New to DAZ A couple of questions.

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello, I'm new to DAZ and I have a couple of newbie questions.

I will be using it to create base models to draw from.

Is DAZ really free or is there a cost ? or are there limitations like being unable to save.
What version do you recommend that I start with ?
Is there content available like models ? is there a cost for these ? or are there any free ones ?
Are there any people who could create a model for me based on a photo ? I understand there is probably a fee for their time

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Hello, I'm new to DAZ and I have a couple of newbie questions.

I will be using it to create base models to draw from.

Is DAZ really free or is there a cost ? or are there limitations like being unable to save.
    Is there content available like models ? is there a cost for these ? or are there any free ones ?
    Are there any people who could create a model for me based on a photo ? I understand there is probably a fee for their time

Thanks everyone

The short answer is that it's really free and there are no limitations... There is lots of content available from here (usually for a cost, although some things are free for Platinum Club members or with purchase). The free software itself comes with some content, including the Genesis figure and a few hairstyles, outfits, and sets/environments. You can also get content from other stores, or for free from sites like ShareCG.com.
  • jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited June 2013

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of DAZ. :)

1) Yes, DAZ Studio is free and fully functional.

2) The latest release is 4.6 - I am unsure of any earlier versions are even available.

3) The Genesis Starter Essentials are free, and have the Genesis figure along with several other items such as environments and clothes. But there are many, many more pay items available. There are also some very good free items available, like at sharecg.com.

4) Genesis - with the right morphs - can be shaped to look like just about anybody. With enough time and patience, you could create the model yourself from the photo.

Best of luck with your rendering! :)

Edit - ninja'd!

Post edited by jerriecan on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited June 2013

It is entirely free, and is the full version with no restrictions.

The current version, DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18

The base Genesis model is free, and comes as a seperate download with the program, and it can be a man, woamn or child (among other things) There are many models for sale in the store here, and other vendors, but there are alos many free items on ShareCG.

I am sure there are people out there who would do it, but the cost would be very high I would think.

EDIT:

Plenty of answers there, it must be quiet today :)

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2013

The longer answer is that DAZ Studio 4.6 includes all the basic features and even the Pro features that used to be available only at a fairly high price. That version also used to contain a plug-in called Decimator...personally I haven't had the need for Decimator and I think the average user probably wouldn't need it either, but if you do, it's available for purchase. So whether that's a limitation or not depends on your perspective...personally I don't really see it as one. (edited for clarity)

The reason why DAZ 3D offers the software for free is that they want to sell you content for it. But you can use the software without purchasing additional content. And you can also use content acquired elsewhere without buying anything from DAZ, or even make your own content for use in DAZ Studio (though you'll need different software to do that...DAZ Studio is not a modelling application).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will down load it today and start using it. You all have been great !