March 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

@Diomede - ACK! So sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing the information. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a thread in Art Studio. That's how I ended up being invited by @Linwelly to participate here. I will need to check out that series. It sounds like a lot of fun.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Diomede said:

@Wanderer - RRRR is fun.  The basic idea is that you use random numbers to select 4 items from your product library.  You then have to create a render that includes those four items.  Yup, if you pull a buffalo, a basement set, a WWI army uniform, and a shark, you have to combine them in a render.  There is often a theme, but not always.  This time the theme  is "Judged by the Cover."  There are two prize categories, best render and funniest.  Find more here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/233496/rrrr-judged-by-the-cover-render-contest/p1

Aaargh.  Studio crashed and burned on me.  Was going to try to use DForce for an Egyptian dress. Fatal error just trying to use the transfer utility first.  I'm hoping it is just that I had too much going on because I still had my modeling program open, and I had some high poly hair in the scene when Studio crashed.

I've been having lots of crashed when it comes to d-force, there are some threads out there with good advice about the preceedings, I especially wand to add this link https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more/p1 as they keep a pdf (link on the first page) updated with ongoing information, so you don't have to work through all the pages.

Second tip for d-force experiments, don't do them in the establisched scene you later want to use it. create a second scene with only the necessary items, (for a dress the figure in the right pose and the dress) and safe the draped dress as a prop (usually the settings will be correct so ds sees it again as a clothign item)  and in the complete scene only load the new prop.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited March 2018

@Linwelly - thank you for the quick reply, and for the link.  I've actually made a little progress along the lines of a separate scene.  Am looking forward to using the linked pdf to avoid having to reinvent the wheel with endless experiments.  The thread is a great resource and will be a welcome time saver.

Here is what I've managed to work on with the online video tutorials.. 

- The first thing was the transfer utility.  It worked fine once I started a new scene.  Saved the Egyptian dress as a wearable preset for G8F and it fits to VYusur's Tanya character despite some scaling changes.

- Initiating DForce.  Turns out there was some uncompiled kernel somewhere.  .

- After sorting out the compiling issue, the dress draped with the default settings on G8F Tanya, but had a small amount of poke through.  I'm ready to play with the simulation settings, especially applying different parameters for the collar and the dress.

Am looking forward to the possibilities.  smiley

aa01 error explained.JPG
    942 x 691 - 89K
    aa02b drape poke through.jpg
    2400 x 3106 - 973K
    Post edited by Diomede on

@Diomede you probably need to dial the nipples away for that type of poke through ;) its a recurring issue even on normal terms of wardrobe failure.

Besides the you can still increase the collision iterations on the draped and safed item to reduce eventual pokethrough, its often the quicker solution to endless redraping.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@Diomede Did you know that you can still do some minor adjustments to your outfit after you've used dForce on it? I've found that I can still use the adjustment sliders on an outfit if the vendor provided some even after applying dForce to get rid of some minor poke through. Not sure it will work in every case but something to try. @Linwelly's suggestion of dialing out the nipples is a good one, too. They tend to get in the way of a lot of clothing fits.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Diomede said:

Here is what I've managed to work on with the online video tutorials.. 

- The first thing was the transfer utility.  It worked fine once I started a new scene.  Saved the Egyptian dress as a wearable preset for G8F and it fits to VYusur's Tanya character despite some scaling changes.

- Initiating DForce.  Turns out there was some uncompiled kernel somewhere.  .

- After sorting out the compiling issue, the dress draped with the default settings on G8F Tanya, but had a small amount of poke through.  I'm ready to play with the simulation settings, especially applying different parameters for the collar and the dress.

Am looking forward to the possibilities.  smiley

On the Simulation Settings tab, under Collision, look for Collision Mesh Resolution and set it to "Viewport".

If need be, set Collision Mode to "Best"

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2018

I'm a little late joining in and I still have to read all the tutorials and posts (and finish something else I've been working on) so it will be a couple of days before I can start in earnest. I'm just checking in to see if this image fits the brief. I found it on Pixabay.

I've not done the New Use Competition before and I think this challenge is perfect for me because posing is one of the things I spend hours on. I'm pretty sure I'm doing things the hard way!

action-1850677_1920.jpg
    1467 x 1920 - 204K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

I'm a little late joining in and I still have to read all the tutorials and posts (and finish something else I've been working on) so it will be a couple of days before I can start in earnest. I'm just checking in to see if this image fits the brief. I found it on Pixabay.

I've not done the New Use Competition before and I think this challenge is perfect for me because posing is one of the things I spend hours on. I'm pretty sure I'm doing things the hard way!

I'm speechless, this looks like a photo. Come one...this is a photo, right? wink

I see absulotely nothing who isn't look perfect.

Only thing what I miss, is a reference photo.

That is my reference photo. Sorry for the confusion! If I could do that I would be estatic, lol smiley

That is my reference photo. Sorry for the confusion! If I could do that I would be estatic, lol smiley

What a relief, I doubted at my own skills, when I saw that.laugh

@Mollytabby  Your reference pose looks good. A nice challenge while not too difficult. Good luck!

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

@ Barbult Totte & Linwelly

No baseline  = no context = flat = "no future."  Have to figure that one out.  May or may not update.

best

--Bruce

• DangerDetectiveDangerDetective Posts: 30
    edited March 2018

It’s been a busy week at work, so my responses are a bit late.

@Tynkere Nightwing is fine, I added the 678 to personalize the title incase there was another Nightwing lurking around the forums. Thanks for the compliment, I have to fight the urge to nitpick it myself.

@Wanderer Thanks for the compliment. Since coming to the monthly challenges, I’ve also been impressed with the skills I’ve seen the various contributors use in their submissions. For example, the tweaking you demonstrated on fixing your Ultraman figure was definitely outside my skill level. I wish I could absorb everyone’s knowledge instantly, but it doesn’t work that way, lol. Great interpretation of your source image btw. I wasn’t expecting Godzilla, very fun image!

@Knittingmommy @RA Thanks for the encouraging comments on the post production. This style is the result of years of dabbling in various image editors. My goal was to achieve a hand drawn/painted look for photos without having to do any paint over. I used Photoshop with the aid of some old plugins I found years ago plus a couple of filters from Filter Forge mixed in. My advice for finding a style is use subtlety, find filters or plugins you like and play around with transparency over your original image. Also, don’t underestimate how much adjusting contrast curves can add to your image.

Post edited by DangerDetective on
    Tynkere said:

@ Barbult Totte & Linwelly

No baseline  = no context = flat = "no future."  Have to figure that one out.  May or may not update.

best

--Bruce

I think you're not that far away from a good result. Working in 3DL for the first time coming from iray is a piece of work for most people as it has more things you need to do yourself instead of the rendrer doing it automatically. Once you can grab the concept it opens new possibilities as well.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited March 2018

Here is my 3rd version. I have added a wooden floor and used morphs to enhance the curve of her hips. I know @KnittingMommy said she would try and recommend a morph for me

Post edited by Chohole on

@Linwelly - "Second tip for d-force experiments"... Thank you so much for the tip. I hadn't thought of that. Very useful. I'm thinking I may need to begin thinking in terms of layers sometimes, assembling elements for the final render.

@Diomede - The experts have chimed in. I'm learning a lot.

@everyone - Sorry for hogging the thread with my Ultraman issues. Glad to hear from some others.

@Tynkere - Hope you continue. Would hate to lose what you bring to this.

@Mollytabby - Looks like a good one. Welcome to the club! 

@Night678winG - Hey, it's above my skill level as well since I have no idea what I did exactly. lol... I documented it and stumbled upon the answer while doing so. I hope if someone else has similar issues, it will help. In the process, I discovered a glimpse into the so-called dark work/side of things. Once the sphere showed up, it was just mostly copying parameters from the other thigh. Now, about that jewel you tossed out. That glimmer is the sort of thing that is so easily missed in a wall of text, but so so crucial. Don't think I won't be inspired by you to try some things now that you've shared details and advice. Glad you're here.

@daybird - Glad to see you're still around. Was beginning to think that illness had you down still.

• DangerDetectiveDangerDetective Posts: 30
    edited March 2018

Early in the month I had experimented with several poses before finally settling on the one I chose to submit. After revisitng at the ones I didn't choose, they seemed to hint at a sequential story. I put the whole set together just for fun. I know the poses aren't 100% accurate to the source pictures, but I did the work so decided to share.

All of the photos used have adequate permission for reposting.   

Just for fun 1.jpg
    1000 x 1632 - 544K
    Just for fun 2.jpg
    1000 x 1632 - 800K
    Post edited by DangerDetective on

@sueya Okay, I've figured out how to get the sway in her back. It's late here and I have to get up early to see about getting my car fixed. When I get home, I'll redo the pose and take screenshots this time to show how I got the severe bend in her back. Turns out you don't need any extra morphs. It's just all in how you start the bends. Screenshots will probably show you better than I can explain. I'll do them as soon as I get home tomorrow.

Wanderer said:

@daybird - Glad to see you're still around. Was beginning to think that illness had you down still.

Well, I'm still feel not well, but the 'main event' seems over....

sueya said:

Here is my 3rd version. I have added a wooden floor and used morphs to enhance the curve of her hips. I know @KnittingMommy said she would try and recommend a morph for me

Ok sueya, I think the main problem in your pose is, that her hip is not in the right start position. I attached two pics to show you what I mean. 

Pic 1. Klick on your figur and then select pose controls

Pic 2. There click on Torso and on the right side set Hip Bend to 100%

Now click  in the viewport on the Right Tigh Bend and set him to max 35%

I think this is a good start position to bring the rest of the body in a better balance.

pic 1.jpg
    2090 x 1320 - 334K
    pic 2.jpg
    2090 x 1320 - 343K

@daybird  You're close! Just need to take it a little further because the lower abdomen isn't quite in the right position either.

@sueya I'm using Phoenix for Victoria 7 in my screenshots, but this should work for both Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 figures. I didn't have to turn off any limits but you might have to for certain body types. Get it as close as you can before turning off limits and then turn them off if you need to do so.

Okay, so here is what I discovered when I went looking for that morph. Turns out it was a morph I had paid for so you might not have it. So, I looked at a Victoria 7 figure to see how close I could get the pose without a morph. Turns out if you do it in the right order, you can get pretty darn close.

First, select your figure's hip. (DancePose01) You should be able to do this without messing up the leg pose you already have. You might have to modify the legs a little bit once you get her in a position you like. But, bend the hips back as far as you can get it. (DancePose02) You don't need to turn off limits. Then, select the lower abdomen and bend it back as far as you can. This is what gives it that little extra dip in the back like your reference photo. (DancePose03 & DancePose04) After that, go back to the pelvis/hip bone and add some twist to match your reference image. (DancePose05) At this point, you could adjust her legs somewhat if you hadn't already had them in position. Or you can wait until the next step to do the legs. (DancePose06)

Next, you want to select the entire figure and rotate the whole figure until her upper body matches your reference image. (DancePose07) Make the rest of your adjustments twisting and fine-tuning the rest of the pose until you get it the way you like. Finish getting the legs under her. 

Let me know if anything is unclear. Sorry, it took so long. It took longer to deal with getting my car fixed than I thought it would. As unexpected as it was, I needed to get it repaired as quickly as possible.

DancePose01.jpg
    801 x 789 - 88K
    DancePose02.jpg
    1296 x 776 - 131K
    DancePose03.jpg
    834 x 787 - 97K
    DancePose04.jpg
    1295 x 752 - 118K
    DancePose05.jpg
    1300 x 777 - 121K
    DancePose06.jpg
    1285 x 785 - 123K
    DancePose07.jpg
    1307 x 808 - 149K
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    Linwelly said:

I think you're not that far away from a good result. Working in 3DL for the first time coming from iray is a piece of work for most people as it has more things you need to do yourself instead of the rendrer doing it automatically. Once you can grab the concept it opens new possibilities as well.

Kind of you to say.  Am not used to working on something that has fundemental flaw in composition (would just toss it) but will try to finish

Version 3 Change Log:

Add simple backdrop that has horizontal lines, depth/context (apt windows)
    Make simple plane behind the windows & add texture to it
    Add prop to simple plane so fake “room” doesn’t look empty.  (painting also an easter egg)
    Add fire prop to fake “room” & adjust light
    Add hedgerow so child doesn’t look quite so “placed”
    Remove helmet - was causing problems with caustics on goggles

sueya said:

Looks good! yes  Am rooting for you.  : )

edited March 2018

@Night678winG - 8o Well done, man, well done. Looking good and a great idea.

@Tynkere - I think your image is much improved. I don't envy you. I never went very far with 3DL and couldn't get into Iray fast enough when it was released, but I think you're doing some good work there. Not sure I see the fundamental flaw you speak of. Anyway, keep it up.

Post edited by Wanderer on
    edited March 2018

@KnittingMommy, @Linwelly, and @MattyManx, thanks for the technical suggestions for DForce and post-DForce simulations.  I will be taking advantage of your ideas even if it does not look like I paid attention in this next update. After participating in Arki's DForce webinar, I went back and made a few improvments to the mesh of the dress.  In particular, I created a separate material zone for the trim underneath the collar, which I used to hold the collar more firmly in place but still allowed the central ring of the collar to remain flexible.  I also applied a sitting pose preset.  This is NOT the final pose, it is just a test to see how the dress behaves trying to get to a sitting position. Overall, it did OK, but there is some poke through on one breast and near the knees.  I think following the suggestions offered by the aforementioned mentors and giving the simulaiton more time between poses will take care of the poke through.  I'm calling this a nice step along the way.  I can now have an ancient Egyptian drummer in a seated postion to go with the modern guitar player and two other ancient Egyptian musicians.  Expecting a snow day tomorrow so should have some time for a better update of the actual pose within the actual scene.

@MollyTabby - that looks like a good pose to work on.  The bends should present a nice challenge.  Looking forward to your progress.

@Sueya - Nice progress.  I don't have any better suggestions than Daybird and KnittingMommy offered.  

@Night678winG - very impressive set of poses.  I like the expressions also.

@Tynkere - Looking great.  You are at a stage where you are perfecting the background elements. I am jealous. I still have 3 figures to pose.

tt0000 test render loaded b draped dforce see bottom hem hhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    2400 x 3106 - 2M
    tt0000 test render loaded b draped dforce see bottom hem cgggggggggggggggg.jpg
    2400 x 3106 - 2M
    edited March 2018

RE: using DForce with a pose in a complex scene, such as having muliple band members - the wonderful @L'Adair outlines the specific steps to create a morph for a cloth figure using DForce.  Why might you want to do this?  I will let L'Adair explain.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3394251/#Comment_3394251

Turning Your Perfect Simulation Into A Morph

One of the things that has eluded me with dForce is the ability to create a morph from my simulation.

Why would I want to? I tend to have more than one item in a scene using dForce. And more than once I've cleared all the simulations hitting the Clear button, when I only wanted to redo a single item. As I rarely use a pose without making changes to it, I don't want or need to save the morph as an asset. But if I can transfer a simulation to a morph, (and save that morph with the scene,) I never have to worry about losing it later on.

Anyway, Richard Haseltine responded to my request for a step-by-step, and I finally got it to work. I thought I'd expand on it here, so...

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Getting closer thanks to your advice. The hands still need some work so I would appreciate any advice you have on getting them right.

@sueya I'll play with the hands a bit when I get home tonight and let you know if I have any tips. I was focused on the hips so I didn't take a look at the hands yet.

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

Thanks...I forgot the why.

"Zebra jumping"

ZebravsRhino.jpg
    1094 x 893 - 744K
    horse jumping.jpg
    255 x 198 - 8K
    edited March 2018

Apologies for taking so long. I set up the base figure and then got sidetracked with other things. Yesterday afternoon I sat down and watched the videos. Wow, I didn't know it was possible to do so much! I love the pins and the puppeteer function. Anyway, once I got started I was totally engrossed and I'm definately going to try do more of my own poses (as opposed to working with a preset and then adjusting and tweeking for hours).

Here is my attempt.

18 03 25 MARCH DAZ POSING CHALLENGE 1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 277K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on

That looks very good, you are near at the original photo.

I think you should adjust here hip and abdomen a little, to the right side (from viewer position the left) and change the camera position, so that you can see her navel.

Then a little adjustment on her left arm ( look at her hand position in the photo) and you have it.

That sounds a little nosewise from me, but you did a great job so far.

Mollytabby

That looks very good, you are near at the original photo.

I think you should adjust here hip and abdomen a little, to the right side (from viewer position the left) and change the camera position, so that you can see her navel.

Then a little adjustment on her left arm ( look at her hand position in the photo) and you have it.

That sounds a little nosewise from me, but you did a great job so far.