Loading the body and head morphs for Gen 2 into Carrara?

Hi guys, forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the forum's advanced search function anymore - this way I cannot filter it down to Carrara-specific discussions even though I'm inside the Carrara forum.

I've been able to install the Genesis 2 Male to work fine from Carrara's Smart Content tab. But afet installing his Head and Body morphs in the DIM, I don't see anyting added. I looked under Smart Content but also cannot find any morph Injection buttons. Where is one supposed to find these?

The morphs feature under DIM's install tab, although there is not a check mark next to the files like under the Starter Essentials file. Not sure what this means? (see attached screen shot)

Thanks

Gen-2.jpg
800 x 638 - 122K

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Cobusp :)

With Genesis,. the morphs don't need to be injected,. just install the morphs and they'll all load into any new figure you add.

since carrara saves the model in the Scene,. any figures you've saved in .car scenes won't have the New morphs, you'll need to reload the figure to get all the new morphs.

you need to branch down to "Actor" or "genesis"  or head, etc for the parameters/sliders.

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Thank you very much. I'm glad that the solution is that simple!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

This brings up something I have wondered about. If you buy a 'new' or character set of morphs for a figure, eg G2... but have already created a G2 and saved it as a car file, will the 'new' set of morphs still show up in the parameters slider options that can be used on the car file figure in the scene?  Or will they only show up if you load a 'fresh' G2 from your Content/Smart Content.

Cobusp... I do notice that if you load a morph set from AFTER you put in your base figure from the Content area... it then shows up in the parameters sliders. Just put in the slot at the top the name of the morph, eg Gianni and you will see that head and body come up with a 1.00 setting.  That's good... as you can back off on some of the strength if he's looking too Gianni LOL!

Andy...I also love the Carrara parameters layout as I find you can 'sculpt' your character with other morphs to get interesting and unique results.My only beef is that for female figures, there is a pre-occupation with breasts and there are dozens of breast morphs that can give you hot air balloons. But the ones that are for a flatter chest look, eg natural, small, or no-breasts give terrible results.  If I put a teen body morph on the figure, I can fill it out better than I can do any reduction 'surgery'.  If anyone has a way of getting more realistic results, I'd love to know!  

yes Silene

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Hi Selene,

IIRC new morphs don't show up in saved characters, but I couldn't find an "older" one to test and verify my less than trustworthy memory.

For your other issue, the Natural Petite Morphs for V6 might work.

SileneUK said:

Cobusp... I do notice that if you load a morph set from AFTER you put in your base figure from the Content area... it then shows up in the parameters sliders. Just put in the slot at the top the name of the morph, eg Gianni and you will see that head and body come up with a 1.00 setting.  That's good... as you can back off on some of the strength if he's looking too Gianni LOL

Ok, so I installed the morphs for the Gen 2 male, and then relaoded him from the Smart Content tab in Carrara. If I understood 3DAge correctly, then they should all be imported withing the character. But no - still nothing (see attachment) I clicked down the hierarchy to the head, but no new morph parameters! 

SeleneUK, I'm sorry but I don't follow your description: could you elaborate please? What "slot" are you referring to?

Gen-morphs.jpg
    800 x 936 - 203K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited February 2018

Click on the "Genesis 2 male" name in the Scene tab to find your DAZ morphs.

When you get some Character morphs click on the "Actor" name to find the extra morphs.

In the Filter box labelled "1" you can enter a name eg body, and it will list the morphs containing the name body.

In the Root menu labelled "2" you can narrow down the search for the morphs by clicking on the sub-heading you are interested in.

Carrara M6 morphs 2.png
    2518 x 1044 - 517K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2018

Clicking on the "Head" label in the Scene tab will also uncover any additional morphs that have been assigned there.

Carrara M6 morphs 3.png
    2270 x 1037 - 446K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Bunyip02  yesheart  Silene

edited February 2018
    SileneUK said:

Thanks for your input, guys. Please look at my screen shot. Yes, I did what you suggested. I clicked on every body part imaginable from top to bottom - and the only time the Parameters Tab comes up (albeit empty), is when I click on "Actor". I have noticed a difference in the hierarchy structure when I compare mine to yours. Every time I load the genesis 2 male -- there is a double "Genesis 2 Base Male" right at the top! Do you see the second one directly underneath the first? Perhaps this is why nothing works for me! But then, what on earth would cause it to load like this??

Highlighted at the bottom in the Smart Content tab is the guy that is causing me so much grief!

This is just getting absurd...

Gen-2b.jpg
    800 x 667 - 112K
    Post edited by cobusp on
    edited February 2018
    cobusp said:
    SileneUK said:

Thanks for your input, guys. Please look at my screen shot. Yes, I did what you suggested. I clicked on every body part imaginable from top to bottom - and the only time the Parameters Tab comes up (albeit empty), is when I click on "Actor". I have noticed a difference in the hierarchy structure when I compare mine to yours. Every time I load the genesis 2 male -- there is a double "Genesis 2 Base Male" right at the top! Do you see the second one directly underneath the first? Perhaps this is why nothing works for me! But then, what on earth would cause it to load like this??

Highlighted at the bottom in the Smart Content tab is the guy that is causing me so much grief!

This is just getting absurd...

Hello cobusp

The morphs parameters should be showing up when you click on Genesis 2 Male.

You get the "Genesis 2 Base Male" if you load a new document first before you load Genesis 2 Male.

Instead of loading a new document I double click on the "Genesis 2M icon" in "My DAZ 3D Library" in the browser.

I loaded it up the same way as you and when I clicked on "Genesis 2 Male" in the Scene tab it came up with the Parameters tab.

If this is not working for you try uninstalling then reinstalling the G2M morphs to see if that helps.

Carrara G2M scene first.png
    2279 x 1042 - 339K
    edited February 2018

The "Actor" in the Scene Tab should also show up morphs in the Parameters tab depending upon what package you have downloaded.

Carrara G2M scene first 2.png
    2276 x 1040 - 325K
    edited February 2018

Hope you get the morphs working, they are worth it !!!!

Carrara G2M scene first 3.png
    2274 x 1037 - 949K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited February 2018

cobusp said:
    SileneUK said:

... I have noticed a difference in the hierarchy structure when I compare mine to yours. Every time I load the genesis 2 male -- there is a double "Genesis 2 Base Male" right at the top! Do you see the second one directly underneath the first? Perhaps this is why nothing works for me! But then, what on earth would cause it to load like this??

It is normal to have two levels of groups load for a single genesis figure.  I call the top level the supergroup.  The second level is the figure group.  Thus, when I load a G2 male, my instances tab shows the G2M supergroup and the G2M figure group.  The figure group should have the mesh (actor) and the bone skeleton (bodyparts).  The figure group will have morphs, but the location depends on who made it and where that person put it.  Most shaping morphs are under actor, but that is only by convention.  As Bunyip explained, they can be under a bodypart or in the figure group.  For example, I occasionally make my own morphs.  When I do, the morphloader function in Sudio asks me where I want to put it, meaning where will it be found by a user.  I don't have to put it as a full body morph but I usually do, and it shows under actor in Carrara.

​In the attached screenshot, see that I have the supergroup and the figure group just like your screenshot above.  However, when I select "actor", my morphs appear in the parameters tab.  There is something going on with your setup.  Looking at your DIM screenshot, I see that your G2M starter essentials is listed as installed.  Hmmmm.

bb01 morphs for G2M under actor.JPG
    1215 x 999 - 179K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2018

Can we do a test?  Do the morphs show up in Studio?  If so, when you save out of Studio as a DUF, does it load in Carara?

-I opened Studio and loaded G2M with enough clothes for the forum TOS.

-I opened the shaping pane and confirmed that there were a bunch of morphs available when I select G2M.

-I chose a morph (emaciated) and dialed it to 1.  The figure became emaciated.

-Export: I used File : Save As : Scene Subset to export the figure as a DUF file.  I saved it to a subfolder of the PRESETS folder so I could find it later.

-I started a new empty scene in Carrara and confirmed that the presets subfolder contained the DUF file that I saved out.

-I loaded the G2M DUF in Carrara, selected the "actor" level of G2M, and typed "emacia" in the parameters search function.  Emaciated exists and was brought in set to 1.

Can you do any or all of that?

bb02 start Studio and load G2M.JPG
    1609 x 929 - 162K
    bb03 pick any morph and dial to one emaciated.JPG
    1585 x 973 - 192K
    bb04 file save as scene subset choose location in presets folder.JPG
    1650 x 935 - 207K
    bb05 start new carrara scene and find saved duf in preset scene subfolder.JPG
    1359 x 885 - 113K
    bb06 emaciated load and is already at 1.JPG
    1782 x 1015 - 197K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2018

Just out of curiosity I looked at the G2M Evolution Body morphs and the G2M Evolution head morphs.

You can find them in your :- Computer Drive:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Evolution Body or Evolution Head

I unzipped a couple of the dsf files, then opened the unzipped file in Notepad.

After searching the body morph file the location was given as "Actor"

After searching the head morph file the location was undefined but in the "/Real World" group, which I located in my "Actor"

So according to the research those morphs should be showing up in the "Actor"

Check your file locations to see that they have installed correctly.

Carrara G2M Actor.png
    3241 x 1042 - 443K
    edited February 2018

Just out of curiosity - Part 2 - the plot thickens

Had a look at where the base morphs were installed via notepad, again location was not listed but the pose controls, expressions, and visemes can all be found in "Genesis 2 male"

cobusp I hope this does not confuse you, but you should have morph files in both "Genesis 2 male" and "Actor" parameter tabs.

In my internet travels I also picked up some items that had morphs in the "Head" parameter tabs, so look there as well.

Carrara G2M base morphs.png
    2270 x 1040 - 654K

Thank you all for your amazing help  -- and patience! I just want to check something -- which version of Carrara are you using? I use  8.5.1 Pro Build 19 (64)

cobusp said:

Thank you all for your amazing help  -- and patience! I just want to check something -- which version of Carrara are you using? I use  8.5.1 Pro Build 19 (64)

Yes, same here.

Did you see John Calder's note on installation issues?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3306391/#Comment_3306391

Seems like Carrara is not finding the installed morphs for you, and he reported something about the database, which is beyond my competency, so maybe it is helpful.

i will most definitely go have a look, thanks a lot Diomede!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

did the morphs installed to the same ds library as the genesis 2m starter essentials?

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head, Mistara.

Eventually the solution was quite simple: I decided to try and load the Gen 2 male from another root folder under the Smart Content tab.

As you know there are three root folders under this tab -- Files, Categories and Products (which categorizes all elements alphabetically). 

I had been trying all this time from the "Products" - G - Genesis 2 starter essentials section, and for some reason I still cannot explain, the Gen 2 male did  not update with its morphs from here. But, out of total desperation I tried loading him from the Categories/Figures/Male section and "Voilla!" - he loaded with all of his morphs!!

Literally months of frustration for such a stupid little glitch, but at least I know ( and perhaps someone else in future) will know what to do next time.

Thanks all for your valuable input

BTW - I think I noticed a plugin of somewhere to hide the bones when working with the Gen 2 character morphs. The constantly visible bones are very, very annoying when one tries to work with detailed morphs in the head.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there's a fenric plug in.  iirc finding the website through carrarcafe

the down side to hiding bones, can't select it in the preview window.

Ah, thank you!