Are figures upward compatiable?

bcmyjunkbcmyjunk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

If I have a figure "A" v4 and daz store has "A" v5, is there a free update to apply?

If figure B v4 prerequisite A v4 , but I bought A v5 will figure B v4 work?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Generation 4 figures and generation 5 figures are completely different meshes.

Generation 4 figures are standalone figures.

Generation 5 require Genesis to work, as they are character forms for Genesis.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Each generation's figures are independent, there's no free upgrade, and if there's a character available for both V4 and Genesis, having the prerequisites for one won't make it work on the other.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

bcmyjunk said:
    If I have a figure "A" v4 and daz store has "A" v5, is there a free update to apply?

As stated above, they're all different meshes. Victoria 5 (V5) is Genesis figure and as such uses the Genesis mesh while Vicky's predecessors (V1 through to V4) are each their own mesh, with their own wardrobes poses and props.

Thankfully, there is some forwards compatibility. All of the older figures and props will work fine in the current versions of Poser and Daz Studio, and most of the Victoria 4 wardrobe will work nicely with Victoria 5 thanks to Genesis' autofit. Textures for older V4 characters also work on Genesis out of the box.

Victoria 5 for Genesis requires either Daz Studio or the DSON importer for Poser (Poser 9 / 2012 and up) and provides a unique UV set which will allow you to use V5 textures, as well as the necessary morphs and materials.

• bcmyjunkbcmyjunk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for the great answers

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

bcmyjunk said:

I think the others have explained the difference between V4 and V5.

There is a plugin tool call Genesis Generation X, usually just GenX for short. (http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x). It will allow you to move V4 character to Genesis. You do not need V5 to use GenX. You do need to have V4.2 with the V4.2 moprh++ package and the V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis(http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis). You use GenX to create a Genesis character that is the same shape as the V4 character. V4 UVs will work fine on Genesis, so the V4 based skin texture can be applied too. Most (but not all) V4 clothes should fit through autofit.

A V4 character will not "work" on V5. You can apply the skin texture, because V5 is a Genesis figure and V4 UVs work on Genesis. The body shaping morphs or injections will not work on V5.

As I explained above, you need the GenX plugin to move V4 morph injections to Genesis, and you don't really need V5 to do that, only the V4 shape for Genesis.