Saving Props

Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have gone through the Genesis Clothing tutorial to make some Genesis clothing. This worked great. After using the Transfer Utility I was able to save the results using "Save Wearables" option. This placed it in the Unassigned category from which I was able to move it to the desired category.

However, which option should I use for saving Props. I have imported some objects from Hexagon or Anim8or. Typically with stuff coming from Anim8or, I need to reload the texture files because the don't seem to get picked up properly by Daz, I would then like to save the resulting object as a prop so that I can, in the future, use it with its mappings already set. However there does not seem to be a "Save Prop" option.

ideally I would like to save the object along with its texture mappings and texture file selection.

Can someone please clue me in as to what option I should be using to save Props?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Use File>Save As>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Assets.

Be sure the Textures are Applied before you Save.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

FFS!!! no wonder I seem to spend as much time in DUF/DSF files as I did with Poser format files, who ever wrote that you save your Genesis clothing with the wearables preset needs slapped, !!HARD!!.

When it comes to saving clothing for a Tri-Ax rigged figure (Genesis), you need to use "Save as > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset", that way you get the proper coding written into the files, and you also don't end up with the DSF asset files in the large melting pot called the auto_adapted folder, where it's at risk of being over written.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Bejaymac said:
    FFS!!! no wonder I seem to spend as much time in DUF/DSF files as I did with Poser format files, who ever wrote that you save your Genesis clothing with the wearables preset needs slapped, !!HARD!!.

When it comes to saving clothing for a Tri-Ax rigged figure (Genesis), you need to use "Save as > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset", that way you get the proper coding written into the files, and you also don't end up with the DSF asset files in the large melting pot called the auto_adapted folder, where it's at risk of being over written.

So that's what that folder is. I have a growing list of stuff in there, that seems to match the stuff I've ran through auto-fit using Sickle's rigging assets. Do you know if it's actually necessary to keep all of those, or can the folder be trashed?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Umm... I Always used Figure/Props Assets. They are assets after all.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

You can trash it if you want, just don't be too surprised if some of your scenes don't load properly.

Auto_adapted works just like the "data/3_0" or the DS4.0 version, it's where asset files are written to for content that isn't in the native DSON format, so any Poser content in your scene will have DSF asset files in there for the mesh, morphs and UV data, which is pretty much the same system we had with DS4.0 and earlier, except they used DSO, DSD & DSV script files and were in a different code language.

It's also where DS stores anything you convert to Tri-Ax before you save it out properly, as it appears DS can't use WM items from RAM, it needs a solid asset file to work with. So the second you convert something with Transfer Utility or Auto fit there is an asset file created in the auto_adapted folder for it, I get the feeling these files were meant to be temporary, but they are still there even after saving it with "Figure/Prop asset".

• Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Slapped *HARD*?! Ouch! Take pitty, I'm just a beginner and I am finding it hard to get information on all the Daz stuff. The documentation seems to be fragmented and in a lot of cases incomplete. I previously used "Save As Wearable" because it seemed like the most logical choice from the various Save As choices.

Can someone briefly explain why *not* to use "Save As Wearable" for Genesis clothing? I have made some simple Genesis clothing using one of the tutorials I found on YouTube and saved them using "Save As Wearable" and so far I did not have any problems...however I am gladly willing to change my ways in the light of more advanced user wisdom :D

BTW, thanks to those that posted on what Save As to use for props. This will be very handy.

edited December 1969

No! No slapping the New Person, more slapping each other for not knowing better, I think. Once You use the Transfer tool the item is Weight Mapped to the Default Genesis (always use a default Genesis unless the item is for a Morphed figure like V5) And as stated before the Save as Figure/Prop Asset by passes the need for the Legacy .dsf file (I think they are still created). Thus less to break on load. Also Wearable was added (I belive) For those who wish to create Files for DS4.0. I'm not sure if That is true but I see no need to use it myself.

• Lord_AshesLord_Ashes Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation. I do always use the Genesis figure when using the Transfer Utility but I didn't know about the proper way to save the results...now I do. Thanks.