Is Poser worth it?

13»

Comments

• Every user is an advocat for the software he's using. Go to the Renderosity gallery and compare the Poser gallery with other galleries.
    What does it say about Poser?

• The UI is not for me, but I can see if it's for you, other UIs would be annoying. It dates back to the original Bryce/Kai's Power Tools era, I think. That was a time of some um, interesting, UI developments. 

• Richard Haseltine said:

On your last two points: dForce hair is built in to DS, but not user-creatable. Using Iray to render to Canvasses does produce .exr files.

Ah. I'm not familiar with canvases. I don't use Iray that much 

I also just noticed that some G4 content (M4, V4) is partially broken in Studio 4.14. Another reason Poser tends to work better with older content unless you keep an older version of Studio around (or use Carrara.)

• aaráribel caađo said:

The UI is not for me, but I can see if it's for you, other UIs would be annoying. It dates back to the original Bryce/Kai's Power Tools era, I think. That was a time of some um, interesting, UI developments. 

I'm not a huge fan of Poser's UI either. I find it harder to position cameras and lights than in Studio. But for my needs, it has a better feature set these days because of Daz pretty much going all out on Iray and letting 3Delight stagnate.

• unfortunately the needed upgrade to Python 3 breaks all the old scripts including DSON which is why I am staying on Poser11.

It will be up to DAZ if they want to address this with a new DSON import.

Poser certainly has its uses, I love the sketch rendering in particular.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

unfortunately the needed upgrade to Python 3 breaks all the old scripts including DSON which is why I am staying on Poser11.

I don't use much of the newer content anyway since it tends to be Iray only, so not having DSON import is not a big issue for me. When I absolutely need a Genesis 1, or 2 figure, I use the "Load in Daz Studio, export as cr2" workaround.

That said, after some frustrations with Poser today, I'm starting to reconsider my choice and debating whether I want to request a refund while still in the 30 day refund period. The main problem is that Poser's preview window is insanely slow, sometimes with even one complex figure (Hivewire Horse, for example). So slow that it's basically unusable for posing. I've tried every workaround I can think of (switching to wireframe mode, etc.) and nothing seems to fix it.

I'd write it off to the fact that I don;'t have the most up to date system in the world, except I don't have any similar issues in Daz Studio with the same model.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Freightliner Fox said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

unfortunately the needed upgrade to Python 3 breaks all the old scripts including DSON which is why I am staying on Poser11.

I don't use much of the newer content anyway since it tends to be Iray only, so not having DSON import is not a big issue for me. When I absolutely need a Genesis 1, or 2 figure, I use the "Load in Daz Studio, export as cr2" workaround.

That said, after some frustrations with Poser today, I'm starting to reconsider my choice and debating whether I want to request a refund while still in the 30 day refund period. The main problem is that Poser's preview window is insanely slow, sometimes with even one complex figure (Hivewire Horse, for example). So slow that it's basically unusable for posing. I've tried every workaround I can think of (switching to wireframe mode, etc.) and nothing seems to fix it.

I'd write it off to the fact that I don;'t have the most up to date system in the world, except I don't have any similar issues in Daz Studio with the same model.

There are some figures that are doing that (slowing down the preview window - try to move the horse somewhere else, or better don't ...) even in my PoserPro 2014, so it's not Poser 12.

I LIKE BOTH (AND BRYCE) ... I just don't like the "I have to phone home or I die" switch they built in since PP2014GameDev, or I would have bought later (newer) versions too.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

Is the latest version of poser released? If so is it too late to use the free poser coupon?