Confused on ZIP extraction & which goes where

edited June 2013 in New Users

I know that they are phasing out the old downloaders, so I'm guessing going by a product I tried to install (Victoria Street Front) that means there are no more exe files. If I'm PC I still want the DIM not the other zip right?

It's my understanding from another post you need to extract what is inside the content file to put into runtimes for Poser.

I understand this, but was only loading them into my Poser runtimes (was loading all to Poser then would do DS) but it occured to me I have no idea where to install in DS. I don't want to use the installer (because the whole thing about not using it if you already have content). I would assume that I would extract the files to My Library, but the file structure is different now because it only has the runtime folder inside there. Do I still extract just what is in content? Or leave that top folder?

More than that I realized now that before I did this this way, running the exes into Poser runtime folders and My Library if they were DS only, but now if I do this I am doubling all the files.

Ok so this is what I'm trying to figure out. If I took all the files that I installed DS versions, and reextracted the zips into my runtime (obviously all the poser versions of the files would be overwritten) can I then point DS to that folder that holds the runtimes as opposed to My Library? Does that make sense? I'd basically start over installing in a new folder, but the ones that were Poser only I could just copy the runtimes.

ETA: it should be extract them into the folder above runtime maybe? I didn't realize some of the folders under content also had "people" etc. So basically everything under content into say V4 for example then that folder would contain runtimes to point to in poser but also could point to the V4 folder in DS as opposed to My Library (ie not the Poser version)

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,413
    edited December 1969

The DIM bit about having to use a new location is not mandatory - it just allows you to install everything (assuming your bandwidth allows you to download everything) and have update notifications work. If you do want to manually install then as with Poser content you put everything in the zip's Content folder in the content directory you want to use - My Library or whatever. You certainly don't need to have things installed twice, however, and can simply point Poser to your My Library folder or DS to your Poser # Content folder as you wish (or point each to the other and split your content between them, if that makes more sense to you).

• edited June 2013

Thanks. I already have much more installed for Poser so it's much easier to reinstall the DAZ files into the runtimes.

Also I have no clue why but it looks like my last post didn't go through but you may know the answer - do the DIM files only include the DS versions? Because I tried installing Smay's zombie and the addon, and none of the pose files were included in the zips. I had to go back and install the exes in the end anyway. I hope that the exes are still going to be available until the fix the bugs in the DIM installers!

Also since bundles don't have DIM downloads some of the files specific to bundles can't be loaded via DIM either.

Thanks

ETA: the problem with the zombie pack looks to be with the actual item because the installer didn't put it in the right place either so I have to figure that out when I get back. The bundle issue though is still a problem

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The individual items inside a bundle are available in DIM -- there isn't a separate DIM item for the entire bundle.

The Add-On for Zombie is only for the Genesis version.

• edited December 1969

Right but often bundles include items you cannot purchase separately, which for now is fine I can install exe but if they get rid off all the regular installers, since its not in the individual product DIMs how will I get it?

Also I assume you mean the addon pack is DS only, I realized that, but the base pack instructions / file list says they should be there (when I said poses I meant the files that go to the pose menu you apply it with in Poser, not actual poses)

edited December 1969

Right but often bundles include items you cannot purchase separately, which for now is fine I can install exe but if they get rid off all the regular installers, since its not in the individual product DIMs how will I get it?

Even if they aren't available separately they should show up in your Product Library -- at the bottom of each bundle page are thumbnails that link to each individual component. For example, the Genesis genitalia are not available separately, but if you buy one of the bundles containing them they show up as a separate product page in the Product Library and a separate item in DIM.

Also I assume you mean the addon pack is DS only, I realized that, but the base pack instructions / file list says they should be there (when I said poses I meant the files that go to the pose menu you apply it with in Poser, not actual poses)

Ah, my mistake. Did you install the Zombie with an installer, DIM , or manually extracting from the DIM zip?

• edited December 1969

I do see that with V5 pro, though I'm not sure how it works with something like when extra breeds for horses were included; I don't think it was a separate installer. I'd have to extract and compare.

As for the zombie I first extracted the DIM and when it didn't work I used the installer but the poser files to load them still aren't there (the actual texture images are)

edited December 1969

If you look inside the zip, are the files there under Content:Runtime:Libraries:Pose, or are they missing?