Lock And Link Icons

Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have been looking through the Wiki Documentation but have not yet been able to find explanations of the Lock and Link icons which can sometimes be activated for object Parameters.

I am guessing that the Lock icon just prevents that Parameter from being changed (somewhat like the Pin in the GUI but this works on Parameter basis). Is this correct?

I have no idea what the Link icon is used for. Is it used for linking to Parameters together (e.g. when X increases, Y also increases)? That would be my initial guess but I still wouldn't know how to use it.

Can someone please explain or point me to the corresponding documentation? I tried looking under the Animate section of the Wiki Documentation but did not find anything relevant to this topic.

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

The link icons mean that those parameters are linked together. Move one dial and they all move. This is generally for things like symmetry dials, ie breasts move forward, breasts move forward left, and breasts move forward right. You can do left/right independently, but if you use themain breasts move forward then the other 2 move with it because they're linked.

The lock is just that. You can't accidentally mess up the slider.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Got it...so if I want to link say three parameters together then I click the link on each and they will be lined together. If I want to link other parameters together (i.e. different ones from the ones I just linked), I must first remove the links on the existing ones and then link the newly desired parameters. Thus there can only be one set of linked parameters in effect at once, correct? For example, I can not link the right arm rotation to the left arm rotation while also linking the left leg rotation to the right leg rotation (but independent of the arm rotation), correct? I would need to link the arms, rotate them to the desired position, unlink them, link the legs and rotate them. Correct?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

I don't think it's that easy to link them as you'd have to modify info. If you click on a main dial's coghweel (say arms up-down under parameters > pose controls) you'll see up-down left and up-down right associated with it in the sub-components section, and that part is over my head.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Understood. I was more referring to the fact that the is only one Link in effect at any time. It could have many parameters linked to it but when one parameter is changed, all other parameters with the link tuned on change. If you want to link different parameters, you first must remove the current links and then set the new ones.