Character actors - who are your favorites and what do they look like?

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited June 2018

Some of my favorites (caricature sketches I made) are Dame Edna May Oliver.

Jack Elam

Vincent Schiavelli

Theda Bara

EdnaMayOliver.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 84K
    JackElam.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 91K
    VincentSchiavelli.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 66K
    ThedaBara.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 67K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Excellent!

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited June 2018

Classic would have to be Vincent Price.......  Modern times would be Johnny Depp 

Annex - Price, Vincent_10.jpg
    1628 x 2083 - 300K
    Johnny Depp.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 366K
    Post edited by AJ2112 on
    edited June 2018

A few British names to remember ...

Ian Carmichael and Dennis Price

Megs Jenkins

Margaret Rutherford

Sam Kydd

Michael Hordern

Dennis-Price.jpg
    590 x 350 - 43K
    Megs.jpg
    454 x 711 - 39K
    Margaret_Rutherford.gif
    169 x 195 - 14K
    Sam_Kydd.jpg
    260 x 387 - 26K
    Michael Hordern.jpg
    160 x 226 - 7K
    Post edited by marble on
    edited June 2018

Sorry - the names keep popping into my head. Can't leave out Eli Wallach, now can we?

eli.jpg
    214 x 317 - 16K
    Post edited by marble on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited June 2018

Beautiful sketches, @ChrisPalomino.  Great choices.  I think my favorite Edna May Oliver scene is when she fights the French revolutionary in Tale of Two Cities.  Jack Elam was wonderful in the Support Your Local... comedies with James Garner.  Seems to me that Vincent Schiavelli was in every TV show I watched as a kid, usually as a bad guy.  Although I have made an effort to see quite a few silent movies, I'm afraid I can't really comment on Theda Bera, other than she did seem to inspire a generation's "look," along with Louise Brooks.

Eli Wallach is perfect.  We are in the same business!  Only as competitors, friend.

Definitely invite people to post more non-American actors.  Love the additions.  For some reason, I most associate Michael Hordern with A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Fourm, instead of his many other roles.  Maybe just because I laugh so much at "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid."  Of course, Margaret Rtherford had a whole series of leading roles, but it is fair to say she was a character actor.

Thinking along the British supporting actors, how about John Williams?  Dial M for Murder.

john williams character actor.jpg
    214 x 317 - 14K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Some of my favorites (caricature sketches I made) are Dame Edna May Oliver.

Jack Elam

Vincent Schiavelli

Theda Bara

These are beautiful!

edited June 2018

Here's some of my favorites:

Gary Oldman

Billy Barty

Deep Roy

John Lithgow

Dustin Hoffman

x Gary Oldman.jpg
    408 x 298 - 32K
    x Billy Barty.jpg
    1182 x 396 - 130K
    x Deep Roy.jpg
    614 x 306 - 58K
    x John Lithgow.jpg
    324 x 489 - 31K
    x Dustin Hoffman.jpg
    661 x 477 - 71K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited June 2018

And a few more:

Charles Laughton

Tim Roth

Tim Curry

x Charles Laughton.jpg
    325 x 400 - 19K
    x Tim Roth.jpg
    320 x 426 - 19K
    x Tim Curry.jpg
    320 x 608 - 43K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Thank you, Diomede and dracorn. Character actors are often much more fun to sketch, too. And there are so many good ones.

edited June 2018
    dracorn said:

Tim Curry

I just can't see anyone else as Frank n Furter ...

tim-curry-as-frank-n-furter.jpg
    495 x 279 - 46K
    Post edited by marble on

Thank you, Diomede and dracorn. Character actors are often much more fun to sketch, too. And there are so many good ones.

more fun to render, too!   Thanks for adding to the gene pool.

edited June 2018

Sorry I missed a few more comments.  Can't go back and acknowledge them all, but want to share a few thoughts.

There are character actors because they were simply not born with leading man or lady looks (Ernest Borgnine, Margaret Hamilton), and there are character actors because these actors sought to be different.  I don't mean that as a smear on Rock Hudson or Elizabeth Taylor, who were rarely anything but beautiful - and bless them when they were offered an opportunity to branch out.   But I do want to comment on the additions of Johny Depp by @AJ2112 and Tim Curry by @Dracorn.  These are just two of many actors and actresses in the thread that did have leading roles, and yet are known for achieving a different look on a regular basis.  Lon Chaney would be proud.

Another actor in that tradition was Paul Muni.

paul muni.JPG
    1891 x 786 - 306K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited June 2018

For Tim Curry, let us not forget:

Oh and I was recetly reminded of the late Roger Lloyd Pack:

gettyimages-8018860920-h_2017.jpg
    928 x 523 - 66K
    MAIN-Roger-Lloyd-Pack-dead.jpg
    615 x 409 - 49K
    cyberman.jpg
    460 x 300 - 37K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited June 2018

Doug Jones probably should be mentioned here.  He's Guillermo Del Toro's 'go to' actor for creatures, and has worked for other directors as well.  I liked him a lot as Abe Sapien.  Recently, he played the creature in 'The Sape of Water, and has several more acting credits since the release of that movie.  I didn't know that he was the Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie, but then that's what he does.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/why-doug-jones-is-the-most-underrated-actor-that-youve-never?utm_term=.rnWkNY0rg#.kp05ZX9pD

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 383

I'd love to see the actors from The Carol Burnett Show made into Daz characters - Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner, all of them. Imagine Tim Conway, Siamese elephant and all, in a render?

And yes, that is Dick Van Dyke utterly unable to contain himself on the floor at the end.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,585

OMFG..."the elephant story"!  Years ago that bit had me screaming with insane laughter as though I were the Joker!  The congested "trumpet" sound Conway made was what made me finally lose what little composure I had previously maintained.  Obviously, this was not the version that made it to air.

Sincerely,

Bill

Mabel 8 makes me very happy.

I am hoping this character can be adapted for similar roles as Billie Hayes (HR PuffnStuff and Li'L Abner) and Irene Ryan (Beverly Hillbillies)

imagesJX4AK90J.jpg
    173 x 291 - 5K
    images3V8STHNP.jpg
    199 x 253 - 9K
    imagesAKI7J75B.jpg
    234 x 216 - 9K
    granny 1.png
    197 x 203 - 49K
    granny 2.png
    259 x 194 - 52K
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

Gary Oldman IS my absolute favorite actor. He doesn't always make the greatest choices in roles, but when he does....he's a powerhouse and outshines the rest of the cast. Great actor :)

Laurie

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

I'd love to see the actors from The Carol Burnett Show made into Daz characters - Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner, all of them. Imagine Tim Conway, Siamese elephant and all, in a render?

And yes, that is Dick Van Dyke utterly unable to contain himself on the floor at the end.

SNORK!! ;)

Laurie

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,776

Mention of Doug Jones caused me to think of Andy Serkis, who gave us the incarnation of Gollum:Image result for anthony serkis

Caesar

Image result for anthony serkis

and recently went sans CG in Black Panther

Related image

There's also Marty Feldman

Image result for marty feldman

of whom our Mec4d (whom I greatly miss) fashioned a Genesis version

• Well, on the subject of character-actors who keep showing up again and again.... interestingly, the guy who made the manga and anime character Astroboy had some recurring "actors" that kept showing up again and again in his various productions as different but similar-purposed characters.  I.e. the same "actor" would show up as various heavies, each one a different character with a different back-story, but "played" by the same "guy" in all of them.

edited July 2018

The entire Carroll Burnett ensemble cast is a great add.  TCM just showed Gone With the Wind and all I could think of was Carroll Burnett wearing the curtains with the rod still there.

Andy Serkis is making a great career out of being the mocap guy for digital actors.  He should get some sort of Daz forum award for actor-of-the-future. Didn’t he also do King Kong p, or am I confusing with Planet of the Apes?

Had no idea about the anime regulars, but I know Disney used to recycle drawn scenes as references because the admin guys said it would save time and money, even though some of the artists said it took just as much time to find and adapt old scenes from the “morgue” as it took to just do new pieces.

i don’t know if we mentioned James Gleason. He was one of my favorite supporting actors in the 30s Capra-esque era,

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322299/

james gleason 1.JPG
    341 x 396 - 32K
    edited September 2018

Hans Conried!

They showed The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T on the late show recently.  Made me remember this wonderful character actor.

hans conried.JPG
    1244 x 925 - 209K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2018

I can't believe no one has suggested Fred Gwynne yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qGwmXZtsE

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited September 2018

Fred Gwynne is a great choice.  We need some Fred Gwynne morphs!

I can't believe I have left off Alfre Woodard.  She will always be most associated in my mind for her role in the TV series St. Elsewhere, but others might remember her from Star Trek: First Contact.  Her credits include multiple Emmy awards.  One of the all time greats.

alfre woodard.JPG
    1273 x 735 - 181K
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    Diomede said:

Hans Canried!

They showed The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T on the late show recently.  Made me remember this wonderful character actor.

What?  No picture of Snidely Whiplash?  I'm shocked.

edited September 2018

Snidely Whiplash.  I'll give you some Snidely Whiplash.  Bwahahahaha.  yes heart

hans conried as snidely whiplash.jpg
    675 x 600 - 67K
    edited August 2019

Mildred Natwick

- tell any story better by including character actress Mildred Natwick.

- "The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!"

- Thank you, Daz3D, and PAs for what seems to me to be inclusion of more character actors for the Genesis 8 series than some previous series.  (Ollie, Mrs. Chow, etc)

Some Pics

A classic Mildred Natwick scene.  Click to play.

mildred natwick.JPG
    811 x 686 - 98K
    edited March 2021

Glenda Farrell and Barton MacLane

Two character actors who got leading roles in the reporter Torchy movies.  Glenda plays plucky and determined reporter Torchy and Barton plays her boyfriend, a police detective.  They were both frequent character actors in other films.  Maclane was one of the police detectives in Maltese Falcon, and Farrell was the plucky reporter roommate of Fay Wray in the original House of Wax.

Two great actors proving that not everything need be glamorous.

torchy.jpg
    1230 x 732 - 263K