Change parent moving objects?

I used to be able to change the parent of objects and the objects would not change concerning the x,y and z parameters. Now for some reason when i change the parent an object these parameters change.

How can i avoid this?

Thanks.

Michel

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

There is an option to "Parent in place." When this is checked, changing an item's parent will not move the item. When it is unchecked, the item will move (and scale!) as dictated by the transformation parameters. I believe you can enable or disable this option by clicking on the Menu icon for the Scene tab, (don't have DS open at the moment.) It is also available in the dialog when you right click on the object in the Scene tab and select "Change Parent."

However, if you have "locked" any of the transformation settings, the values will not change, even with Parent in place enabled.

• Waauw thanks? works great.

• BTX49BTX49 Posts: 2

I had the same problem as Slowmichael.  It just cropped up all of a sudden after working properly forever.  L'Adair's fix solved it!  Thank you!!!

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2020

"Parent in place" is marked in the Scene Tab Menu. But object moves anyway when parented. 

If I right-click the object to activate the "Change Parent" menu, I see "Parent in place" also activated here. But when parented, the objects still move. Damn annoying. It's not a glass on a table, but a complex shape following the genesis curves. Really annoying. 

I exported the object in 3DS Max. Center Pivot / Reset X-Force. Re-imported in the proper place. I parent it again : same result..

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Can you reproduce this using a base fgure and a primitive? If so please post a sample scene.

• I keep running into this bug--and it must be a bug, because I DO have checked Parent in Place in my Scene tab menu, but without fail items keep moving. Is it because I'm parenting to something in a group? This really needs to be adjusted or fixed. It's highly frustrating. I never had this issue before either and now it happens all the time. I'm using DAZ Studio 4.21.

• Does the issue go away if you take the root item, to which other(s) are parented, out of the group?

• nervis.wrecknervis.wreck Posts: 8
    edited March 5

The documentation for parent in place can be found here

The key thing to note is "but the parented object will keep its position relative to the individual bone it is being parented to". It is only relative to the bone that it is being parented to which is why in some cases it will move despite the parent in place option being selected. I wish you could parent the object to another and have it retain it's positioning relative to world center, but so far I haven't figured out how to achieve that.

Post edited by nervis.wreck on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738

nervis.wreck said:

The documentation for parent in place can be found here

The key thing to note is "but the parented object will keep its position relative to the individual bone it is being parented to". It is only relative to the bone that it is being parented to which is why in some cases it will move despite the parent in place option being selected. I wish you could parent the object to another and have it retain it's positioning relative to world center, but so far I haven't figured out how to achieve that.

Well, keeping its position relative to the new parent will keep its position relative to the world until the parrent is moved.