Rendering Issues

Hi Daz family,

I've been using Daz for years but just in a basic way. I had all my settings set up just the way I liked it and everything rendered out fast and fine. But my latest computer died and it's basically fried. I can't really turn it on to even see how things used to be set up. So I bought a new laptop and now rendering is a nightmare. I'm watching some tutorials now but one thing I noticed is that my video card doesn't show up in render settings. What gives? I'd love some help.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 2.38.33 AM.png
698 x 888 - 47K

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited February 2018

Simple. You need an nVidea graphic cards for fast Iray renders. No nvidea card means you go to CPU render straight away, and you'll be looking at glacial render times.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • But my old laptop worked fine. The software doesn't detect this video card at all.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited February 2018

Your old laptop probably had an nVidea graphic card.

You current has, as you posted, this card: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

It isn't a card with NVidea GPU, but an Intel GPU. It's probably the onboard graphic card of the processor. Please contact whoever sold you this laptop and clarify with them if you a) have an extra graphic card on board your Mac, and B) if that card has an nVidea GPU.

The card will only be recognized for Iray Renders if it has nVidea GPUs. Also, if you buy a laptop with an nVidea card, make sure that you have at least 4GB VideoRam on the graphic card, to fit in a scene. A 2GB card will, at best, allow you to render two dressed Genesis characters.

Also, you might find this thread interesting: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/232116/is-there-any-point-buying-a-macbook-pro

Post edited by BeeMKay on