Quick Multiple Add

Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am working on a village in which had many huts. I have created a single hut with its textures set.

However, there does not seem to be a Copy | Paste option for quickly multiplying an object. You can select Copy on an object but I have not been able to find a way to Paste it in as a copy.

As a result, as far as I can tell, I need to drag and drop (or double click) on my hut object in the Content Library multiple times to insert each copy of the hut. Now, I don't have the slowest computer on the market but my computer is also not a speed demon and thus the addition of each object does take a moment to load. So the process becomes load, wait a little while, load next, wait a little while, and so on.

I would much rather have the ability to say, load 20 copies and then select them in the Scene tab to position them.

Is there such capabilities in Daz (short of writing a script to this this...I have not started learning about scripting yet since I am a beginner and I want to first get the basics down before I start tinkering with scripts)?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DS4.5+ has Geometry Shells and Instances

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Create Instances and use them. It's in the Create menu with the option of how many you wish to make and even random placement I believe.
    You can move Rotate each as you like. It also saves Ram at render time.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I will try that out right away. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I have been playing with Daz for a couple weeks not but never stumbled across that option...there are so many options in Daz...which means it if powerful but also means it has a learning curve to get up to speed.

In any case, thanks for the information.

• Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Works like a charm.

I noticed however that the new instances are added as instances (as opposed to regular objects). I am guessing that this is because they do share some properties (like shape and maybe texture). Is that correct? I tried manipulating one of the instances by changing its rotation and this was unique to the instance as is, obviously, the X-Y-Z position since they appeared at different locations.

In any case, as long as I can change X-Y-Z position and the rotation (which is unique to each instance) then it suits my purpose, so thanks, once again, for the quick response.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Yes, instances share shape, texture, and pose (for figures, that is) with the "original." As you have found, you can change the position and rotation, though.