duf file does not exist despite being right where the program is looking for it.

I installed Daz studio a few months ago. It's been ok despite the worst tutorials ever made, but today, when I tried to run it for the first time since Christmas, product after product is saying that the File does not exist (see image for example.)
When I go to the file location given in the error message, the file is right there, but Daz studio can't see it.
Some files, like the dragon, will open Daz and load themselves if I double click on the Duf file in explorer, but they will NOT load through the rogram.

Averything was installed using the install manager.
I have win10
I tried loading a previously saved scene to be told that some of the files were missing, but they are right THERE where the message says they should be.
How do I get this thing to see the files?

Comments

• Your image isn't showing.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

Try running daz3d with the option, "run as administrator".

Sometimes it is NOT the file that it "states", which it can't find. It can be a file within another file, pointing incorrectly to another file. (Odd things like having hard-coded incorrect "/" instead of "\" for folder-paths. Even invalid or odd character names, or simply a bad variable that doesn't show in the log-files. {using %20, etc, or NBSP or just something that doesn't match the "language" unicode/iso format on your computer.})

I know you said that you "didn't do anything", or "have not used it in _____ days"... But windows goes through all sorts of odd updates. Check that both windows and Daz3D are up to date. (Use the install manager to check for any daz3d updates.)

I would suspect that it is a file-access "permissions" issue. Install manager having individual credentials than Daz3D does. (Can happen if certain security levels are set too. Related to downloading files from "another computer", and people, unaware that they are packing files with thier personal file credentials attached to the file itself.)

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Please be careful with advising this way. You are more likely to CREATE permissions problems by doing this, not solve them.

• RUn as administrator made no difference.
    I have found that if I switch to the self-serve workspace, the files will load. If I use the default workspace, few files show and theywon't load into the scene - just give the error about the file can't be found. I just tried the quickstart tutorial, which I ran when I first installed, and it now fails to work. I get to the part where I'm supposed to select the genesis 3 female, but she's not listed. There's one character showing and that gives the same error.
    I've had another go with the image. I've pasted it in and I've tried to attach it, (but attaching doesn't seem to work.) Maybe one will show.

The files ARE there, right where the program is looking for them, but it can only find them from the self-serve layout.

dazerror.jpg
    405 x 96 - 15K
    dazerror.jpg
    405 x 96 - 15K
  • Everything IS up to date. It's not actually possible to run win10 and it not update itself. Daz version is Daz Studio 4.10.0.123  64bit

• One thing I have noticed, is that the error message is missing the first part of the path. ie  C:/Users/user/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library is not there.
    When I look in the log file, it's the same. The path is ommiting the first few steps.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Omitting the first part of the path is relative addressing.  Studio adds its known libraries in the Content Directory Manager to the partial path until it finds the indicated file.  If you don't have your libraries set up properly then Studio cannot find the file.

• Are you loading from the same place in both layouts? That, and the starting folder for the Content Library, are the only diffrences a chnage of layout could make.

Showing the relative path in the error is correct - that is what is specified in the database and in the files themselves.

This does look like a case of the Content Management System thinking the files are installed via Connect and therefore not being able to read them - if you find the associated product in the products tab of Smart Content what icon does it have at top-right - for a DIM install it would show a downward-pointing triangle in a circle on a colour thumbnail.

• I can see genesis 2 starter essential and genesis starter essentials in the products tab.
    I can double click on starter essentials and select a figure, but I then get the error about it not existing. Thre's no symbol top right, there's just the word 'actor'. Before Christmas, I could load them.
    Let me repeat, this worked as expected when I last used it before Christmas. I have not altered any paths, not uninstalled things, not moved folders around.

• If I uninstall Das studio using the install manager, do I need to uninstall all the other things first? I was thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling.
    As it stands at the moment, I've wasted every penny I spent here unnless I can get it working again.

• Actor means you are looking at the content files, I was asking about the icon for the whole Starter Essentials product in the Products tab of Smart Content.

I'm not sure unisntalling and reinstalling is the best course yet - if this is a firewall or folder permission issue then that will not do anything. Better to try to figure out what is going on.

• If you're uninstalling and reinstalling, try installing it to a different drive than C:\ to avoid Windows' Draconian "security" protocols.

However, if you see everything in one Workspace but not in others, then it's a problem with the program itself.

Is this something the Update and Merge Menus command can fix?

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited March 2018

Have you tried "searching known directories for files", then "rebuilding the database"...

Could some of the items have been loaded by "Daz Connect"... (doesn't that use a virtual "file-path root". It loaded in one profile, but the other root may not be the same, and not trying to actually read from the path it "shows". Sorry, I don't use connect, so I am not entirely sure how it works. I just know that it is more of a hindrance, the way it is setup to operate. Due to the young-age of that applied concept, at the moment.)

I would still suspect that there is some oddity in the actual file that Daz is opening, which is hard-coded, incorrect path, or other issue related to the actual "file contents". (Corrupted files and file-dir issues in windows is still a real issue. Partial failed installs, interrupted directory writes, blank-files and "multiple historic copies", which some programs just can't handle, in code.)

You said it loaded in one profile... Try saving that file again, after it loads. (Could be a version-save issue.) Then try loading that file in the other profile. (That would not be an issue if you are loading it by smart-content, or some other similar internal Daz icon. Well, it could still be an issue with some products. I have tons that will not load, but I don't think they ever did. They are old poser files and old daz files. Literally, just clutter in Daz now. V4 and pre-V4 generation garbage.)

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Everything was installed using the install manager (or whatever it's called) the thing you download from Daz and which lists everything ready for download. I only installed this last year, just before Christmas. Everything worked then. Now it doesn't. I have no idea what you mean by one profile.
    If I use the manual window, things will load, but I have no idea how to use that window. If I use the normal window, the one the tutorial uses, nothing loads. I have no idea what the update and merge menus are.
    What is 'searching directories for files'? Where is it? How do I try to rebuild the database? I'd done the tutorial and made a couple of looks before Christmas, and then it stopped working. I didn't alter anything, but even the tutorial no longer works. the files it says to load don't show where it says they are, (where they were showing before Christmas)  and the things that do show just spark the error about no duf file.
    My account has full admin privileges, and it all worked before Christmas.

• If I click on the icon for the barefoot dancer, it says that the duf file does not exist. If I right cick and select browse to file location, it's right there, as this screen shot shows.

dazerror.jpg
    987 x 553 - 186K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I'm not familiar with "file explorer" or whatever they are calling it in Windows 10 these days, but I noticed something odd in your screenshot. What exactly is that folder path shown at the top of the explorer window: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Scene Builder\Starter Essentials? Normally there is no "Documents" folder under C:\Users\Public. It should be, as shown in the address bar, "Public Documents". Am I misinterpreting something here?

Also, what happens if you select the Content Library tab instead of Smart Content and locate the Barefoot Dancer.duf file there and click on it? Does that also give you the error message?

• SixDs said:

I'm not familiar with "file explorer" or whatever they are calling it in Windows 10 these days, but I noticed something odd in your screenshot. What exactly is that folder path shown at the top of the explorer window: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Scene Builder\Starter Essentials? Normally there is no "Documents" folder under C:\Users\Public. It should be, as shown in the address bar, "Public Documents". Am I misinterpreting something here?

Also, what happens if you select the Content Library tab instead of Smart Content and locate the Barefoot Dancer.duf file there and click on it? Does that also give you the error message?

Sorry for delayed reply. I have to scroll through the forum to refind this thread each time. Is there a quicker way to get to it?

I'm currently installing everything onto another PC with Win 10, so that I can compare what happens and where things are. This PC hasn't been on for a while so it's probably also trying to download win10 updates so this may take a while. I'll have a look at the content library tab when I boot up the laptop again.
    You're right about the address being different. On this PC it's Users\public documents. Maybe Microsoft have changed Win 10's structure. When everything is updated on here, I'll see if it's changed.

• SixDs said:

I'm now on the laptop. I won't get everything installed on the pc anytime soon. I'm going to have to stop it and turn it off soon.
    To answer your question: yes, if I select the content library tab, find the barefoot dancer and click on her, I get that same error message. If I right click and open file location, the duf file is present in the window that opens.

• Was this issue ever solved and if so, what is the work around. I'm having this exact same issue.

Have you tried "searching known directories for files", then "rebuilding the database"... JD_Mortal

Does anyone know where I can find the above commands?

Thanks in advance for any help.