I need to create coke fluid

otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
edited May 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hello everyone, last time I did a fluid like water, I am trying to give to it a look like coke, to have an idea of what I am trying to do take a look to the following renders:

I have placed a Coke can, and I thought that it would give a more impact if the can be placed like if it was dropped to the surface, and the residue was in front of the can, now how can I make this fluid like a real coke, with bubbles or froth.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Coke_Water_Drops02.jpg
900 x 480 - 158K
Post edited by otodomus on

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited May 2013

Die Cok?

Edited to clarify: you may want to rethink the placement of that can, unless you did it on purpose which may not be a bad idea...

Post edited by araneldon on
  • otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

Hi friend, yes is a diet coke can, and I want to make the fluid in the base as a coke fluid, and I am thinking in to place the can in another position, thats easy what is not is the color and bubbles in the fluid....

edited December 1969

oops! Sorry you may be right! As English is not my native tongue I did not noticed the misspelled words...! Will fix it....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Die Cok! :lol:

The liquid will need to be bit more opaque. The foam may be a bit more work. I have some ideas, but it may take until tomorrow before I can try them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880
    edited December 1969

often spilling my can of coke I can tell you it is much darker and indeed opaque, use refraction and relection rather than any alpha and only a small amount of transparency

edited December 1969

Well, just to clarify, the first intent was to create some water drops, and that is what I tried first, then added a coke can, thats what I thought that it would be fun if the water would be turned on coke, but I have no idea in how to make a realistic coke fluid.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

A new battle-cry?

edited December 1969

Ok, I have modified the color, but texture, transparency, reflection and other details I feel that I am far away of what I would like to see, and I have no idea what way to take....

Coke_Water_Drops03.jpg
    900 x 480 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

A new battle-cry?

The original image had the Coke can and spill strategically blocking the view of the "T" in Diet and the "E" in Coke. One of those innocent mistakes.

I hope otodomus doesn't take offense at some good natured kidding.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

A new battle-cry?

The original image had the Coke can and spill strategically blocking the view of the "T" in Diet and the "E" in Coke. One of those innocent mistakes.

I hope otodomus doesn't take offense at some good natured kidding.

Not at all! hehehe I feel like a dumb making that mistake.....

edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    Ok, I have modified the color, but texture, transparency, reflection and other details I feel that I am far away of what I would like to see, and I have no idea what way to take....

I don't think there would be much foam judging from my experiences with spills. The color is nearly there. Now maybe raise the shininess up a bit to make the edges on the highlights a bit harder.

Another idea would be to use a sphere primitive and apply a shader to it with the same settings as your main fluid, except more transparent. Scale it down to the size that you want for a bubble, and place it in the fluid sticking about half-way out. Duplicate and rescale the sphere as many times as needed. Might want to have them cluster together near the edges of the fluid.

Another way to get the bubbles is to use a replicator, though that would be more random, unless you made a distribution map.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited May 2013

This from the department of completely off-topic and possibly inappropriate information:

As a non-native English user I sometimes get the spellings wrong as well. I do enjoy the occasional cok, though I don't have much experience with the puddling of cok spillage as it tends to land on either fabrics or keyboards.

(Apologies for incorrect spelling that may result in unfortunate mental imagery.)

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    This from the department of completely off-topic and possibly inappropriate information:

As a non-native English user I sometimes get the spellings wrong as well. I do enjoy the occasional cok, though I don't have much experience with the puddling of cok spillage as it tends to land on either fabrics or keyboards.

(Apologies for incorrect spelling that may result in unfortunate mental imagery.)

That's what you get for drinking cok at the computer. ;-)

• edited December 1969

If you would like a less thick fluid for coke that is less opaque I would use DIET COKE!

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited May 2013

There are some nice reference inmages on google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=spilled+cola&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YY-kUbCvK-vU4QTk1oCgDQ&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=587

You could try no highlight (or very faint/small), less reddish color, more reflection (and some objects to reflect), adding some spheres for bubbles, adding some bump noise and playing with translucency maybe.

...and turn on caustics in render settings.

Post edited by Elele on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2013

make it almost black.

the liquid should almost be Not transparent,. and as it's colour comes from caramel (burnt sugar) it's very dark,
    depending on the surface it's on, and whether it's on the surface or in a container,. it can show a brown tint, but very dark.

Right now it's too reddish

did this a while ago
    Modelled, shaded, and rendered in Carrara

bottles__post.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 575K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Elele said:
    There are some nice reference inmages on google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=spilled+cola&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YY-kUbCvK-vU4QTk1oCgDQ&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=587

You could try no highlight (or very faint/small), less reddish color, more reflection (and some objects to reflect), adding some spheres for bubbles, adding some bump noise and playing with translucency maybe.

...and turn on caustics in render settings.

Thank you! Those images are very illustrative, and I am seeing that I am not so far as I thought, well still trying.....

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    make it almost black.

the liquid should almost be Not transparent,. and as it's colour comes from caramel (burnt sugar) it's very dark,
    depending on the surface it's on, and whether it's on the surface or in a container,. it can show a brown tint, but very dark.

did this a while ago

You modeled those in Carrara? Wow! I need to learn how to do it. Yes I am agree that in a container the color should be darker, but spilled on a white surface it turns out more coffe-colored I think, maybe something like this one:

coke_spill.jpg
    499 x 353 - 22K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    3DAGE said:
    make it almost black.

did this a while ago

You modeled those in Carrara? Wow! I need to learn how to do it. Yes I am agree that in a container the color should be darker, but spilled on a white surface it turns out more coffe-colored I think, maybe something like this one:

I will try something. BRB

Ringo

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

The Carrara download includes: Digital Painters Shaders

Part of the set has DP Liquids a Cognac shaders. Try using it. you may have to change some of the color setting to make it a bit darker.

Ringo Monfort

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited May 2013

Elele said:

Wow. Personally, I think this should be a contender for Post of the Year. And if there is no competition for Post of the Year we should start one and chose this as the winner.... :)

Someone ACTUALLY mentions using reference images to help render something so that it looks real. I'm very impressed. It's so rare here for anyone to mention reference images, but IMO it's an absolutely crucial step when developing decent shaders, lighting, and just about everything else.

Bravo. :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    make it almost black.

did this a while ago

excellent work if I may say, the glass refraction (is that the default value?) and the smooth reflection on the plane, above all. Great work

edited May 2013

OK This is not 100% what I want to create but following your tips is what I have done so far, comments?

Coke_Water_Drops06.jpg
    900 x 480 - 149K
    edited December 1969

Here another view of the same render:

Coke_Water_Drops07.jpg
    900 x 627 - 232K
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

It is looking pretty good.........perhaps if you enabled soft shadows or shadow buffer ∨ ambient light up a bit.
    The shadows look completely black on my monitor, which completely covers up the artwork on the shadowed part of the can & also the text below it.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Looking pretty good indeed, the bubbles are pretty big though.
    In the reference image, there is a lot of reflection on the fluid from the surroundings.
    Don't know what your scene looks like, but I guess it's empty outside the frame. You could try adding some objects outside the frame to reflect or use a hdri (or even just a sky might do)

edited December 1969

McGuiver said:
    It is looking pretty good.........perhaps if you enabled soft shadows or shadow buffer ∨ ambient light up a bit.
    The shadows look completely black on my monitor, which completely covers up the artwork on the shadowed part of the can & also the text below it.

Thank you my friend, I am actually using some wizard scenes, and I have no idea how to adjust the shadow reference, how can I do softness? Or buffer?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Elele said:
    Looking pretty good indeed, the bubbles are pretty big though.
    In the reference image, there is a lot of reflection on the fluid from the surroundings.
    Don't know what your scene looks like, but I guess it's empty outside the frame. You could try adding some objects outside the frame to reflect or use a hdri (or even just a sky might do)

Thanks! I will do that, and yes your right, bubbles are big for the can size...

edited May 2013

OK still following your recommendations, I have adjusted the environment lightning, to do brighter the scene, this has resulted in a softer shadows as I couldnt manipulate shadows perse, well here is the result:

Coke_Water_Drops08.jpg
    800 x 558 - 172K
    edited May 2013

otodomus said:
    OK still following your recommendations, I have adjusted the environment lightning, to do brighter the scene, this has resulted in a softer shadows as I couldnt manipulate shadows perse, well here is the result:

I meant to post before, but couldn't. The forums wouldn't let me for some reason.

Anyway, you can enable soft shadows in the effects tab of your light. The default light radius is fairly low, so if it's not giving you the results you want, you can increase the radius. The higher you go, the softer the shadow will become the further it extends from the source of the shadow.

If you use the pull-down menu, you'll notice something called a shadow buffer. This is a simulated soft shadow. It's faster, but it has it's limitations. For one thing, it doesn't respect alphas or transparencies.

Picture_1.png
    249 x 691 - 47K
    Post edited by evilproducer on