Where do I find environment maps for daz?

You litteraly find NOTHING if you google. I'm looking for a city skyline environment map. Are there some you can buy on this site or does someone know another site? If there are, what do I have to look for? I tried "environment texture", "environment map", "skybox", "dome"... nothing. I just want something for the outside of an apartment window!

Comments

• You just need a regular HDRI.

• davegvdavegv Posts: 164
  • davegvdavegv Posts: 164
    edited January 2018

You just need a regular HDRI.

What is a "Regular HDRI"  Richard ?

Post edited by davegv on
  • davegv said:

Thanks a lot!

• davegv said:

You just need a regular HDRI.

What is a "Regular HDRI"  Richard ?

An HDRI environment image, it's nothing specifically DS (at least for Iray, I think uberEnvironment for 3Delight requires a particular projection mode but still any HDRI that has that should work).

• Maybe someone can help me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I load a panaromic image that I tried normal and a reedited hdr version through PS, into my environment map. Problem I keep having is that the images are way too big. My settings were set to: dome and scene/ finite sphere (also tried all other options)/ scaling- 10 from 100. Is there no way to make the image fit properly? Thank you for any help.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Give these places a look.  High quality & free.

HDRI Haven

NoEmotion HDRs

• Maybe someone can help me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I load a panaromic image that I tried normal and a reedited hdr version through PS, into my environment map. Problem I keep having is that the images are way too big. My settings were set to: dome and scene/ finite sphere (also tried all other options)/ scaling- 10 from 100. Is there no way to make the image fit properly? Thank you for any help.

If you mean you see only a segment of the image, that's expected - it's projected onto a sphere that encloses the scene.

• ATLPRATLPR Posts: 147
    davegv said:

THANK YOU davegv,

I just downloaded a couple from noemotionhdrs, and hdrihaven but the hdrvault is a weird link (not sure about that one).

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I have pretty much all of hdrihaven's images and use them all the time.

The one thing I'm missing is a shot of a city skyline. If anyone sees an hdr of that I'd love to get it.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@kenshaw011267 "The one thing I'm missing is a shot of a city skyline"

Have you seen this one? https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=shanghai_bund

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited May 2020

Maybe someone can help me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I load a panaromic image that I tried normal and a reedited hdr version through PS, into my environment map. Problem I keep having is that the images are way too big. My settings were set to: dome and scene/ finite sphere (also tried all other options)/ scaling- 10 from 100. Is there no way to make the image fit properly? Thank you for any help.

If it is panoramic, it may not be configured to fit onto a sphere. Converting it to have HDR qualities in Photoshop will not give it the necessary size ratios and image distortion of HDRIs shot or created specifically to map onto a sphere.

If you look at the HDRI Haven images, for example, you will see that they have image "stretch" distortions, and that they all (that I've seen) are in a size width-to-height ratio of 360:180, which is 2:1. That is often expressed by a "k" (thousands) number that represents the number of pixels wide the image is. See attached screen shot from HDRI Haven. The lower "k" number versions of an HDRI image are commonly used when the HDRI is for lighting only, not for having visible ("Draw Dome: Off" in Daz Render settings). That saves precious resources.

So if your panoramic image has a higher width-to-height ratio than 2:1, you may need to use that on a Daz backdrop rather than trying to wrap it to the inside of the dome.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.43.14 AM.png
    426 x 305 - 23K
    Post edited by mavante on