Interconnecting cables for guitar pedals on pedal board

2»

Comments

• I Love being a Carrara user, I just hop into the vertex room draw a polyline and extrude a small circle along it

though I guess send to Hexagon might work for D|S users

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    bradrg said:
    wsgentry said:

Here is where I am with the cables.   I need to figure out how to flip the cable (tube).  Stuff doesn't work in Blender like it does in Studio.  angry

BTW, since I took the picture of my physical pedalboard,  I've actually cleaned it--before I had surgery.  Yeah, it got messy in my music area.  wink

Scott

it is different, but also far more powerful

Here are some useful shortcuts that may help:

a- select (a)ll verts (in edit mode) objects in object mode

b- box select verts (in edit mode) objects in object mode

c- paint select verts in edit mode, objects in object mode.

g- (g)rab - to move an object

r- (r)otate

rx - rotate around x axis,

ry - rotate around y axis

rz- You guessed it. 

rx90- rotate around x 90 degrees 

rx-64 rotate around x -64 degrees etc

. - when you rotate, use the fullstop key to pivot your object around 3d cursor (that reticle that is placed whenever you left click)

ctrl+. - pivot around the items pivot point. 

1- front view 

3- right side view

7- top view.

5- perspective mode on/off

0- rotate the viewport around the selected object. (middle mouse button to rotate)

to set the 3d cursor, tab into edit mode and select shift + s- choose an option. You can select 2 verts for example, shift -s > cursor to selected, this will place the 3d cursor in the middle of those two vertices. With that done you can rotate the object around your newly placed 3d cursor. it's extremely powerful.

You can for example tab into edit mode on the pedal, and select a vert where you want the cable to join. snap the 3d cursor to that. Tab back into object mode, select the cable, tab into edit mode- select the edge of the cable snap object to 3d cursor (using Shift S again) - and your cable will snap perfectly onto the back of the pedal

Thank you Brad!  I've copied your post and will use it a reference!

Scott

edited February 2018
    th3Digit said:

I Love being a Carrara user, I just hop into the vertex room draw a polyline and extrude a small circle along it

l thought about not replying to this because to me, it seems like a user with over sixteen thousand posts should behave better.  I'm happy you love being a Carrara user and I will download it.  I'm all for making things easier.  If Carrara is easier for this task, great and I appreciate your mentioning it. I'm trying to learn some things so being exposed to different things can be useful.  One thing I've learned in my 40-year IT career is this:  One size does not fit all--that goes for hardware and software; people have preferences.  Next time, think about writing something like, "Try Carrara.  It may be easier for you--and it's not expensive, now."

For the record, I have over 800 DAZ genuine products from many different PA's here and used a lot of them in the scene using the pedalboard   The scene is based around Charlotte 8 and uses many shaders from PA's here, Fit Control, UHT2 Ultimate Color, Utlimate Makeup for G8, EcVh0 Skin Shaders for G8, and many others. 

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on
  • th3Digit said:

I Love being a Carrara user, I just hop into the vertex room draw a polyline and extrude a small circle along it

Blender is a strange program. It always takes ten steps to do what another program can do in one, but at the end of the day, those ten steps give you infinite possibilities and ways to customize everything. That's really nice once you get used to it, but it certainly does take a lot longer to get used to. 

I own carrara, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I used to be a lightwave user- which was also an extremely easy program to use, but it just cost too much, and was quite buggy.    

• wsgentry said:
    th3Digit said:

l thought about not replying to this because to me, it seems like a user with over sixteen thousand posts should behave better.  I'm happy you love being a Carrara user and I will download it.  I'm all for making things easier.  If Carrara is easier for this task, great and I appreciate your mentioning it. I'm trying to learn some things so being exposed to different things can be useful.  One thing I've learned in my 40-year IT career is this:  One size does not fit all--that goes for hardware and software; people have preferences.  Next time, think about writing something like, "Try Carrara.  It may be easier for you--and it's not expensive, now."

For the record, I have over 800 DAZ genuine products from many different PA's here and used a lot of them in the scene using the pedalboard   The scene is based around Charlotte 8 and uses many shaders from PA's here, Fit Control, UHT2 Ultimate Color, Utlimate Makeup for G8, EcVh0 Skin Shaders for G8, and many others. 

Scott

I am sorry I posted too, I shall no longer see any posts by you unless I click to view so this should not be a problem in the future and you need not feel the urge to school me.

the fact I suggested Hexagon seems to have flown right past you, I am not a D|S user except as a means to get all my DAZ content into other sofware, Studio lacks a vertex room or any real modeling capabilities it is what it is, I could have said I love using Blender, 3Dstudio Max, Maya, C4D etc if that were my program of choice too and not been judged as they too have functions DAZ studio do not.

edited February 2018

Deleted

Post edited by wsgentry on

Ran into a problem.  I have the cables made in Blender and positioned.  The problem appears to be how it was imported into Blender--it's one object even though all the individual objects appear to be discreet.  I'm exporting it out of Blender as an OBJ for import back into Studio but it seems to flatten everything into one object making it impossible to select anything but the entire pedalboard in DAZ. 

Scott

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited February 2018

Syrus_Dante said:

[Edit_2] off topic links:

This link was a little hint of mine how to work with the DS Geometry Editor and the Selection technics. Scroll down to the end of this thread where I gave suggestions to use the Select Connected action.

With this you could select the polygons of the cables within the DS Geometry Editor. Then invert selection, hide selection and delete hidden. LOL I think 'carving an elephant out of marble' is the the heading of this thread.

There is an ongoing discussion here:

Hexagon Vs. Blender

knzflpmu Posts: 0February 22

I don't use Blender often enough to get good with the shortcuts.  Thankfully there are others who have taken it upon themselves to simplify the thing....

https://www.bforartists.de/

I know of another project like this

https://blendersensei.com/sensei-format/

This reminds me of the diffrent Linux distributions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

Another example:

"Fixing" Blender's User Interface at Youtube

I've watched many tutorials over the years to grow my knowledge.

A good advice is to keep you informed about what tools are available for free, then compare what you get with comercial software and decide what is worth the price, and think of would you ever manage to learn and use all features this software package offers or are there other tools providing better solutions.

I think its amazing what blender is able to do, if some could just manage to handle this software. It can get handy like a swiss army knife in some situations but on the other hand more specialized software may offer easier and better solutions. A good place to look is this blenderartist site.

I'm curious about future software updates of DAZ Studio, Hexagon and Blender some plans are very promising.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
    edited February 2018

A few other examples I found on youtube to create pipes in blender each workflow differes with what you start - a single vertex, a path, or a bezier curve and the profile of the 'pipe' can also be created in various ways:

edited February 2018

You could also try another export out of blender and try to isolate the cables. You may have started to add the cables to the imorted pedal board object, blender now threads this as a simgle object. But dont worry you can 'seperate' them quiet easily. Just tab to edit mode, hover the mouse over a cabel and press L to select 'linked' geometry - continue this untill all cables are selected. Next press spacebar to bring up the search and type in 'seperate' - select it and choose 'selection' in the dialogue - done. The cables should have become a seperate object in the 'outliner'.

Go back to Object mode with tab and select only the cables object. Now the OBJ export should only export the selection. At least that is how I would do it.

[Edit_1]: And here is another method:

Extruding the end of an existing mesh along a Bezier curve in Blender

Thank you again, Syrus!  I'll try exporting just the cables, one at a time, next.   I did get Carrara.  I found it appears to be incompatible with current .duf's so I imported the .OBJ's and played around with it.  It is powerful, but most resources for it are old--same thing with Hexagon, so I'm at the click around and see stage with Carrara. 

I truly appreciate the time and effort you've put into helping me.  In my experience helping people in something I'm comfortable with, I try to do the same thing you do.  If you're interested, here is a link to a "build thread" I did for a radio controlled helicopter. I'll warn you, it's huge and there are more than 500 photographs (my record is well over 800 photo's for a build thread). I'm dunkonu23 on most other sites and a semi-pro rc helicopter pilot for the US based team for a German manufacturer.  (Just a little bit of background on me.) 

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=768314

Thank you again, Syrus.  I'm a bit stiff today so after I post this, I'm pretty much done for the day. 

Scott

Cables are done!  Thanks for all the help, everyone! :)

Scott

• Well done. keep us updated. I'd like to see the render once it's done. 

For future reference, there is a really good batch export script here: look about halfway down the page for a script called  io_export_multiple_objs.py It will export each object as its own obj file. 

bradrg said:

Well done. keep us updated. I'd like to see the render once it's done. 

For future reference, there is a really good batch export script here: look about halfway down the page for a script called  io_export_multiple_objs.py It will export each object as its own obj file. 

Will do, Brad!  Thanks for the link to the script.

Scott

edited March 2018

Hi, how are you and does it progress?

Blender Curves + Arrays Modifier

I'm hooked now with the posebilitys of the blender pipe functions. A few more amazing usage examples:

More free recources

I also recently stumbled across this free recources site called: https://archive3d.net/

Have a look what they got for free download there @ Category: Musical instruments & equipment:

These are licenced free to use and edit:

By downloading 3D model from Archive3D.net you are agree with:
    1. This 3D model is provided "as is", entirely at your own risk.
    2. Archive3D.net doesn't accept any claims regarding quality of 3D model or any standards conformity.
    3. Archive3D.net is not responsible for the further use of this 3D model and does not consider the usage claims due to lack of tools and authority to control, confirm or guarantee the accuracy of personal data and law information.
    4. This model may be freely modificated or elaborated.
    Note: The models are provided in *.3DS and *.GSM formats. The basic ways of use are 3D Visualisation, Interior Design, Architectural Visualisation, Landscape Design, 3D Animation and 3D Art.

Maybe you could use the stage lights and guitars for your render - the flying V's looking pretty accurate.

In real life all this audio equipment, the PA, the lights, the stopboxes needs power supply.

Again there are good recources to download there for free.

https://archive3d.net/ Category: Climatic, HVAC & MEP equipment

I know what cables it requires and there is alot of wireing involved to even give a little public preformance.

Like I may do mid year with my band we practice almost every week.

Here is an example how one would do cables in ZBrush:

LOL I prefer to use the blender modifiers for that.

#AskZBrush: “Do you have any tips for creating cables and wires in precise locations?”

Wow good quality content I also found just in this moment here @ www.blendswap.com

This comes close to what my ibanez looks like:

I've just read an article about Gibson in todays newspaper, heared that they getting into financal trouble.