What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• some kind of a dependency editor (did I say this allready?) whould be nice. ERC freeze is o.k. but to edit slave values whould be better. (Exc: Master Parameter at 50% has a slave value of another morph of 26.78954%. At a Master of 100%, both are at 100%)

You can use Keyed ERC, setting the value pairs in the timeline before freezing. You can edit ERC values in the Property Hierarchy.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    MJW said:

I would like to be able to designate floor surface, and foot (if bare), or shoe surface, so I can actually drop to floor. One of the things I do spend a lot of time doing is making sure the heels of boots aren't imbedded in the floor. This is not particularly fun, and seems like something that could be managed  a bit easier.

Would also again, really like a better organizational ability from within dim. Having to redo file structures for 3000+ items some of which are in different locations, despite performing backups, I can attest to this being something I do not enjoy.

Finally, would like if it is true that DIM shouldn't run at the same time as studio, that it would quit  when studio is active or at least warn me. I understand that running DIM at the same time DAZ is running will corrupt your database. If so, I'd like to not be able to do that, because... Er... sadly I have launched and ran Studio, forgetting DIM was open.

I endorse this, but think that a better idea than just floor surface would be a quick way of defining the level of a specific surface. That way we could hit the surface even if it were not at 'floor' level. I have spent many a happy hour trying to remove shadows caused by floating og=bjects that weren't floating.

Sorry, did I say 'happy'?!?!?

I would also like an easy and reliable means fo locating specific things in larger scenes or environments.

I alo have had probs running DIM and D/S at the same time.

There is the align tool. 

edited July 2015
    MacSavers said:
    kyoto kid said:

..that would require sending the render job to an external batch process. The only reason this can be done with Reality/Lux (and most likely Octane) is that all the scene information is uploaded completely to the render engine which is separate from the main Daz application.

Actually, it's possible to send it to an external 3Delight renderer. Not sure about Iray. It's not a fun technical exercise to try and get it setup though. If Daz could give us a setup script for Win/Mac to be able to send the renders out of Daz, this would be great for animation renders. When Daz does the 3Delight render, you can't do a thing except wait. Would be nice to have it render in 3Delight outside of Daz so you can go back to work on the scene or go to the next scene.

Render to RIB. You can then use the standalone 3Delight Render engine. (Or the Renderman Render engine if you prefer.)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited July 2015

some kind of a dependency editor (did I say this allready?) whould be nice. ERC freeze is o.k. but to edit slave values whould be better. (Exc: Master Parameter at 50% has a slave value of another morph of 26.78954%. At a Master of 100%, both are at 100%)

Already possible. ValueOpKey

NVM Richard explained it properly. LOL

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    MacSavers said:
    kyoto kid said:

..that would require sending the render job to an external batch process. The only reason this can be done with Reality/Lux (and most likely Octane) is that all the scene information is uploaded completely to the render engine which is separate from the main Daz application.

Actually, it's possible to send it to an external 3Delight renderer. Not sure about Iray. It's not a fun technical exercise to try and get it setup though. If Daz could give us a setup script for Win/Mac to be able to send the renders out of Daz, this would be great for animation renders. When Daz does the 3Delight render, you can't do a thing except wait. Would be nice to have it render in 3Delight outside of Daz so you can go back to work on the scene or go to the next scene.

Render to RIB. You can then use the standalone 3Delight Render engine. (Or the Renderman Render engine if you prefer.)

This is what I was referring to, but setting up the standalone 3Delight Render engine isn't exactly easy. It's a bit of technical maze to get it to behave, especially on the Mac. I haven't tried Renderman yet, but I have been thinking about it. Guess I just need time to sit down and do it.

Still, my request for a script to set it up for us is sitll on my wishlist for version 5.

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:
    kyoto kid said:

This is what I was referring to, but setting up the standalone 3Delight Render engine isn't exactly easy. It's a bit of technical maze to get it to behave, especially on the Mac. I haven't tried Renderman yet, but I have been thinking about it. Guess I just need time to sit down and do it.

Still, my request for a script to set it up for us is sitll on my wishlist for version 5.

You want a script to install and setup 3Delight Standalone? 

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2015
    MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:
    kyoto kid said:

Still, my request for a script to set it up for us is still on my wishlist for version 5.

And if I may inject. I have significant doubts that such a beast would work for "Spot renders", only for all-out full frame renders???

Tho, IF, the cluster is fast enough at it, and it eliminates face-plant time (Yea, right), it would not matter, lol.

(EDIT) The free "Standalone" is limited to 8 cores (Eight cores, no more). So a cluster would still require more license stuff. Or is it 16, It's few enough that it is not worth making a cluster of more then a single PC without spending allot of funds on license stuff.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

Multiple node-level collisions / smoothing modifiers (exactly like the dynamic cloth plugin) and physics / gravity (even something as "simple" as a button to have hair and bodyfat adjust to the scene realistically)

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:
    kyoto kid said:

You want a script to install and setup 3Delight Standalone? 

Installing the 3Delight Standalone is easy. Getting the queue portion, not so much. There's material issues and other aspects that have to be dealt with before you can just use it. Plus, it would be nice to see a queue window in Daz of the status of any renders you sent to it.

• MJWMJW Posts: 516

As of 4.8 drop to floor is the bottom of the shoes. Also note that in Iray, by default, when you render, the ground plane/shadowcatcher, is right below the lowest object in the scene, unless the lowest object is at y>0. In otherwords you can have flying objects, but if you accidentally wind up below the y=0 point the ground plane will shift down. 

Does this mean that (eg) trying to sink feet into snow or mud will not work?

One thing I don't seem able to find on the site is as earch engine that allows me to find specific posted images.

MJW said:

As of 4.8 drop to floor is the bottom of the shoes. Also note that in Iray, by default, when you render, the ground plane/shadowcatcher, is right below the lowest object in the scene, unless the lowest object is at y>0. In otherwords you can have flying objects, but if you accidentally wind up below the y=0 point the ground plane will shift down. 

Does this mean that (eg) trying to sink feet into snow or mud will not work?

One thing I don't seem able to find on the site is as earch engine that allows me to find specific posted images.

It means that you are probably not using the shadowcatcher. :) If you are you can turn off the automatic placement of it. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2015

I am using DAZ 4.8. When I drop the character to the ground, their feet float above it. Here is genesis 2 male. His feet are floating above the ground. It is the same if he wears shoes.  

image-2.jpg
    1030 x 822 - 297K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Daz_Spooky said: "It means that you are probably not using the shadowcatcher. :) If you are you can turn off the automatic placement of it. "

I haven't a clue what you are describing!

Age is no barrier to my ignorance!!!!!

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153
    ssgbryan said:

1. Documentation.

2. All of the bugs from DS4 fixed

3. Documentation

4. A finsished product - ALL SUBSYSTEMS COMPLETE - having things like the shader system & autofix still in beta is ridiculous.

5. Did I mention documentation?

I won't waste my time downloading a program that isn't complete and doesn't come with documentation.

Agree to all 5, but you didn't mention documentation.

I'd like to see support for installing the application and content somewhere other than the default locations on a Mac. I have Studio in permantently broken status now because I tried to install it on my external drive. I'm so tired of messing with it, I don't run Studio anymore.

Update the interface to someting more useful and less ugly.

edited July 2015

tmtmtm said:
    How about overhauling the god-awful content library system? Stuff is all over the place because the content creators make these ridiculous folder structures that I, the end user, have to manually fix.

It's awful.

That is the problem that smart cont is designed to solve.

And doesn't. Smart content was a great idea, but the execution was horrible.

Edited to fix quotes

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,021
    edited July 2015

I'd like to see support for installing the application and content somewhere other than the default locations on a Mac. I have Studio in permantently broken status now because I tried to install it on my external drive. I'm so tired of messing with it, I don't run Studio anymore.

DS works with alternative locations in general. however if you are using a drive that changes mount point on a Mac I believe there can be issues.

tmtmtm said:
    How about overhauling the god-awful content library system? Stuff is all over the place because the content creators make these ridiculous folder structures that I, the end user, have to manually fix.

It's awful.

That's not a useful description - how it it horrible? I think Spooky is in this case meaning the CMS geenrally, includign Product and Category lists as well as Smart Content per se.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Update the interface to someting more useful and less ugly.

I have mine setup in the Shared user, so it's not difficult to do. Just create a new folder where you want the content to be, then go into Daz and set that folder as your content folder. Then, open DIM, use the setup button to tell it the new location and start installing content. I'm on a Mac as well and I use RSRConv to install non-Daz content to the same location.

DS works with alternative locations in general. however if you are using a drive that changes mount point on a Mac I believe there can be issues.

tmtmtm said:

It's awful.

That's not a useful description - how it it horrible? I think Spooky is in this case meaning the CMS geenrally, includign Product and Category lists as well as Smart Content per se.

All of those plus the ability to set up items as you want to see them in the smart content tab and to add products or freebies from other places. (And that is fully documentrd.)

I've thought of another. I find it nigh-on impossible to see the icons/thumbnails on my laptop. Could we have a sort of zoom facility for the text and tabs, please?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,736

GUI request:

Increase/Decrease sensitivity of dials and other relevant controls by a factor 10 (or user defined) by pressing ctrl/alt/whatever while using them.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Taozen said:

GUI request:

Increase/Decrease sensitivity of dials and other relevant controls by a factor 10 (or user defined) by pressing ctrl/alt/whatever while using them.

This would be very handy — I still use D|S3 for certain things that were never carried over to D|S4, and I can't help noticing if I use the mouse scroll wheel on a tall column of thumbnails in the Content Library, in D|S3 it scrolls in discrete steps, clunk-clunk-clunk. Just like I'm used to in every other program that allows mouse wheel scrolling.

In D|S4, however, I touch the scroll wheel and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee away it goes. I think this is built in to the way the D|S4 GUI works, I tried altering the mouse scroll behaviour, but that didn't help.

And FWIW, I have seen other posts from people wanting less sensitive scrolling in the parameter dials.

• 3dbug3dbug Posts: 67

So far, I have waited in vain for these features relatively modest, but very useful functions to be introduced:

(1) being able to eliminate (turn off) the influence of light(s) falling on objects that we don't want illuminated.

(2) a copy and paste (duplicate) function for anything in the scene.

Not having these functions is a real pain.

• I'm not sure what you mean by 1, but 2 is handled by the Edit>Duplicate sub-menu.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2015
    Taozen said:

GUI request:

This would be very handy — I still use D|S3 for certain things that were never carried over to D|S4, and I can't help noticing if I use the mouse scroll wheel on a tall column of thumbnails in the Content Library, in D|S3 it scrolls in discrete steps, clunk-clunk-clunk. Just like I'm used to in every other program that allows mouse wheel scrolling.

In D|S4, however, I touch the scroll wheel and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee away it goes. I think this is built in to the way the D|S4 GUI works, I tried altering the mouse scroll behaviour, but that didn't help.

Ha!!! Someone else who has the same pet hate as me!! This drives me nuts! One little touch of the mouse wheel sends me straight to the bottom of every content folder!

I honestly thought it was something to do with my mouse settings. I've never seen anyone else mention it. At least now I know it's not just me

mac

Edit - I remember complaining about the menus in early versions of DS4. I still have trouble with them because they seem to be ultra-sensitive. I'm always opening a menu, moving to a sub-menu, and seeing the entire menu disappear. It's no big deal - just another petty annoyance.

Post edited by maclean on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,742

I'm not sure what you mean by 1, but 2 is handled by the Edit>Duplicate sub-menu.

When using edit>duplicate, can I change the textures after duplication without altering the textures of the original item?

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Hexagon (new updated version), Look At My Hair and Marvelous Designer should be integrated for a full 3D Suite

Oh, Spanky, you are living in a dream world... can I come in?

I'm not sure what you mean by 1, but 2 is handled by the Edit>Duplicate sub-menu.

When using edit>duplicate, can I change the textures after duplication without altering the textures of the original item?

Yes, and not just textures. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I might be repeating myself, but I'd like some kind of parametric shading option. It would really make UVs a lot easier if we could have procedurally generated skin.

Imagine, for example, a 'base skin' texture, maybe some base colors with some simple pseudorandom variation in shades. Then freckle and mole generation. Then perhaps a micropores generation, with the ability to set weights in certain areas for smaller or larger pores.