Importation of mtl files

In the past I have relied on re-matting smaller models but with the newer space models I find that it would be easier to use the accompaning mtl file. I tried to find the old MetalfiXer program but jelissa no longer hosts it. Do any of you know of a link or possible a newer program to convert mtl files for use in BR7.1?

thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Just so I'm certain...

You're talking about OBJ files?

When you import an OBJ you have to select OBJ group material from the import dialogue.

Even still, the mtl files will load in any image textures included in the file folder that the obj is in assuming the obj and .mtl file and all the assets are in the same folder, but that is about it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

yes, as Rashad says  the MTL  is short for MaTeriaL   and it just shows the location of the materials

• NavimNavim Posts: 79

Just so I'm certain...

You're talking about OBJ files?

When you import an OBJ you have to select OBJ group material from the import dialogue.

Even still, the mtl files will load in any image textures included in the file folder that the obj is in assuming the obj and .mtl file and all the assets are in the same folder, but that is about it.

Both the obj and the mtl's are in the same folder but even with group selected they do not load. Going in to the DTE to load they do not show either.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

Usually, if Bryce cannot find the mtl files because they are not where they are defined in the obj file, Bryce prompts to locate them manually. The DTE is the deep texture editor and cannot work with pictures. You can go into the Picture Editor but to my knowledge mtl files are unknown to it.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2018
    Navim said:

Both the obj and the mtl's are in the same folder but even with group selected they do not load.

The .mtl file name and location is supposed to be specified near the top of the .obj file. Usually it's simply the name, which means both files are in the same folder and the .mtl filename is the same as the .obj — but this depends on the program that created the .obj file, some of them specify a hardcoded path on the hard drive of the computer that the file was saved on.

It gets complicated, but there are about half a dozen ways an obj/mtl file pair can be set up, and they don't always match the way other programs look for the .mtl file once the .obj file has been loaded. Any glitch in this process means the .mtl isn't found, even if it's right there in the folder. I've got used to always checking the files themselves (loading into a text editor) to see if there's anything weird this time.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on

Oh well, guess its' back to hand texturing. Oh my aching head!

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

What does the  MetalfiXer program do to the MTL file?  I've never heard of any program or had the need for a program to convert MTL files.  You can edit MTL files in window's note pad or word pad.

Sorry I missed your question. MtllFixer was popular back in the days of Bryce 3 AND 4 for fixing mtl files. Evidently it is no longer around. There is a new kid on the block called MeshLab that will allow manipulation and corrections to 3d files. They are currently moving to their new offices so I don't expect the download to be available for a few days yet.

Mike

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Could this be the tool you've mentioned? If not, it may still be useful...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtlfixer/

Looks like a windows installer. Does simple tweaks of mtl files that would seem to make them more standard/generic...

hope this helps,

--ms

Thats the one! May you receive blessings for a thousand years.

Navim said:

Well I tried to download it and it appears to be corrupted but what else to expect from something that is 12 years old?

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited February 2018

@Navim

I tried it and it works ok.

I've uploaded it to my PCloud account if you want to try again.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZTC6R7Zh7vbkCv5hB0QojmDVuc1vXsv4vdV

Before you install it though, right click on the setup/installer icon and click Properties at the bottom.

Click the Compatibility Tab at the top and tick Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3)

Also tick Run as administrator at the bottom. Then run the installer.

Also, you may have to update Java.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited February 2018

Here it is working with a .mtl file and the fixed saved version.

Untitled.jpg
    898 x 612 - 148K
    Post edited by StuartB on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    Navim said:

even a week's worth of blessings are appreciated, heh...

I hope you can get it working!

cheers,

--ms