Baikal - OpenCL rendering plugin for DAZ Studio (planning stages)

Hello folks. I'm currently in the early stages of planning for an OpenCL renderer based in part on the development version of the next version of Radeon ProRender. My eventual goals for this are to provide support for nVidia MDL shaders and possibly DAZ Iray Uber. Are there any features you would like to see included in such a renderer? Please post suggestions, and I will do my best to provide them at some point, though I cannot promise all will make it in.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

Nice. Will you also be developing/providing a standalone version of prorenderer? I have only seen it listed in plugin format and not for DS at the moment. Would be great if the renderer could be integrated into DS like Iray so there could be a preview mode

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...will it allow for proper GPU assisted rendering similar to Octane so those of us with lower memory cards can still see a performance boost?

Lux development abandoned that which is one of the reasons why I pulled the plug on Reality.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    kyoto kid said:

...will it allow for proper GPU assisted rendering similar to Octane so those of us with lower memory cards can still see a performance boost?

Lux development abandoned that which is one of the reasons why I pulled the plug on Reality.

That would be a big plus!

Other good features could include:

- Multi-machine/Renderfarm rendering

- Windows and Linux versions

- The promo for ProRender mentions that it has both interactive (during rendering) and final render denoising to cut render times.  This would be a great feature to retain.

Just some initial thoughts.

Thank you for considering doing such a big project!   Have you considered a crowdfunding campaign?

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

Network Rendering to a Linux server. This is especially a big deal for Mac users who can’t add more GPUs to make things faster. But everybody can benefit from fire-and-forget renders that allow you to get on with your work while a cheap box full of video cards does the heavy lifting. 

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Esemwy said:

Network Rendering to a Linux server. This is especially a big deal for Mac users who can’t add more GPUs to make things faster. But everybody can benefit from fire-and-forget renders that allow you to get on with your work while a cheap box full of video cards does the heavy lifting. 

Yes!  Or even several cheap boxes with minimal video cards! 

Reality/Luxrender has a feature that allows you to export a "package" with everything needed for the render, and transfer that to another machine for the actual rendering.  For example, I created a package for a complex render on an older Windows machine (PoserPro 2012, Reality 4, Luxrender 1.5), then put that on a thumb drive.   I then ran the render on a newer, faster machine which had Ubuntu Linux 12.1 and the Ubuntu version of LuxRender 1.5 installed.   It could have just as easily been multiple Linux machines.  While the render progressed, I was back on the Windows machine setting up another scene.  This feature also works for Macs.  Unfortunately, Luxrender has not been updated for a while, and the newer OpenCL drivers don't work with it.

• Okay, that was fast feedback... Network/Standalone rendering, sure. Linux server, most likely. Mac support will require a volunteer coder, as I do not currently own a Mac. On the subject of a crowdfunding campaign, hmm...
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    Hello folks. I'm currently in the early stages of planning for an OpenCL renderer based in part on the development version of the next version of Radeon ProRender. My eventual goals for this are to provide support for nVidia MDL shaders and possibly DAZ Iray Uber. Are there any features you would like to see included in such a renderer? Please post suggestions, and I will do my best to provide them at some point, though I cannot promise all will make it in.

As long as the render engine comes with a way to convert Daz lights & shaders to this render engine and is fully intergrated into Daz this is something I will buy. Oh how about a OpenGL(better than the one builtin to Daz studio with more settings) quick render preview function that is fast before commiting to full render.

• Hello folks. I'm currently in the early stages of planning for an OpenCL renderer based in part on the development version of the next version of Radeon ProRender. My eventual goals for this are to provide support for nVidia MDL shaders and possibly DAZ Iray Uber. Are there any features you would like to see included in such a renderer? Please post suggestions, and I will do my best to provide them at some point, though I cannot promise all will make it in.

As long as the render engine comes with a way to convert Daz lights & shaders to this render engine and is fully intergrated into Daz this is something I will buy. Oh how about a OpenGL(better than the one builtin to Daz studio with more settings) quick render preview function that is fast before commiting to full render.

From what I can tell, there are only minor differences between the shader implementations in Iray, Cycles and ProRender, so that part is probably not going difficult; I haven't yet looked into the lighting part of things. And yes, I've given a bit of thought to a preview mode, though not much at the moment.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

This would be good.

The ability to use both NVidia and AMD cards with the AMD's renderer is pretty cool.

• nicstt said:

This would be good.

The ability to use both NVidia and AMD cards with the AMD's renderer is pretty cool.

Yep.
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577
    Okay, that was fast feedback... Network/Standalone rendering, sure. Linux server, most likely. Mac support will require a volunteer coder, as I do not currently own a Mac. On the subject of a crowdfunding campaign, hmm...

I speak Mac and Linux pretty well. I have a day job, but porting cleanly written programs (i.e. not MFC) is something I’m willing to do if you need the help. 

• Esemwy said:
    Okay, that was fast feedback... Network/Standalone rendering, sure. Linux server, most likely. Mac support will require a volunteer coder, as I do not currently own a Mac. On the subject of a crowdfunding campaign, hmm...

I speak Mac and Linux pretty well. I have a day job, but porting cleanly written programs (i.e. not MFC) is something I’m willing to do if you need the help. 

Fair enough, and I have examples of code that should pass your requirements to work from. :)
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587

From what I can tell, there are only minor differences between the shader implementations in Iray, Cycles and ProRender, so that part is probably not going difficult; I haven't yet looked into the lighting part of things. And yes, I've given a bit of thought to a preview mode, though not much at the moment.

The opengl in daz is being neglected but it is the go to render mode on my laptop because it uses so few resources and does not burn up my laptop. Laptops are expensive and they have crap cooling so when I want to render on my laptop I use opengl. If your render plugin has a better Opengl than Daz offers it will be a great value for people who can't afford Nvidia Iray but still want to get stuff done. I use Photoshop to overcome the limitations of Opengl renders to make great artwork so the more render engine available the better. Oh went to Radeon ProRender site and looked at the specs this looks like a better render engine than Nvidia Iray because it does not lock out hardware. I foresee good things if you are able to bring this to market.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

..well, unless you have an older Nvidia card that doesn't support the latest OpenCL version.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

Sounds awesome. My only wish is that it's easy to use

• kyoto kid said:

..well, unless you have an older Nvidia card that doesn't support the latest OpenCL version.

Last I checked, the only OpenCL support that is guaranteed to be complete in the nVidia drivers is 1.2; as long as the installed drivers support that, older cards will be fine.
    bradrg said:

Sounds awesome. My only wish is that it's easy to use

It should be little different than using Iray, but I will do my best to write a manual for it.
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

I would throw my hat in for testing on Mac since I have a newer 8-Core Mac Pro (Dual AMD).  But coder?  Unfortunately I am not.

As for things I would like to see aside from Mac OS support obviously...Anyway to give us the ability to leverage mixed rendering the way Nvidia Iray and DAZ allow for you to select all of your GPUs plus your CPU?

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660

I'll also push for Mac support, and would definitely get it if there was. Happy to do some testing too. I am about to have a new iMac with Radeon 580, and also have a couple older macs. 

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2018

Supporting DAZ Iray Uber and all the content in the store designed for it (out of the box), and rendering them reasonably similar, would make this inifitely more useful than if it didn't, IMHO. 

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited March 2018

I've used quite a few physically based render engines (Iray, Cycles, Luxrender, Kerkythea, etc) and the materials between all of them are very similar. I mean, they're almost entirely based on physical formulas which would make them all work basically the same. The only differences are implementation, wording, etc. For instance, Iray uses transmission for SSS and Luxrender uses absorption....they amount to more or less the same thing, only each one is coming from the opposite end of the "spectrum" so to speak. I think that's why I was able to pick up Iray so fast. If you've used Luxrender or Iray, you should be able to understand the new one without too much trouble and it shouldn't take too long to get one's head around the materials.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

I've used quite a few physically based render engines (Iray, Cycles, Luxrender, Kerkythea, etc) and the materials between all of them are very similar. I mean, they're almost entirely based on physical formulas which would make them all work basically the same. The only differences are implementation, wording, etc. For instance, Iray uses transmission for SSS and Luxrender uses absorption....they amount to more or less the same thing, only each one is coming from the opposite end of the "spectrum" so to speak. I think that's why I was able to pick up Iray so fast. If you've used Luxrender or Iray, you should be able to understand the new one without too much trouble and it shouldn't take too long to get one's head around the materials.

Laurie

Under the hood, all PBR renderers use the same building blocks; as you say, the exact meaning depends on the target render engine, but they all should work if the right conversion process exists.
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Under the hood, all PBR renderers use the same building blocks; as you say, the exact meaning depends on the target render engine, but they all should work if the right conversion process exists.

Yeah, I'm sure whatever you eventually come up with won't take too long to grasp :).

• Hello folks. I'm currently in the early stages of planning for an OpenCL renderer based in part on the development version of the next version of Radeon ProRender. My eventual goals for this are to provide support for nVidia MDL shaders and possibly DAZ Iray Uber. Are there any features you would like to see included in such a renderer? Please post suggestions, and I will do my best to provide them at some point, though I cannot promise all will make it in.

Any news?

• Daywalker Designs said:

has there been any news on this? I'd also Love to know if something like this could possibly be used for Rendering?

https://coloradoengineering.com/standard-products/vortex-intel-agilex-fpga-pcie-accelerator/  ;