How do I get the Proper Scale for my Figure

jHuntleyjHuntley Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi guys I am wanting to Model a couple Pilots in sitting Postition to 3D print. But I cant tell how big the models in the program are. I need to do a model at 1/3 scale and one at 1/4 scale which is scaled from a 6 ft tall person so my 3rd scale needs to come to 24" tall and my 1/4 scale 18 Inches tall.

so how do you tell how tall your model is?

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2013

What software are you using? In DAZ Studio, the units represent 1 cm, and default Genesis is (as I recall) about 5 feet, 10 inches tall. You can use the scaling dial on the Parameters tab to dial in a percentage.

If you wish to measure exactly how tall the figure is, there are several methods...one easy one is to create a plane primitive (Create menu>New Primitive>plane) and then adjust it's y-translation (this setting can be found on the Parameters pane also) until it reaches the top of the figure's head. The y-translation value will be the height.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2013

Oh, just noticed the thing about 3D printing...be aware that the standard DAZ license does not allow 3D printing... For more information on this, please see the End User LIcense Agreement

If you wish to purchase a printing license, you should contact DAZ customer support to inquire whether that is possible at the present time.

If you model your own figure from scratch, and don't use the Genesis figure or any other DAZ product, then I believe you'd be allowed to 3D print it, even if DAZ Studio was involved at some point in the process...but I'm not 100% sure on that point...

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • jHuntleyjHuntley Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

ok thanks yes its daz I just was going to use daz for the basic size and positioning then go inbto zbrush and do all my sculpting and adding clothes etc but I will be sure to check on the printing its just for myself but will make sure of what they say

thanks

edited December 1969

I just created a cube 72" tall and from the side view the Genisis I opened up is exactly 72 inches however from the front it looks a little shorter maybe its some perspective?

So I also assume to get the proper scale I just make a cube say 24" for 3rd scale and resize to match that

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

donkeyshine thank you very much will help a lot.

edited December 1969

Ok now I just need to find a way to p[ut a background in of my plane cockpit so I can pose him properly hehe

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969
    edited June 2013

thanks but I just deal in straight scales so whatever scale my aircraft is I just divide 6 ft by thescale ie 72" / 4 for 1/4 scale

Post edited by jHuntley on
  • SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

So based on the scale chart for a base Genesis figure you'd need to set the scale to 102.24% to get a 6'0" figure. Then a 1/4 scale version of that should be 102.24/4 or 30.06% on the scale slider.

I just tried it out and it works, though I did clothe and pose him before I scaled him down. Going down that far makes it really tiny :)

edited December 1969

lol i just make a cube 18 inches tall and scale him down to it less steps and ton easier hehehe