Texture VS. Prop Survey From the AntFarm

AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
edited March 2018 in Daz PA Commercial Products

So I was thinking of still doing the alien ship interior, an idea started months ago in another thread. A really nice set was released before I got to do one so I put the idea on a high shelve. 

Question would you rather have a set or a set of seamless iray textures, that you could use on whatever you wanted.?

Her is an example of what I had in mind for textures, a set in with this vibe.

Thanks for the input in advance.

AntMan 

alientile1render.jpg
974 x 963 - 715K
Post edited by AntMan on

Comments

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024

Here is another one, they would be variations on the theme.

alientile2bArender.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,726

I'm sure I could use something like this, depending on the resolution of the textures. Eagerly anticipating Suspended Railway!

The Maps I made are 4096x4096 what I showed it tiled 2 or 3 times on the shapes and 11 times on the floor.

The Railway should be out around the ninth. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

I would rather have actual textures instead of tileable ones or tileable procedural ones. Tiled textures are to repetitive looking and with actual textures you can address multiple parts on one sheet.

So you don't use procedural? I mean I don't really either but I can see how they can be handy when material zones are present. But this is what i'm asking.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

To clarify, would this be to be used in the currently shelved alien spaceship interior project? Or is this a separate project of tilable textures that came out of work on the other project?

Even on its own, I would be interested in this, with enough variety of textures that worked together. Would be a nice way to reskin an existing set, especially if you end up with other products where the textures fit well together.

• Well, a pack of alien shaders with your expertise behind it would certainly be welcome, and if you used it in the ship's interior you could always add detail with decals (which could also be another nice product: a pack of decals with alien glyphs, military codes, signaling, grime and slime...). In fact, if you made the interior modular and added some props for detailing (half-melted grates, laser-cut panels, sparking cables,...) it could end up being kind of the ultimate sci-fi builder's bundle. Of course, nothing beats a coherently designed product for visual consistency and artistic vision, but versatility has an appeal all of its own. Decisions, decisions,...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    AntMan said:

So you don't use procedural? I mean I don't really either but I can see how they can be handy when material zones are present. But this is what i'm asking.

I do on occasion based on the surface and the size (Mec4D ones are great), but many times you can see the repetition (as in your images) and I try to avoid that when I can. For instance a building model, I have seen ones in the store with tiling textures around the walls. While this might look ok and be efficient, you lose any detail of dirt and wear and tear and anything that makes each wall unique.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Personally I would love to see something that combined the organic look of the protohive combined with a buildable corridor kit system.

I have the protohive and it is cool looking but very difficult to work with since its all one piece. Its also a little too organic to look like a spaceship interior.

But I could imagine an alien race that would build a ship with a similar organic look, representing a hive aesthetic since that is what they are comfortable with, but with hints of more modern alien technology. Think of the organic spaceship from the movie Skyline.

FSMCDesigns, I agree.

I had started to doing a "Alien" style corridor set. Curves, straights and a junction. Then another vendor beat me to the punch, and good for them they did a really nice set. But I had started doing some tile textures for wall fill. So I am asking, do you need another alien style set?... If not I could release the tile textures on there own. But If I did the modular hall set, it sounds like you might like having the texture ties as material presets. That way you could put them on other props. Which I had not thought of.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

I like the idea of some decals to go with the textures. I'm always up for some interesting textures for non-cloth items.

Funny You say that, Daz thought there was no market for this set. So I use them but never offered it. 

Decals 1.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Decals 2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Decals Lab Icons.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    I would definitely agree that if you did release an alien style set and had coordinating tiling textures that would be extremely useful. It makes it much easier to grab furniture from other sets and make it fit the overall look. Also decals+tiling textures are great to keep large areas from being too repetitive. Definitely personally interested in either/both options
  • AntMan said:

Funny You say that, Daz thought there was no market for this set. So I use them but never offered it. 

Those are really cool. If they had a version with blank spaces so that the user could put his own text (for the non-anglophones among us) it would be even better.

• How about an actual alien that looks like the Aliens creature.  They have one for poser, but not one for Daz, Daz does have a few knock offs but nothing close to the original. I like both the decals (but there needs to be more of a variety) and the textures are also cool.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,552

Nice AntFarm. I always like your sets. Textures would be good but kind of only good for something that matches the intended shapes.

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited March 2018
    AntMan said:

GAH! I've been looking for stuff exactly like this. To use either in LIE or just paste them onto a mat in PS. Many of my favorite sets have cool decals, numbers, etc., on them, and if you duplicate them you have to change the numbers (like tube 1, tube 2, etc.). To me its a pain and such a set of decals would make life so much easier.

To the first question: I think I'd rather have a texture set. And that still leaves you free to release an alien inteior later, with those textures. I'm finding cool textures bring a new life to any set.

Post edited by Joe Webb on

It's always good to check and see what make sense to the people buying the products. Thanks to all.

• maraichmaraich Posts: 491

I really only use shaders on small items like jewelry, buckles, glassware, clothing pieces like vests. I think these would look repetitive on walls (which is what I envision them being used on).

Too bad the decal thing didn't fly, that appears quite useful.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

I would buy a set of decals like that. Seems like an odd decision by Daz given some of the really questionable stuff that has been sold. 

AntMan said:

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm always a fan of good textures although I would still buy an alien prop.  Even though I bought the other one.  One is great, two that are a bit different is even better.  but I would definitely buy the textures and what on earth is Daz thinking, those decals would be a great thing to have!

Well As I collect voices that say they would use a decal set maybe, I can sway them.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I would love​ some Giger-style shaders, like those, which could be placed on any surfaces we already have. Would also really like some shaders in the style of the resin/nest, from '​Aliens​', to make everything look like the interior of a whale cadaver.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/alienanthology/images/9/95/Hive_1.jpg
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/1/1e/Normal_alientrailer08.PNG

• I would have love some real time Iray shaders 

I would love​ some Giger-style shaders, like those, which could be placed on any surfaces we already have. Would also really like some shaders in the style of the resin/nest, from '​Aliens​', to make everything look like the interior of a whale cadaver.

Car Paint - Chameleon.png
    91 x 91 - 17K
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

That's a metallic, reflective material. Not very resin-like.

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530
    AntMan said:

I would totally use those. Very well done. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    AntMan said:

I'm to stupid to use decals but I'd like them as LIE able tokens :D

It's a ton more work but if the set is to be made it would most likely have to be LIE type drop ons.

• You know, just because someone else beat you to it wrt making a Geigeresque interior set, doesn't mean you couldn't put out one of your own alongside it, or a build pack (corridors and junctures, maybe?), or whatever, provided it was sufficiently different in shape and scope than the other one.  That said, there's nothing wrong with putting out BOTH a shader pack AND a set, or a building pack or whatever.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,726
    AntMan said:

I want those decals. NOW. Release them; release, I say! Please?

Also, I've been waiting patiently---to no avail---for you to release a set of logo signs (with material zones) so we can make our high-rise cyberpunk scenes actually LOOK cyberpunk. So, I thought I'd put in a request so you'd know that I was waiting. You already have a few available (Outpost, Outpost Fusion Station, Gothic City, Unrealty Downtown, Window Shopping, Sci-Fi Black Market Alley, Anti-Gravity) which I use everywhere. But I need more. More, I tell you!