The season of SSS

Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
edited May 2013 in The Commons

Well folks, it's Tom and Jerry here at DAZ Stadiums discussing strategy while waiting for the opening bouts of this seasons battles, and I have to say Tom, there have been some interesting developments. What do you think of all of this focus on SSS this season?

Well Jerry, I'm not sure what to make of it. SSS has been around for a long time, but now it seems everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to make it an important part of their strategy this season.

And do you think all of this attention is deserved Tom?

Well, I couldn't say Jerry. But I will say, with as much attention it is getting, I would hope the team I was on was using it some in their strategy if not their main focus.

It seems all of the front runners have a lot of focus on it in their overall strategy. Do you see any team that doesn't have it included in their strategy winning this season?

It's hard to say Jerry, it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it personally.

So Tom, why is it that SSS has become such an important play this season if it's been around for a while now?

That is a good question Jerry. It seems there are new methods for including SSS into the playbook that weren't available before and so now many more players can take advantage of it. Having said that, it is still an advanced strategy so not everyone will be able to take advantage of it to it's fullest. In fact, part of what might make the difference in this seasons outcome is how well a given team is able to implement it. A lot of planning and practice will probably end up playing a part in how successful each team is.

So do you anticipate everyone in the League trying these new strategies out Tom?

Well Jerry, I would guess most will play with it to some extent but some won't get their head around it this season. Eventually, some of what the lead teams end up doing will trickle down to the other teams. Heck, I imagine even the kids leagues will incorporate it to some extent eventually. It just seems like to strong of a player to not make it that far.

Well there you go folks, SSS... the play of the season, or so it looks starting out. Whether it lives up to it's hype or not we will only know at the end of the season, but at this point, I wouldn't want to be on the team that wasn't trying it out.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

[insert obligatory SSS image]

I do believe it's become far more of a feature thanks to advancements in SSS. With Luxus and Reality 3 now supporting SSS in Luxrender and the fantastic new shaders released with the latest Daz Studio it's also become a lot more accessible. SSS in 3Delight is nothing new, but the way these shaders implement it is very different to previous shader models, with figures getting a genuine translucency to them which was previously unsupported.

The future of rendering is now.

The_girls.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well Tom and Jerry it is simple why it has gone viral, Documentation and better implementation.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Szark said:
    Well Tom and Jerry it is simple why it has gone viral, Documentation and better implementation.

You nailed it. I could never untangle the web of US2 to use it to it's full potential. The Subsurface Shader Base's docs and implementation are what is needed to unlock SSS for Daz Studio. Thank you AoA!

Post edited by Dino Gramps on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Great image HoF. I love the expression/pose on the smallest girl off to the left. :)