Problems with M4 morphs install...

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi all,

I've tried to search for the answer to this question, but I don't think I've exactly found it yet. I'll try to be as specific as possible. Basically, here's what's happening:

So here's exactly what I bought and what is now in the Product library:
M4 Hand Poses
Michael 4 Base
Michael 4 Morphs++
Michael 4 Starter Bundle
Jai Hair
Michael 4 Skin Maps (Std Res)
Stylin For M4
Michael 4 Presets

I installed Michael 4 Base into a new runtime folder called "Michael." It all worked. Yay.
Then, I went on to the DIM files:
Michael 4 Morphs++
Download Direct Download 4.56 MB
Michael 4 Genitalia
Download Direct Download 72.63 KB
Michael 4 Morphs++ PowerLoader
Download Direct Download 45.26 KB
Michael 4 Morphs++ Genitalia PowerLoader

Those seemed to install okay. Maybe part of the problem is that I wasn't sure where to install these. Should they go into that outside Runtime folder (Michael) or the Poser 9 folder itself? Anyway, I tried both ways.

Then the fun began...
Everything started to go wrong when I tried to install 7878_1_dpc_M4Morphs.exe. I have screenshots of the results of each step... it seems like there's a way to post a file directly, but I can't find what it is. If anyone needs to see them, I'll attach them. Here's EXACTLY what happened:

When I tried to install this file in the outside Michael folder (where the base figure actually is), the error message said: "When used with Poser TM, Michael ++ Morphs must be installed to the same directory as the application executable, due to restrictions on file support locations. Please select the directory that contains the Poser executable."

Okay... let's try again.

When I tried to install the file in the Poser 9 program folder, here was the error message:

"The required file has NOT been found. Installation of Michael 4 ++ Morphs will now quit. Please contact [email protected] for more help."

The thing is Poser 9 DOES have the poser.exe file, so I wouldn't think that would be the issue... anyway, I'm lost. And on top of it all, it's my birthday!! All help appreciated.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The "must be installed to the Poser internal runtime" is a leftover from a problem that was fixed back in P7sr3. However, the morph packs MUST be installed to the same runtime as Michael 4 Base. To get around this, either (a) create a dummy file named poser.exe and put it in the folder containing the Runtime folder where Michael 4 Base is installed, or (b) select DAZ Studio instead of Poser as the target application -- the same files get installed, the only difference is that the program doesn't check for poser.exe.

You don't need to install both the DIM files and the exe's -- choose one or the other.

• edited December 1969

I don't think my last reply went through... anyway, it worked! Yay! :)

So here's the other question: let's take a file like 7878_1_dpc_M4Morphs.zip. Because it's an app folder and not a runtime, Is this also unzipped into the Michael folder, or the Poser 9 app folder, or some other weird place I haven't even thought of?

edited December 1969

I don't think my last reply went through... anyway, it worked! Yay! :)

So here's the other question: let's take a file like 7878_1_dpc_M4Morphs.zip. Because it's an app folder and not a runtime, Is this also unzipped into the Michael folder, or the Poser 9 app folder, or some other weird place I haven't even thought of?

No, those are Mac installers (.app is the Mac equivalent of .exe).

• edited December 1969

It makes sense@! Little by little, I do get there. :) Do I need to uninstall those, or is it okay to just leave them?

• TeloxiTeloxi Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Hey guys, sorry to wake this dusty thread up but a while ago I asked the very same question - why is the exe files not letting me install content for M4/V4 saying something about directories, blah blah... Same message. No one ever answered my question *sighs* I've googled this issue and only came up with 2 topics...and funny...neither were mine.. But yeah, I need some help! It happens now with every single character updating or adding exe. It even did it with Poser 8, PP2012 and now PP2014...

Firstly, I've gone through every single possible post here on both threads I've found and followed the advice to no avail. Big fail! I even tried a few other ways. Nothing has worked.

I use PP 2014 SR1, and my runtime is external so to keep my poor laptop happy (100+gigs of poser content!).

Methods used:

Recreate Daz Character folder destination in external hdd runtime (I've completely costumized my runtime) - FAIL
    -Attempted install choosing Daz Studio instead of Poser (ALL) to install - FAIL

Recreated Runtime basic destination folders with a copy of V4 and M4 cr2 files on desktop - FAIL
    -added fake PoserPro.exe - FAIL

Went to C:\Program Files\SmithMicro and added the necessary folders and cr2 files - FAIL

I've received 2 different errors. 1, the directory error and 2, unable to find what it's looking for and will close when I hit Next/OK.

So far all files I've tried not wanting at all to cooperate are:

Hiro 4
    International Beauties M4 and V4
    M4 Muscle morphs (I can't recall the exact file name)
    M4 Creature Creature
    V4 Creature Creature

Attached is a screencap of what I'm seeing... Ugh... Help!! *cries*

m4_bs.jpg
    765 x 453 - 125K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The file must be installed to the runtime where your original M4 installation is. If you are manually installing the extra morph packs you should then rerun the bat file, to initialise them DzCreateExPFilesM4 which you should be able to find in the runtime where your M4 was installed. Double click on it to run it.

I have my Poser runtimes on an external. In fact I originally had M4 installed into an earlier version of poser, and I had backed up that runtime which I then added as a runtime in my newer version.

When I added an extra morph pack it didn't seem to take straight away, so I closed Poser and rebooted the computer. Also you need to have the base M4 morphs injected into the figure before the other morph packs will work.

edited December 1969

That installer is pretty old -- the Poser issue with installing to the internal runtime was fixed in Poser 7 sr3. Pick DAZ Studio as the target program -- it will install the same files but not insist on finding poser.exe.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

That installer is pretty old -- the Poser issue with installing to the internal runtime was fixed in Poser 7 sr3. Pick DAZ Studio as the target program -- it will install the same files but not insist on finding poser.exe.

Or better yet, install using DIM, reinitializing the figure afterward as Chohole notes.

If it's something you got on a magazine CD, contact support and have them add it to your account.....

edited December 1969

WandW said:

Or better yet, install using DIM, reinitializing the figure afterward as Chohole notes.

If it's something you got on a magazine CD, contact support and have them add it to your account.....

If you use DIM you don't need to initialize.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

If you use DIM you don't need to initialize.

I've always had to initialize using DIM...