Does Poser Have A Place In A Carrara Animation Workflow?

Yes.  I have said that Carrara is more capable than Poser for large scenes with many props, lights, etc., and I think that is still true.  But for some features, Poser offers advantages.  ERC is a good example.  Many Poser format models have ERC features (one moving element controls other moving elements) that I can't get to work in Carrara.  Many great vendors like Coflek-Gnorg provide very convincing motions using ERC.  I recently upgraded to Poser Pro 11 and am finding it very useful, more so than I recalled.  Mostly for a smaller scene with a nifty Poser format ERC model that fits into a larger Carrara scene (using the same model with no ERC) ... 

Some of the Poser lighting/FX is similar, I typically have to redo all that in Carrara, but for a small scene insert, just use Poser.   

cool

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

well I don't do animation but if you can tell me how to export a collada or fbx file out of Carrara and get it to work in Poser I'd be happy :)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    head wax said:

well I don't do animation but if you can tell me how to export a collada or fbx file out of Carrara and get it to work in Poser I'd be happy :)

I have the same frustration, no luck with either fbx or collada.  A "Tower of Babel" that seems to be ever expanding. 

My animation approach is to use Poser to generate short animation scenes that can be added to Carrara short animation scenes in the video editor.  Using a common video format like wmv or avi.  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Steve K said:
    head wax said:

I have the same frustration, no luck with either fbx or collada.  A "Tower of Babel" that seems to be ever expanding. 

My animation approach is to use Poser to generate short animation scenes that can be added to Carrara short animation scenes in the video editor.  Using a common video format like wmv or avi.  

Thanks Steve :)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Fenrics BVH/PZ2 exporter is the best way to transfer animation from carrara to poser. (or other programs)

Fenrics ERC plugin for carrara is also worth having,. although you can animate the ERC stuff in poser,.. then save as PZ2,.. to use in carrara.

If you're rendering animations from different programs and combining those in a video editor,..  Use Image Sequences,.rather than video formats like AVI

An image sequence will retain the best quality until you're compositing is done,.. and you can finally export to a video format.

Hope that makes some sense :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi,
    As I often said it on the Carrrarators forum, I often use  Poser as plugin for Carrara for animations but especially for the simulation of dynamic clothes for which I use the script “Dyn2Morph” to export the sequence to Carrara (never tried a hair sim...).
    For the characters animations , it's especially the walkDesigner which interests me and the importation of the “Animate” clips of DS but I prefer to animate into Carrara because of its timeline much easier to work than in Poser.
    I consider that Poser is a professional version of DAZ Studio but not very friendly to build a complete scene.

3DAGE, Dudu - Good comments.  I agree on Poser being somewhere between DAZ Studio and Carrara.  

I started this discussion because I just fired up a new computer with the fastest ... everything.  As always, I dreaded the loading of all my software into Win10, and I was not disappointed.  Poser Pro 11 physical product was fine, but then it said it needed an update plus a lot of content downloaded, about 7 GB in about 9 pieces.  Its Download Manager crapped out numerous times saying "too many errors".  I finally got some help from Smith Micro and got it all installed.  Particle Illusion had been sold (again), so I had to get new registration information, which they did after some convincing (my order was 8 years ago, several owners back).  The capper was E-on software's Vue, who managed to have their entire website deep sixed, so no "Activation Code" available online.  After numerous emails and screenshots with Support, who said they were having system problems (har) with many customers, I finally got my Activation Code.  

On the bright side, Win10 and Carrara look pretty good.  The moral of the story is:  If you see anything looking like a serial number, installation code, order number, activation code, mother's social security number, secret handshake ... keep a record.  cheeky

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Steve K, so your'e also a Particle Illusion user? And its been sold now to E- on!? Noooo. Can you, after your nightmare experience getting an activation code, give me advice on what to do to prevent the same frustration if I need to reinstall an reactivate PI?

cobusp said:

Steve K, so your'e also a Particle Illusion user? And its been sold now to E- on!? Noooo. Can you, after your nightmare experience getting an activation code, give me advice on what to do to prevent the same frustration if I need to reinstall an reactivate PI?

No, not E-on, but BorisFX.  I sent the Wondertouch info for Particle Illusion I had from way back to:

[email protected]

They sent me a new serial number.

The "Activation Code" problem was with Vue, from E-on Software, partly due to problems on their end (wiped out website, system problems with many users asking for manual codes)

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Thank you - I am so glad I noticed your initial post on this!

cobusp said:

Thank you - I am so glad I noticed your initial post on this!

You're quite welcome, I hope it helps if you need it.  And BTW, Particle Illusion is one of my favorite programs, a stand-alone FX program that works with any still or video.  I enter the 48HFP contest which requires a five minute video in two days, an PI renders in real time (really!), so a big plus for such a tight schedule.  Here is one I did a while back, not a great video but it does show how PI can be used in a handful of scenes.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

FWIW, I believe Eon/Vue got seriously hacked and have to rebuild their site from the base up (I got a note to this effect from them), so I would consider their situation to be part of a much bigger nightmare for them than an indication of general incompetence or bad customer service. I'm sure it didn't make it any easier for SteveK, but it's always nice to know the back story.

I generally bailed on vue (got 'complete' a good while back - decent SW, didn't think much of their node-locked content or CC-only auto-pay subscription models (you never know when a company might get hacked... :), but when I learned that alpha passes are only available on their Xtreme ($$) offering... No thanks.)

To the original post - I also see Poser as a very capable plugin to the tools I like (Cararra/DS/Bryce), and a good tool to have in a variety of workflow situations (conversion, some animation/dynamics, etc.). Sometimes I'm able to make something useful by loading it into Poser and re-saving it in the 'same' format, and the result will then load in some other more 'testy' application. I also like what I've seen of the toon/outline update in v11 - but haven't explored it yet.

cheers,

--ms

mindsong said:

FWIW, I believe Eon/Vue got seriously hacked and have to rebuild their site from the base up (I got a note to this effect from them), so I would consider their situation to be part of a much bigger nightmare for them than an indication of general incompetence or bad customer service. I'm sure it didn't make it any easier for SteveK, but it's always nice to know the back story.

Yes, the Vue Forum at Renderosity has been tracking the problem, apparently there have been updates on Facebook from the company.  And finally the management sent out an email ...

mindsong said:

I generally bailed on vue (got 'complete' a good while back - decent SW, didn't think much of their node-locked content or CC-only auto-pay subscription models (you never know when a company might get hacked... :), but when I learned that alpha passes are only available on their Xtreme ($$) offering... No thanks.)

I also use Vue Complete since the features in the more expensive versions didn't interest me.  The main attraction for me has been a couple of content providers at Cornucopia3D.com, Luigi Marini with vast complex environments for ~$12, and Peter Pohle with great vehicles and other models.  Unfortunately the latter has disappeared from the site ... 

mindsong said:

To the original post - I also see Poser as a very capable plugin to the tools I like (Cararra/DS/Bryce), and a good tool to have in a variety of workflow situations (conversion, some animation/dynamics, etc.). Sometimes I'm able to make something useful by loading it into Poser and re-saving it in the 'same' format, and the result will then load in some other more 'testy' application. I also like what I've seen of the toon/outline update in v11 - but haven't explored it yet.

cheers,

--ms

Right, I need to check out th toon feature, especially for animation.  The previous versions were not too impressive.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

need poser to save the .pmd binary morphs into the cr2.