Organizing browser window

Any idea how to get my content on top of the Objects window tab? When I add a new folder, it is always at the bottom. There must be some kind of file that lists this order.

I know there is a My Objects folder where I can store my content. But as far as I know, I cannot create sub folders. And I prefer to solve the other option.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi!

I have all my content in "my objects" folder wich include the Carrara content on my disc "E" (deleted the original on disc C.)

It's the same for my shaders, my clips, my scenes,  but take care to move the .car files only (for ex. a .cbr file don't appears if it is moved from it's original place.)

In my Objects content, like the other files, you can make any subfolders you want.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there are files you could manually edit.

we had a thread on it in this forum somewhere >.< 

under the add folder button, there's an option to create index, it will sort alphabetically.

also you could add any folder you want to objects. select the tab. use the add folder button to specify the path,
    it will ask you what type of folder, specify it is an obj folder

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

Thanks for pointing that out Dudu. I thought sub folders was not possible, because adding a new folder and "Update Folder" does nothing. Restarting Carrara did the trick.

Because I do not want to move my content, I tried something else.  For the ones who want this. I made shortcut of my Carrara object folder (In Windows right click). Cut and paste this to My Objects folder. This works perfect. So now I have my content on top without moving my files.

Mistara: For me the Create Index does not do anything. I know I can add extra folders, but then they are at the bottom.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2018

there's another text file to edit.  lookin for the old thread, wasn't all that long ago

here it was

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2683041

Post edited by Mistara on

Found it. Understand the index file, but does not help me. The other file from the other thread is helpful. Thanks.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    Pjotter said:

Because I do not want to move my content, I tried something else.  For the ones who want this. I made shortcut of my Carrara object folder (In Windows right click). Cut and paste this to My Objects folder. This works perfect. So now I have my content on top without moving my files.

You're kidding! Holy smokes I have to try this! Who'da thunk it would work?!!! Thanks for laying down the groundwork! yes

So you just made a shortcut to the Program Files > Carrara > Presets > Objects location and put that shortcut in the MyDocs > Daz3d > Carrara 8.5 > My Presets > My Objects folder? 

Close. I have one main folder with all my data files (for backup).

One folder in my main data folder is Carrara.

Inside the Carrara folder I have folders like Objects, Clips.

For the Carrara objects folder I create a shortcut.

I cut and paste this one in My Objects folder. (Same for clips in the My Clips folder).

Then it shows up in My Objects folder. Was a surprise to me too, but it works perfect.

You have to restart Carrara, otherwise it doesn't show. "Update" folder does not seem to work.

Or explained in a different way: If you want to put your content in the My Object / My Clips, etc folders you have two options now. Put all your content in those folders, or put shortcuts to your content in those folders.

If you have problems finding DS content (like I do), probably you can add those shortcuts also in the mentioned folders.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

my PC is littered with shortcuts not just in Carrara, this works in other softwares too.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

there's no need to create shortcuts,.

ANY folder on any drive can be added to carrara's browser,. depending on what "type" of carrara files are inside the folder,. EG: Scenes/objects/ clips/ shaders etc..

you'll need to select the appropriate browser section to add the folder/s to. EG: shader files would be added to the shaders section,.

Carrara will normally ask you what type of Carrara files are contained in the folder when you add it to the browser.

For "non carrara content" such as Poser or DS,.you should use..  Add Runtime, or Add Library options, which will add the appropriate DS Library or Poser Runtime folder structure, so that carrara presents you with a list of the content types in that Runtime/Library   EG: Figures/Props/Hair/Poses etc.

To find the real physical location of any installed Daz3d content,. Use DIM (right click any installed product and select "show installed files")

once you know where the file is installed, it's easier to locate ,.

It's also very easy to get to a point where you have so many installed products that it becoms much harder/slower to locate the products you use regularly.

DIM can be a very useful way to manage your installed products, or remove junk/freebie stuff you're not using to free up space and remove clutter.

The problem with "Add Folder" is, it is always at the bottom of the browser window. This is the reason why I started this thread. I wanted to change the order of folders in my Carrara browser so my content would be on top. This is not easy. Because of the answer of Dudu and trying things out, I got a very good working solution, by using shortcuts to my content. Perfect for me. Easy access and leaving my content were it was.