Daz3D to Maya plugin by 3DtoAll

Hi everyone, I bought the new plugin for Daz to Maya unfortuently it is very lax with formal documentation. I have tried both the developer of this plugin and Daz staff itself. All to no avail.

The user page for this plugin in at 3DtoAll is only screen shots without directions and when you see it on the Daz webiste it apppears to be able to bring your contols for the figure ( moprh tagets and blendshapes with it.

I have not found a way to do this. Not to mention that one is you have  a pose on the charcter in Daz it will not transfer either.

So does anyone have experince with this plugin they can share???  Before I chuck this plugin??

Cheers

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited January 2018

Have you tried the manual?

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/47879/daztomaya_how_to_install.pdf

It's linked to from the product page under "Readme".

Also, there's already a thread in the forum which perhaps alread answered your questions:

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • alan_26b874c1caalan_26b874c1ca Posts: 15
    edited April 2018

Has anyone had much success with this plugin.???

I can only bring in a "T" pose and not the native "A" pose in Daz .

No morph tagets, blendshapes.

Can't bring in a figure that has been tweaked  in Daz , from regular pose to a skinny or fat pose.

Absoluetly nothing that has been posed to sit , lean, body style  etc.

Won't bring the figure into an open file in Maya, always needs to open a new file. So you can't bring the figure into a scene you have already created.

You can't bring in a resixed figure from Daz to Maya either.

So if anyone can enlighten my as to make this plugin useful , I currently think it stinks.

cheers

Post edited by alan_26b874c1ca on
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

I'm having different issues than you, but my character does import with the applied morphs I have. My problem is that it's just enormous in size.

I can definitely say you do need to save it as a new scene as a fresh port. Once it's saved you can import it into existing scenes in Maya using the import dialogue. 

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited April 2018

This is because Daz only exports fbx figures in the T-pose.  The script imports whatever Daz exports.

Then you are doing something wrong.   Check your fbx export options for morphs.

Can't bring in a figure that has been tweaked  in Daz , from regular pose to a skinny or fat pose.

Again, yes you can, unless your fbx export setup isn't set up to bake those morphs to the figure.

This is another limitation of Daz fbx export features.  If you want to export poses, you should use .dae or .obj export.

Won't bring the figure into an open file in Maya, always needs to open a new file. So you can't bring the figure into a scene you have already created.

Simply import your Daz figure to a new scene, save the scene, and bring that scene in wherever you need it.

Once again, that's because Daz doesn't allow this with fbx format.  In short, the DaztoMaya script, like most scripts, only does what you can do yourself, but faster.  If Daz or Maya doesn't allow you do it manually, there is not much a script is going to do for you.  It doesn't work magic.  This script is mainly for people who have no experience in setting up a character in Maya.  If you are an experienced Maya user, you should probably skip DaztoMaya.

Post edited by drzap on
  • Merged threads

• drzap said:

This is because Daz only exports fbx figures in the T-pose.  The script imports whatever Daz exports.

Then you are doing something wrong.   Check your fbx export options for morphs.

Again, yes you can, unless your fbx export setup isn't set up to bake those morphs to the figure.

This is another limitation of Daz fbx export features.  If you want to export poses, you should use .dae or .obj export.

Simply import your Daz figure to a new scene, save the scene, and bring that scene in wherever you need it.

Once again, that's because Daz doesn't allow this with fbx format.  TheIn short, the DaztoMaya script, like most scripts, only does what you can do yourself, but faster.  If Daz or Maya doesn't allow you do it manually, there is not much a script is going to do for you.  It doesn't work magic.  This script is mainly for people who have no experience in setting up a character in Maya.  If you are an experienced Maya user, you should probably skip DaztoMaya.

Just to note I am not talking about fbx, rather the plugin   "Daz to Maya "   the fbx import and expourt does not support Human IK in Maya .

As the former QA on FBX at Autodesk I am very familiar with the FBX. I am using the plugin From  3D To All.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited April 2018
    drzap said:

"Just to note I am not talking about fbx, rather the plugin   "Daz to Maya "   the fbx import and expourt does not support Human IK in Maya .

As the former QA on FBX at Autodesk I am very familiar with the FBX. I am using the plugin From  3D To All."

So you worked for Autodesk on FBX and you don't recognize that this script (not plugin) just uses the FBX export features of Daz Studio and characterizes the figure in Maya?  I'm confused.  Almost every problem you had was related to how Daz Studio handles FBX export.  When I was a very beginner in 3D (last year), this script allowed me to have a clue about using Daz figures outside of DS.  Now that I am familiar with setting up characters in Maya, and I use the fbx import all the time to set up HIK rigged figures for animation.  It's just an automation tool.  Here is one quirk I noted:  If you are importing FBX mocap, depending on the joint setup of the mocap, it can cause problems with fbx import function in Maya.  This might be a bug in Maya 2017 or just a quirk in my particular setup.  I think its because after retargeting, the HIK settings are not where the script expects them to be. If I have been using mocap in my working session (almost every day), then I restart Maya before I import an fbx figure or use DaztoMaya.

Post edited by drzap on
  • Again I am not using fbx script! Period , end of story.

I paid for a plugin that is a of little use and I am asking if anyone else has had any success with it. 

So if you can add to the success of the plugin great if not , please allow someone else to provide info on the plugin , Not fbx script!

So good to note you where a beginner last year.

I don't use Daz persay, I have a unique situation that requires a simpler turn around time frame.

Meaning the client dosen't really have enought money to go forward , so I am trying to find a quick solution.

If I have to use the fbx workflow , there is not enough money to warrent the effort.

I am looking for a totoally different workflow.

• Just found another interesting bug.

If you use the script in Daz for the "plugin" or when you have Maya open and run the script for the " plugin" and it brings into the scene your character.

All the Human IK controls will be in place and working. This is great for doing a quick pose in Maya ( I prefer to do it this way )   .

When you have a pose you like and select your character's  geo and use the GoZ script to send the character over to zBrush all is great.

The character will be in zBrush now.

Except now your character in Maya will no longer be skinned to the Human IK control system.

Quick fix is to use the undo button a few times before you selected the geo to be exported into zbrush.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

"I paid for a plugin that is a of little use and I am asking if anyone else 

has had any success with it."

If you purchased  it  within the last 30 Days get a refund from Daz.

"I don't use Daz persay, I have a unique situation that requires a simpler 

turn around time frame.
    Meaning the client dosen't really have enought money to go forward , so I 

am trying to find a quick solution."

But you have not clearly descibed your unique situation
    So asking about others "success" with the plugin is pointless unless they are trying to acheive the exact outcome you are...which remains a mystery to anyone reading this thread thus far.

As DrZap already stated,this "plugin" is just a convenient bit of Daz/MEL script to automate the the set up of a Human IK control rig  

on a FBX imported Daz genesis Figure for animation  in Maya.

Experienced Maya animators already Do this themselves with FBX rigs 

from outside sources such as the ones sold on Turbosquid and other places.

You appear to have bid on a commercial job involving the use of a Daz 

genesis figure with no workflow plan for how to transfer a Daz genesis 

model to Maya for your specific purposes( whatever they may be)

You  Say you do not want to use FBX at all.

There are other ways to get a Daz figure into Maya
    (obj ,Alembic etc)
    But none are particularly given to a "quick turnaround"
    particularly if you need it in a posable/animatable state in Maya.