How to modify Content

Maybe some already knows about this but for me it was a bit new, so i like to share this for people who also didn't know about this.

somehow i was wondering how you can modify your purchased content to make it fit better without using the morphs.
Some clothes for example didn't really fit on some of my characters, so some parts of the clothes disappeared inside

the figure.
Morphing the right parts out can help often, but not always.
For example, a character with big breasts will have issues to find clothes that will cover them correctly.
Using morphs sometimes will cover them but will also make some other parts even bigger than they are so that the

breasts on the clothes are much bigger than on the figure.
Another example is for a skirt, some skirts are for nearly zero pose because if you pose them out, they won't move

much with the figure and the legs will come through.
Another thing i don't like much on clothes for figures with big breasts are that they look unnatural, they look nearly

like a second skin how they cover them but in reality you will just see the full shape (don't know how to explain that

correctly) but normally you have no cleavage on clothes.
That are some reasons why i was trying to find out how to modify the clothes directly and Carrara did not support that

directly because if you go into the model room you see the dress for example in the default pose without any morphs.
You can't really do much here but you can go to edit, click on convert to other modeler and choose primitive.
Than click again on convert to other modeler and use vertex modeler and you will have the dress now with full morph.
Now you can cut things out, add things or bend things with soft selection to fit it to the shape you want.

But editing the content like dresses or figures will change it completely, that means, morphs and or poses will no longer fit for the character and have to be created manually.
If you have dynamic hair on a figure and modify the figure, the hair have to be made again as it is no longer a V4 figure for example.
For static scenes and portraits it's all right.

The first image (yellow top) shows what i mean, breast section is morphed to get a bit fit but still doesn't really fit and the breasts from the dress looks very unnatural because it would never look like this in real, maybe if the dress would be made of very tight material like latex.
The other pictures are with edited polygons in the modeling room.

test.jpg
1185 x 1497 - 964K
001a.jpg
1185 x 1697 - 783K
003a.jpg
1185 x 1501 - 400K

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2018
    That are some reasons why i was trying to find out how to modify the clothes directly and Carrara did not support that

directly because if you go into the model room you see the dress for example in the default pose without any morphs.

When you are in the edit room, click the animation mode button and the clothes will jump into the posed shape and you can fix things in-place.

A better way is to edit in the scene instead of in the vertex modeling room, so that you can see the character too. To do that, click on the wrench/spanner icon in the second row of controls at the top of the screen to edit something without entering the edit room and then click on the animation mode button, then edit away!

Animation Mode button in Vertex Editor

Capture.JPG
    240 x 178 - 17K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • thanks for the information, when i click on animation mode it only shows the already morphed/posed dress but not change the dress in the modeling mode.
    When editing the dress i always use the assemble room as it's a lot easier to model on the figure than guessing where the figures shape could be :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Editing in animation mode depends in part on the figure.  For genesis (1-8) figures and their conformed clothing, won't be able to edit morphs in Carrara animation mode.  For figures rigged in Carrara and many rigged in the V4 and earlier rigging, can edit morphs in animation mode.  Can still edit the Genesis conforming meshes , but not in animation mode.  Some examples of some of the approaches discussed by Chris Fox can be found in an old Gobbles thread.  Thanks for the tips, Chris.  MDO's animation mode tip is also great to remember when it is appropriate.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/five-ways-to-fix-poke-through-without-using-conforming-figures/p1

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Any "Purchased content" should be (protected) when it's loaded into carrara, this is to stop the user accidentally breaking the product,. and the usr should get a warning message whenever they try to edit the model in the vertex modeller,. (protected topology)

changing the model by adding or deleting any vertices will make any morphs which use those vertices ,. Fail to work.

You can disable (protect topology) in the vertex modeler .. View / Protect topology,.

As MDO points out,. "Animation mode" should be the answer to what you want to do,. edit the figure or clothing,. but as Diomede add's ...it's not the same for all models.

Fenric created a plugin to allow the user to edit the model and preserve the hidden functionality, (Unlock figure / Restore figure) 

that's probably the safest way to edit the figure without breaking everything,.. but if you add, delete or change the amount of vertices, then any existing morphs, which use those vetices may not work.

The Hair issues you're seeing are probably because of a change in the number of vertices,. which confuses the selection of polys you created for the hair

edit the model,. then add the hair ,. 

Even better,.. Grow the hair on a "hair cap" which can be "parented" to the figures head,. then the figure and hair are separate objects,. easier to deal with.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2018

Don't forget the magnet tool in the Vertex Room which is good for hips and bums adjustments for clothes However, I seem to now prefer choosing a section with soft selection and pulling/pushing.  Also, you can select parts of an item by choosing to Select an area by Shading Domain. Or if not broken down into Shading Domains, click on a vertice and then use the + sign in the right hand panel to spread your selection and often it will restrict itself to the immediate vertices.

Because I kit-bash almost everything to re-texture or put together in different combinations, it's really why I chose Carrara and not DS. 

Thanks for the two-step Model room editing tip, Chris!

yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Genesis 2 Dress on V4 Figure thanks to modifying the dress via vertex modeler :)
    So any cloth can be used on any figure, the question is, G3 figure will not load directly into Carrara, will clothes for G3 figures be able to load in Carrara?
    Haven't any to test it out.

018.jpg
    1185 x 1497 - 772K
    019.jpg
    1185 x 1497 - 471K
    020.jpg
    1185 x 1497 - 598K
    021.jpg
    1185 x 1497 - 618K
    edited February 2018

Solved.

Our very own Mistara has solved the Genesis 3 and 8 error issue  There is a problem in the Genesis 3 and 8 rigging files that Carrara can't handle and causes the crash.  She has made character presets for G3 and G8 figures (available at 'rosity) that will load in Carrara and keep the shaping morphs active .  To use G3 and G8 clothing as conformers on those characters, open Daz Studio, load the clothing item, use the edit menu to convert the rigging from triax to BLENDED, and then save as a scene subset.  Back in Carrara, load Misty's character, load your blended version of the clothing item, and carry on.  

Way to go, Misty!!!!

Similarly, you might try to load the G3 or G8 clothing item, use the vertex modeler to shape to your V4-G2F or M4-G2M character, and use the VWD plugin to drape on the figure.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • i already knew that, the question i was asking is if G3 clothes will load directly in carrara or not, i will not use G3 figure for G3 clothes.
    I know Mistara did a great job on finding out the issue but that's something (in my opinion) that Daz should fix generell.
    Some of my content causes an error if i load them from the libary, the only way for those to load them in carrara are to save the clothe i like in DS and import it directly to the scene in Carrara and maybe save it in the my objects tab.
    btw. i still don't have/use VWD, don't have any way to pay online.

As I said, you can load G3 and G8 clothing in Carrara.  Convert them to blended if you run into any problems.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2018

i already knew that, the question i was asking is if G3 clothes will load directly in carrara or not, i will not use G3 figure for G3 clothes.
    I know Mistara did a great job on finding out the issue but that's something (in my opinion) that Daz should fix generell.
    Some of my content causes an error if i load them from the libary, the only way for those to load them in carrara are to save the clothe i like in DS and import it directly to the scene in Carrara and maybe save it in the my objects tab.
    btw. i still don't have/use VWD, don't have any way to pay online.

Some G3 clothes 'do' and some 'don't'.... the problem for me comes when posing the G2 which has long sleeves on the G3 item. It screws up arm postures. Or, eg boots... they might fit to a G2 character, but if you move to pose with G3 boots,  the boots stay in place on the floor and the bare-footed legs go where I want. In addition, if they have pants/trousers, like the arms, they go out of whack like the arms often do.

To avoid all this aggro and use G3 wardobe items...that won't happily load onto a G2... I open the item in DS and do the quick and easy Misty routine to convert to blended weight, then save in the same folder as the actual G3 item (so I know where to find it), then wah-lah, they work on G2. MOST of the time, I still have trouble with boots.  Also, I think I did load a converted G3 onto a G1 a while back.

As I rename the items as I save them into the browser with their new custom textures that I do, I often lose track of the original items name. I really should save them with their original vendor given name, even in the browser!!!

yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on