UV Mapper Pro is no longer available?

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Has anyone heard if the owner of the UV mapper site is still working on the purchase section of his site?  I have checked periodically over the last months maybe longer, and it still says the site is updating the ecommerce solution for secure purchase handling. I even emailed Stephen Cox the owner of said product and got no reply. 

Can anyone suggest another program in the same price range and ease of use that I could get as an alternative?  I looked at UV layout but a little more pricey than I would like.

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Mr. Cox is notorious for disappearing and not answering emails. It's too bad too. I still use an old version of UVM Pro. It's really gonna stink when it's no longer working because it's too ancient.

Laurie

• Kharma said:

Has anyone heard if the owner of the UV mapper site is still working on the purchase section of his site?  I have checked periodically over the last months maybe longer, and it still says the site is updating the ecommerce solution for secure purchase handling. I even emailed Stephen Cox the owner of said product and got no reply. 

Can anyone suggest another program in the same price range and ease of use that I could get as an alternative?  I looked at UV layout but a little more pricey than I would like.

I'm not the best educated at UV things, but Blender helped me out when I needed some UV's sorting.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

I love Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro. In addition to UVMapping, It's also good for basic mesh editting and import/exort of lots of various formats

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Thank you for the information.  I hope the owner gets back to me about he future of UVMapper, in the meantime I will check out the UV options in Blender as I have that but @FSMCDesigns I went to the Unwrap 3D Pro website and it looks like they only accept payment by PayPal which I don't use.  I am not sure what the share It link was for but when I clicked it i got an error message that said the 64 bit version wasn't available and my cart was empty.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Kharma,

Check the payment options because many sites say Paypal, but when you go through the payment process you find that the Paypal option is also for credit cards.

I still use an older version of UVM Pro - version 2.0, actually. I did buy v3.0, but some of the changes make my workflow impossible.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    AllenArt said:

Mr. Cox is notorious for disappearing and not answering emails. It's too bad too. I still use an old version of UVM Pro. It's really gonna stink when it's no longer working because it's too ancient.

Laurie

I would not buy from someone who had a rep for that.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited March 2018

This is a bit off-topic, but do any of these mentioned products make the process significantly easier than UV mapping in Blender? I'm frustrated with how irregular and "squishy" Blender's UVs are when you use the normal Unwrap that respects seams and tries to keep quads together. I'm wondering if other software will do a better job for me, or if all UV mappers create maps requiring a lot of adjustment by hand.

Post edited by Inkubo on
    Inkubo said:

This is a bit off-topic, but do any of these mentioned products make the process significantly easier than UV mapping in Blender? I'm frustrated with how irregular and "squishy" Blender's UVs are when you use the normal Unwrap that respects seams and tries to keep quads together. I'm wondering if other software will do a better job for me, or if all UV mappers create maps requiring a lot of adjustment by hand.

Not particularly. I only use the software to find and correct coplanars, split verts, etc.

Laurie

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    Inkubo said:

I have never used the mapping options in Blender, so can't tell you, but there are a few mapping options in UU3D and here are some tutorials to give you a better idea

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorials.aspx

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295

If you want another alternative option you could try Wings 3d which is free and I have had great success with it, better then with uvmapper.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

@maclean I will check out the paypal options more and see if it accespt credit card 

@Faeryl Womyn I will also check out wings3d, never tried it

@FSMCDesigns i will look at those tutorial links also

thanks for the suggestions

• UV mapper was the best UV mapper..You import...it breaks it down and then you have a whole JPG/PNG you can take to Photoshop and start painting.  So easy.  

There are better things available now. Some free, some for very little money, some really expensive. One just has to prioritize as to which one would serve them the most ;)

Laurie

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 606
    edited July 2018

There is this one (free):

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page6.htm

You must download the Maya version. It is in fact the Windows version that works as a standalone program.

There are also links to some tutorials and you can download the user manual.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Unseen on
  • SDevSDev Posts: 158
    edited July 2018
    Maybe one of the best solutions for unfolding ... https://www.rizom-lab.com/ https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=z2QvajdFHes# cheers, Peter
    Post edited by SDev on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Inkubo said:

I have never used the mapping options in Blender, so can't tell you, but there are a few mapping options in UU3D and here are some tutorials to give you a better idea

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorials.aspx

Ultimate Unwrap 3d is like UV Mapper Pro on steroids.  About the same money too and Brad is always updating Unwrap 3D so you may want to look into that as an option! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

...checked out Ultimate Unwrap 3D, looks great and was dismayed that they only take payment through PayPal or something called "ShareIt!"(which sounds like another "middleman" payment service similar to PayPal). I don't use PayPal because of previous hacks that occurred and issues some people have experienced with that service.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    kyoto kid said:

...checked out Ultimate Unwrap 3D, looks great and was dismayed that they only take payment through PayPal or something called "ShareIt!"(which sounds like another "middleman" payment service similar to PayPal). I don't use PayPal because of previous hacks that occurred and issues some people have experienced with that service.

Most smaller software companies use some kind of payment service like ShareIt, Avangate, Cleverbridge etc., and many use PayPal also as an alternative option. I've been using PayPal since 2001 and made hundreds of purchases, never had a problem. Same with the other companies which I've been using hundreds of times as well.

The PayPal horror stories are generally from people who are receving payments (I do too but so far no problems here either), as long as you just use them for purchasing there's nothing to worry about IMO.

...my bank also charges me a fee for fund transfers that are account to account.  If it is a direct purchase with my debit card, there is no fee involved.  This is why I don't do eBay as you pretty much need a PayPal account there as well.  Bugger as the price is right compared to 3DCoat or UV Layout.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

The stories of PayPal being hacked were false.  Some users' accounts may have been hacked, but that was on them...poor security practices on their part, like making purchases at sites that wern't secure from start to finish.

If your bank charges you a fee to transfer your own money from one account to another (checking tos savings, for instance), then you should find another bank!  Preferably a credit union.  Credit unions are for the members.  I've been with a credit union for decades.

Also, I've had no issues receiving payments via PayPal, either.  Once, a payment took a few days to clear, but that was probably a bank thing rather than a PayPal issue.  I only take payments via PayPal on my website.  No messing with taking personal financial information from people.  I don't want to know anyone's credit card info or checking account info.

Dana

kyoto kid said:

...my bank also charges me a fee for fund transfers that are account to account.  If it is a direct purchase with my debit card, there is no fee involved.  This is why I don't do eBay as you pretty much need a PayPal account there as well.  Bugger as the price is right compared to 3DCoat or UV Layout.

I have a bank account connected to my PayPal account, there are no fees involved when PayPal draws the money from the bank account when doing a purchase.

• Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

I have a bank account connected to my PayPal account, there are no fees involved when PayPal draws the money from the bank account when doing a purchase.

You can also, at least in the UK, link PayPal to a credit card - not sure about debit cards - which should avoid any transfer fees.

edited July 2018
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

You can also, at least in the UK, link PayPal to a credit card - not sure about debit cards - which should avoid any transfer fees.

That's actually what I meant, just forgot that the PayPal payments goes via the card which is issued by my bank (all I see is the amounts being drawn from the account). And that card is a debit card (Mastercard).

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2018
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

...not sure I'd want some third party service having that sort of direct access to my bank account. Just one more possible backdoor.

However, we are going off the rails here.  Apologies for bringing the matter up.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    kyoto kid said:

I buy from e-bay and I've never needed PayPal. I use both a credit card and a debit card there, and I've never had any issues or been asked to use PayPal. I mentioned earlier in this thread that quite often when you click the PayPal option, it also accepts any credit card.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

...not sure I'd want some third party service having that sort of direct access to my bank account. Just one more possible backdoor.

However, we are going off the rails here.  Apologies for bringing the matter up.

You don't have to link a bank account to your PayPal account, in fact I don't think you even need a PayPal account to pay with a credit card through PayPal.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

The one thing UVMapper did that I'm having problems finding anything else that does it, is welding vertexes between mesh groups, while keeping the group information.

• Valandar said:

The one thing UVMapper did that I'm having problems finding anything else that does it, is welding vertexes between mesh groups, while keeping the group information.

Modo should do that, though if you don't already have it it's an expensive option. Lightwave will do it too.

...unfortunately of those are expensive solutions many here cannot afford.

I am really hoping that the current upgrade project for Hexagon will also result in it having much improved mapping tools.  I'd rather have that than sculpting.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    kyoto kid said:

...unfortunately of those are expensive solutions many here cannot afford.

I am really hoping that the current upgrade project for Hexagon will also result in it having much improved mapping tools.  I'd rather have that than sculpting.

I have the same problem. One option I have seen mentioned is Roadkill UV Tool, which is free. The Maya installer includes the stand alone program. There are also links to tutorials on that page.

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page6.htm