Congrats to the winners!
    :cheese:

Post edited by hawkonthewing on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

and i completely bombed out again

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2013

Congratulations! The theme was particularly tricky, don't you think? People have entirely different views on what scares them. The contest went for B-class stuff, I think, rather than Gothic etc. - it was a nice experience. I was so shocked to see nobody ever thought of trying such literature themes such as solitude or rejection. That's really scary in my humble opinion, a fiend surely isn't.

By the way, is it possible for the judges to show us their opinions now since the contest's over please? I bet it would be very teaching for all of us to see how did they view our entries and so on. Pretty please :).

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited July 2013

...bugger, and I really liked your submission. I would have thought it would have made "creepiest" at least.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...bugger, and I really liked your submission. I would have thought it would have made "creepiest" at least.

I just don't have what it takes anymore. People tend to think that i win all the time, the truth is i had one really good year. The last 2 years have been really dry. Getting really tired of even trying anymore, it gets really depressing

I do have to say there were some great entries in this, congrats to those who won

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited July 2013

I felt the same after all the work I put into my submission for the June PC challenge too.

I for one don't think you've lost a step at all.

...and being the masochist I am, I've been working on one for the July challenge which is again is taking on epic proportions and it isn't even a third of the way complete yet.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I just don't have what it takes anymore. People tend to think that i win all the time, the truth is i had one really good year. The last 2 years have been really dry. Getting really tired of even trying anymore, it gets really depressing

I do have to say there were some great entries in this, congrats to those who won

Lycan, why such a negative mood? Nobody can win all the time. In fact, we win by trying, not by receiving prizes like those lucky bastards out there :D.

Still, I have a strange thought in my mind. Look at the renders. Is it a survey of what average people are scared of these days? Sorry to mumble, I write way too many sociological works on culture theses days... ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

There were some really good entries, was a very hard comp to judge.

BTW Frank didn't tell you, but the judges were judging blind, only had a render and a number, didn't know who did what.

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Congratulations! And applause to everyone for a challenge full of excellent renders. Glad to see the additional categories, too.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yep and I made sure not to look much. Just be happy knowing some voted for some that didn't win..LX. ;)

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if it is something anyone would be willing to do, but I would love to get some feedback if possible. I am trying hard to improve, but it can be difficult working in a vacuum. Then there's the problem of comparing myself against all the great artists on the site, too. Maybe that is something better suited to another thread?
    :red:

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if it is something anyone would be willing to do, but I would love to get some feedback if possible. I am trying hard to improve, but it can be difficult working in a vacuum. Then there's the problem of comparing myself against all the great artists on the site, too. Maybe that is something better suited to another thread?

I agree hawkonthewing, I always welcome feedback and would have liked to know what the judges thought but I understand the need for voting in the blind.

CONGRATS to all the winners!!!!!!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW Frank didn't tell you, but the judges were judging blind, only had a render and a number, didn't know who did what.

I thought it was obvious - good to hear it from a trusted member like Chohole :D.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Great stuff guys, well done. I loved all the winning entries and I thought my favourite was the west park freezer creature. If I was a judge, that would be where my point would have gone.

Much respect,
    Barry.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,413
    edited December 1969

All I can say about how the voting goes is that you get 3 points for a 1st place vote, 2 points for a 2nd place vote and 1 point for a 3rd place vote. At the end they are totaled and the winner's chosen by that number. The judging was blind judging so the only thing the judges had was an image and a number. No critique is given for images. All we want is a number that correspond to the image you are voting for.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723
    edited December 1969

so did I

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    All I can say about how the voting goes is that you get 3 points for a 1st place vote, 2 points for a 2nd place vote and 1 point for a 3rd place vote. At the end they are totaled and the winner's chosen by that number. The judging was blind judging so the only thing the judges had was an image and a number. No critique is given for images. All we want is a number that correspond to the image you are voting for.

I do not believe that anyone implied in anyway that the voting was unfair.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

so did I

me 3 :roll:

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

so did I

me 3 :roll:

so did Gorgonzuella :P
    she'll drink all the beer for consolation

• WirenutWirenut Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners!
    This was a fun contest, sort of a warm up for Halloween.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

He was responding to the couple people who had asked for critique and who were curious about how the voting was done. So he wanted to explained it. :)

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

He was responding to the couple people who had asked for critique and who were curious about how the voting was done. So he wanted to explained it. :)

Ok, phew, I was going to be horribly embarassed if I had given the impression I thought things were unfair, far from it! And it makes sense the way it was done, coming up with a critique for everything would take forever, I'm sure.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Ok, phew, I was going to be horribly embarassed if I had given the impression I thought things were unfair, far from it! And it makes sense the way it was done, coming up with a critique for everything would take forever, I'm sure.

In the past we have tried doing that (and we do do it in the WIP Thread for the New User Contest) but with art being very subjective depending on the person viewing it and given that really not everyone will agree on every critique, it is hard to do successfully. I could say well I felt xyz image was too dark and I had trouble seeing it well and someone else would say that the darkness of the image was perfectly suited and set the mood etc (Hope that makes sense) so in the end you can get "mixed" critique that doesn't always help. That said if someone really wanted some general feedback on their image, please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to do so just know that what I would say would be for just general guidance and just based on my opinion. Not something to be taken as gospel so to speak LOL

On topic, we had a family emergency that happened during the contest so we will be leaving to help with some family stuff, with that in mind, please know that if you send me your prizes by PM or contact me for Critique, it will be a couple days till I can get to them. I am taking our laptop with us though so it will still get done even though we will be away but I don't want anyone thinking I am ignoring them if I don't respond right away. I will reply to you though by PM so you know when I get it and with an idea of when the prizes should be in your accounts etc :) I am sorry for any inconvenience but we are going to do our best :)

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all the winners and to everyone that participated. It was fun to see all the creatures everyone came up with. Nobody should feel down for not winning contests as there are a lot of talented people working hard and also art is subjective.

I don't think feedback is the focus here but I could be wrong? I think there are other threads that focus more on that. I also recommend deviantArt. I will give you some quick feedback... I think this is a nice image but the main things I see that can be improved are the poses, composition and lighting. Everyone is very vertical, which is not dynamic or interesting and it does not look like he is being pulled with all their might. What if the angel was pretty much as she is, the devil was almost completely horizontal swooping in and the guy in the middle was at around a 45 degree angle? The guy could have at least one leg off the ground to show more of a struggle, right now he looks too firmly planted. Or maybe the angel could have him by the ankles and the devil could have him by the arms? The lighting looks a bit flat. If the scene was darker the light from the flame wings could be a more of a prominent source. Maybe the angel could be giving off light. And this might be too gory for the forum and/or for your tastes but what if he was being quartered by them, like actually have all his limbs being torn off?! I think it can help to do rough sketches by hand of the composition, even if it's just quick gesture drawings. Just brainstorming here, hope it's helpful.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

quick reply to this one. this simple set of help tools for setting up a dynamic image based on the golden rules of art may help you

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17976/

With an image using 3 main characters the spiral will be the way to go really, or the spiral used with one of the rules of thirds ones. the golden triangles or diagonal thirds

edited December 1969

Thanks, both of you, that is actually VERY helpful. I can see what you mean Swawa3d, and I think it gave me some ideas. And thank you for the other thread, Chohole. I didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but thanks!

Congrats again to the winners!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The Winners are as follows:

1st - The Creeper by hole
    2nd - Creature from the Dark by Sasje
    3rd - West Park Morgue's Freezer Creature by Vanguard

Funniest
    Undead Donuts by Storypilot

Creepiest
    Said The Spider to the Fly by Zawarkal

Most Creative
    Ratmen by scorpio64dragon

Best Non-Entry
    DAZ Monstrosity Babies by Tjohn

Congratulations all! Thanks for the contest! (Have to remember to post more non-entries in the contests, LOL.)
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Congrats, everyone! I really enjoyed all the unique creations. :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

I'll just give a quick insight (I'll be 60 next month) into how I view contests; I haven't entered a contest at DAZ before, but entered quite a few Bryce contests at the "R" - I won sometimes, but more often I did not.
    1. The results are neither an indication of or an indictment of your talent or lack thereof.
    2. Contests should be thought of as a way to improve your "chops" as an artist. You can't build muscle without exercise, and contests give you a reason to create.
    3. The more contests you enter the larger the body of work you create and the larger your portfolio grows, which is important if you think you'd like to make a career as an artist. (I'm a digital hobbyist, although I sold a few trad works in my younger days.)
    4. Lastly, and most importantly, whether I win a contest or not, I enjoy it. And it's fun seeing what my fellow artists create. And sometimes their work provides a springboard for new ideas of my own.
    John

• KrewKrew Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! :-) There were some really great pictures in this thread.