DAZ fix your search feature

NosiferretNosiferret Posts: 330
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Do you have ANY idea at all at how frustrating it is to try and do a search for either a merchant at your store or an item and seeing the list pop up but when you select it, the message: There are no products matching the selection. But I'm sure you don't give a @#$% because it hasn't worked right in like over a year. Well, pffft to you too.

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Do you have ANY idea at all at how frustrating it is to try and do a search for either a merchant at your store or an item and seeing the list pop up but when you select it, the message: There are no products matching the selection. But I'm sure you don't give a @#$% because it hasn't worked right in like over a year. Well, pffft to you too.

Read the announcements. They're well aware of it and are working to fix it.
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

I would like to see some advance search options.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

There is a small arrow next to the search box that you can get to the advanced search feature.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited June 2012

(* begin snarky *)

Perhaps one of the advanced features would be to link to a competitor's store? It's having that effect anyway. :ohh:

(* end snarky *)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    There is a small arrow next to the search box that you can get to the advanced search feature.

I actually don't mean to be snarky, and I'm not as irked by it as the original poster, but that's not a user-friendly way for an interface to guide people to its advanced search function. How on earth are they supposed to know what the arrow means? Until I read your post just now, I thought it was just decoration pointing to the breadcrumbs line. It would be more helpful to put the actual text "Click for advanced search" or some such underneath the search box and have it visible at all times. Drop the breadcrumbs line slightly, so that it doesn't appear to be part of them, and then put "Advanced search? Click here!" or some such in that teeny type that is all the rage amongst web designers. (Teeny type: it is of the Devil! But I digress.)

The one thing I am irked about, and I hope they change soon, is that it would be good for the basic search -- at least in the store, if not in the forum -- to do an automatic AND rather than an automatic OR. Adding terms to a search should reduce the number found, not increase them. It's the way Google and most other search engines work, so it's what people have been guided to expect.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

I just happened upon it the one day. I agree it needs to be in text.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

The one thing I am irked about, and I hope they change soon, is that it would be good for the basic search -- at least in the store, if not in the forum -- to do an automatic AND rather than an automatic OR. Adding terms to a search should reduce the number found, not increase them. It's the way Google and most other search engines work, so it's what people have been guided to expect.

I agree completely

• JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

For sites with bad search engines (like the horrible one on Daz's old forums), I just use google. In this case, I would say "site:www.daz3d.com Search Terms Here", and it would only search Daz's site for whatever your search terms are.

To make it easier, you can just use [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.daz3d.com]this link and put in your search term after what's already in the search box, adding a space afterwards.

This is, of course, just a temporary fix until Daz manages to get its own search feature up to snuff, but at least it should work decently well.