DAZ Crashes with IRAY and GPUs - Crashes PC

Hi all, I am trying to diagnose my crashing problems in Studio when I use IRAY with my 2 Nvidia Geforce 980 TIs. The crash kills DAZ and either freezes my PC or gives me the BSOD in Windows 10.

OS/Hardware:

Windows 10. DAZ Studio 4.10.0.123. One internal 980 TI and one external 980 TI.

Attempted solutions:

Updated all drivers for CPU (including OpenCL) and GPU drivers. Uninstalled Studio and reinstalled it. Tested a render using GPUs separately.

Circumstances:

For a year I have been pretty happy with my 2x 980s and they have been working pretty well and giving me a huge speed gain for IRAY rendering. About a week ago renders all of a sudden just stopped completing and the PC either crashes or BSODs. Now I can only get a successful IRAY render completed when I use CPU rendering only as the photoreal device. I have even tried using both GPUs separately but would get the same results - PC hangs or BSOD after about a minute or two of rendering on to a file or rendering in the viewport. The error messages on the BSODs are different every time and sometimes there are no messages. I grabbed a section of my log where the error occurs and when I restart Studio. The log starts where I load a file called 'Archeology-Dig-02.duf' where it starts to render then crashes. The log picks up again when I start DAZ back up and ends where I manually disable all the GPUs. 

As far as I know, I have not done anything drastic to my render settings and have been at the most recent Studio version since the update came out months ago without any problems. I am trying to rule out if it is a hardware problem. The external GPU has its own power supply so it's not competing for voltage and the internal GPU has been inside the PC long before I had the second external GPU and it did well without voltage problems. My 3d video games seem to be working fine too. There have been no electrical mishaps as far as I know of in the timeframe of the sudden crashing like storms causing sudden powerouttages and power spikes. I have had many power outtages where I live and the power surges have never affected my PC. So I am thinking this is a DAZ Studio issue but could use some help locating the problems.

Thanks, log attached- 

txt
txt
log-02282018.txt

Comments

• The log has a warning:

WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(MDLC:COMPILER):   1.0   MDLC   comp warn : C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\daz_3d\irayubermaterial.mdl(422,20): conversion from 'float' to 'color' must be explicit

I've never noticed that one before... Usually in pprogramming code, unhandled conversions of anything usually causes something to blow up.

• But anyway, I am grasping at straws at this point so any suggestions and/or common experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

• I get the same problem. Most often a BSOD. Also on Windows 10, rendering with Nvidia Titan X, using either IRAY or the integrated Octane plugin. All my drivers are updated and tried reinstalling. 

• pfunkyfizepfunkyfize Posts: 475

I get the same problem. Most often a BSOD. Also on Windows 10, rendering with Nvidia Titan X, using either IRAY or the integrated Octane plugin. All my drivers are updated and tried reinstalling. 

I am looking around other technical forums for the answer to this, my rig was working with 2 separate GPUs before. Good to know i'm not the only one...

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Here's the kind of stuff I typically do to diagnose issues like this:

When you have a difficult problem, it’s important that you first simplify your computer so it’s easier to isolate the source of the problem(s). Get rid of all unnecessary components and see if you can get your computer working, then add them back one at a time and check them individually until the problem re-appears.

1. Turn off and unplug the machine
    2. Open the case and see if there's any obvious issues, like dust clogging the GPU or other fans
    3. If you have onboard video, remove the GPU
    4. Remove any other expansion cards that aren't absolutely necessary.
    5. Consider uninstalling any software/drivers that aren’t absolutely necessary, and that you can easily re-install later.  
    6. Unplug any other non-essential external devices other than mouse, keyboard, and monitor (and connect that to the onboard video)
    7. Close the case and boot the machine. Take note of the beeps on startup.
    8. Can you boot into Windows okay? If not, it's more likely you have a basic system problem, like failing hard drive, Windows problem, hardware/motherboard problem, power supply, etc., which might take some basic system/BIOS troubleshooting.  
    9. If you can, and you have Windows 10, go to Start/Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance/View Reliability History and see what messages/errors are there for the last few days, especially prior to when the problems started. It might (hopefully) tell you what failed. Also check to see if you had a GPU driver update recently, or other software updates. This could help to determine if there might be a bad driver.
    10. You can also start checking individual components, such as using chkdsk for the hard drive, test the memory, etc. Keep in mind that hard drives that are in the process of failing might cause weird, intermittent problems that might seem unrelated.
    11. If all is well at this point you can start focusing on the external/expansion devices like the GPU. Add one at a time and re-install their drivers to see if everything is still okay
    12. If you have some issues during renders that seem to be related to the GPU, try to completely uninstall the NVIDIA drivers using an app named “Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)”, then re-install a driver that might have worked in the past.
  • I had similar issue, following resolved the problem for me. I used MSI Afterburner to lower the clock temprorly before starting Daz3D. May be you can try:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-and-has-successfully-recovered.3471967/

Factory overclocked model (as suspected). GPU clocks are
    boost 1137 MHz / base 1059 MHz

Nvidia reference clocks are
    boost 1085 MHz / base 1020 MHz

Reduce clocks to Nvidia reference levels.

PSU is fine BTW. Nvidia recommends minimum 300W, MSI recommends 400W (for this card model).