Mind the gap.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

Working on my boots today after taking a break to model tentacled monstrosities in Sculptris.

I've run into a bit of a problem. There's going to be a spine running up the front of the boots with ribs that wrap around the legs. I've discovered there's a problem of a sizeable gap between the vertebrae right where the ankle and foot meet when the foot is posed in a standing position for the high heels.

There's some deformation with the heel, horns, and the spinous process on the one vertebrae which I'm not worried about because I know I can easily fix them when I clean up the weight maps once it's done, but any ideas what I can do to fix this gap?

mind_the_gap.jpg
1000 x 1250 - 525K

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Should I wedge an extra vertebrae into the space the overlaps the other two in the lax pose and the correct the weight maps or would this be something better fixed by rigidity and assigning the rigid form to a polygon that's right where the bend takes place? I'd like to avoid overlapping vertebrae if possible so as not to cause weirdness if the foot should be posed flat for some reason, but I certainly can't have that gap in there when it's posed and if that's the only way to fix it then so be it.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Should I wedge an extra vertebrae into the space the overlaps the other two in the lax pose and the correct the weight maps or would this be something better fixed by rigidity and assigning the rigid form to a polygon that's right where the bend takes place? I'd like to avoid overlapping vertebrae if possible so as not to cause weirdness if the foot should be posed flat for some reason, but I certainly can't have that gap in there when it's posed and if that's the only way to fix it then so be it.

Well, I rather doubt that heels like that are likely to break off any time soon so a flat foot pose wouldn't be a major concern. I'd go with adding vertebrae.