Monsters, zombies and demons

SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I get that you think all of this darkness is going to win you business but I personally don't care for it. I don't like that you put a zombie on the opening screen of version 4.6, how can I remove it or change it to something more pleasant to look at?

I'd appreciate it if you toned down all of your new advertisements for it too... Maybe you think all of your artist are 16 years old and have some kind of love with death, but a lot of us prefer things that are beautiful. Maybe you can find a way of balance but I have to admit it leaves me feeling you promote a negative image.

It's said as a partial truth, "Society reflects its art." Truth be known, Art mirrors society and your vision as co-creator empowers it. Vision makers of tomorrow, becareful what you make, make something beautiful. Its your choice and your focus. Choose wisely.

Take care and thanks for making a great product. I love everything else about the 4.6 release except that HORRIBLE splash screen. Let's make it something nice. Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888
    edited May 2013

While I sympathise with your view, this isn't going to reach DAZ here. I would suggest making a feature request for a choice of splash screens for DS, or even making the splash image filly customisable, via the bug tracker bus.daz3d.com (separate log in required, select Feature under Severity to make a feature request). The advertising will no doubt go away soon.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I get that you think all of this darkness is going to win you business but I personally don't care for it. I don't like that you put a zombie on the opening screen of version 4.6, how can I remove it or change it to something more pleasant to look at?

I'd appreciate it if you toned down all of your new advertisements for it too... Maybe you think all of your artist are 16 years old and have some kind of love with death, but a lot of us prefer things that are beautiful. Maybe you can find a way of balance but I have to admit it leaves me feeling you promote a negative image.

It's said as a partial truth, "Society reflects its art." Truth be known, Art mirrors society and your vision as co-creator empowers it. Vision makers of tomorrow, becareful what you make, make something beautiful. Its your choice and your focus. Choose wisely.

Take care and thanks for making a great product. I love everything else about the 4.6 release except that HORRIBLE splash screen. Let's make it something nice. Thanks

I rather like the new splash screen myself. It's not as if it's an inappropriate image like nudity or excessive gore would be, and it well illustrates what can be done with the program. This seems like a terribly petty thing to complain about in my opinion, and I don't imagine Daz would release a new version just to appease the minority who didn't like the splash screen. I'd much rather keep their efforts focused on new advances and bug fixes.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It is not as small a minority as you may think HOF, just that only a few are brave enough to post their objections, and it has actually been remarked on in several threads.

Customisable is probably the only way t please everyone.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The remark that all the monsters are a bit much is off a good bit. Just because we have had a Monster Bash so to speak, does not come close to covering all the content released in the last month let alone the last few months. I'm not a big creature fan myself but I feel the diversity of content is covered pretty well. Jillian on the very same newsletter is beautiful if you ask me. And many MATURE 3D users do enjoy the creatures or they would not sale well enough for Daz3D to release so many in such a short time.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2013

On the Mac back in the days of OS 9 there was a system tool I used to use to change splash screens (Jack in the box icon, anyone?) and 9 times out of 10 they were .pct files. It would be a nice option to have maybe the option for no splash, or a text only splash or something. I'm not a huge fan of happy zombie but I know a lot of work went into it and it's an excellent render, just not everyone's cup of tea,
    If nothing else maybe we could have a splash screen thread and you could just download something you like.
    So if someone has a bug tracker incident to add as a feature post the link here so others might add their $0.02

P.S. Read Mary Shelliy's "Frankenstein", and you'll see who the real monster is! Spoiler Alert: It's Dracula!

pro.jpg
    720 x 333 - 85K
    Post edited by StratDragon on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I HATE ZOMBIES!!!. Okay I said (yelled) it and feel better now. I too would like to see in the future the splash screen images be more general audience type pictures. As for the advertising if that is what the current sale is than that is what the ads have to show. When I saw the name of the e-mail ad I knew it wasn't anything I was interested in and just deleted it with out opening.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

I do find that zombies, as an element of popular culture, are pretty much played out for me. When 'zombie apocalypse' is an everyday catch-phrase, it's time to retire it for a while.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Is beauty not in the eye of the beholder, you see these creatures as ugly and therefore to be feared perhaps you should try not to judge merely by outward appearances.
    and I am far from a 16 year old and I really like the new stuff, personally I think the new splash screen balances things very nicely the outwardly pretty girl and the monster, Beauty and the beast perhaps.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I opened a feature request,
    https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50470

Anybody can add your voice to it.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

I appreciate everybody sharing their thoughts and being fairly even handed about them. I even liked the humor of the "Sunshine, lollipop and rainbow edition"... I would love that version.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

It appears to be embedded in the dzCore.dll file. If you have DS 4.5 still, you can copy the dzCore.dll from it and place it in the DS 4.6.exe folder, that way the 4.5 angel picture will appear instead of the monster. I imagine you are likely to lose a number (most?) of the new 4.6 features, though.

• TralenTralen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'd appreciate it if you toned down all of your new advertisements for it too... Maybe you think all of your artist are 16 years old and have some kind of love with death, but a lot of us prefer things that are beautiful.

I also prefer things that are beautiful, but I do count decaying flesh among them. Regardless, I would like to change my splashscreen as well, preferably to something with no images at all, or disable it altogether.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    It appears to be embedded in the dzCore.dll file. If you have DS 4.5 still, you can copy the dzCore.dll from it and place it in the DS 4.6.exe folder, that way the 4.5 angel picture will appear instead of the monster. I imagine you are likely to lose a number (most?) of the new 4.6 features, though.

It would be one thing to switch out a jpg file... I think that if DAZ3D is as clever as they make themselves out to be, they will allow customization of the splash screen via personalizing it with something we ourselves make...

They can throw there name over your saved creation... which by extension promises to make everybody happy.

I don't have to look at decaying flesh and that other person who said its 'beautiful' can enjoy scary freaky stuff... to each their own.

The next upgrade can be "DAZ3D Me"...

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

I can't remember being all that fond of any of the splash screens, to be honest. But IIRC, in DS 1.x the themed images were still there once the program loaded, though we could adjust the "theme" or whatever it was called so we could decide if we wanted to have to look at dragons all the time or whatever. I guess I'm grateful that I don't have to work around "Beauty and the Beast" once 4.6 is done loading. ;)

That said, I don't find the image offensive, but I've been trying to get folks at the college where I work to consider using DS to create images for our website, and "half-dead critter + half-clothed babe" doesn't really make a winning combination for that purpose. I guess DAZ is more concerned about the fantasy market rather than the workplace/campus illustration market. I imagine that makes sense from a business point of view.