solved

13»

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Forum posts don't reflect at all the PM'ing and emailing between those who post and those who have questions or comments to the poster. Silence on the forum doesn't mean they aren't communicating or participating.

For each poster- the posts vary in percentages for opinions, helping others, and questions-so the numbers don't mean a thing. In my art studio thread, those are helping posts. Elsewhere, they are HELP ME! I'll be an ADDICT before I ever get to ambient occlusion....

And number of forum posts- who is to judge someone's totals? It's apples and oranges in people's situations so far as if it's a hobby, or a career, or a project they are working on, or if you work full time or are retired, or if your health limits what you can do otherwise... or.... or.....
    You get the gist. My apples don't give me the right to judge your oranges, and vice versa. Post how often you want (or NOT), keep it pleasant, ask for help when you need it, help when you can, and just be glad we live in countries that don't shut down forums and sites. :)

If you're shy, go ahead, PM me. I'll ask for you! :) (Because you can bet I probably don't know EITHER)

I love everyone's opinion voiced so far, it's nice we can have discourse on topics like this. Thanks OP!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

tsarist said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I sure hope that is not the case. Although last year (before the big change) they were giving out special vouchers only on the FB site, not the main store/forums site.

Even my UC case worker recommends I use social networking as part of my job search. Sorry all the extra baggage involved isn't worth it.

And isn't that the truth!!

Yeah. I have been steering clear of Social media too. I read some scary stuff employers do with your social media information. So, unless you're "Boring Mr. Corporate" probably best not to get involved with it.

Saying that, there was a report a while back about how a company recruiter was told to ignore any applicants who didn't have an accessible Facebook account. Social media is getting scary now.
    ...I know. It's just one more chink in one's privacy.

There are a number of sites I now steer clear of that are so integrated with one or more of the social media services that even my filters don't always catch it. One job search site I was on almost caused me to end up with a Twitter account as it was cleverly disguised as an account sign up for their site. Fortunately I caught it in time when I saw the Twitter site address show up in the status bar of my browser and cancelled out. That site is now blacklisted.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Not to mention if you had anything on FB after the bombing during the Boston Marathon, DHS sucked it up along with everything else for how ever much time either side of the event the warrant granted.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Makes me glad I rarely ever visit my facebook.. created it due to friends asking me to join, but I jsut don't like that place. Log in about once a month or if someone speciafically ask me too :)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I sure hope that is not the case. Although last year (before the big change) they were giving out special vouchers only on the FB site, not the main store/forums site.

Even my UC case worker recommends I use social networking as part of my job search. Sorry all the extra baggage involved isn't worth it.

Yeah. I have been steering clear of Social media too. I read some scary stuff employers do with your social media information. So, unless you're "Boring Mr. Corporate" probably best not to get involved with it.

Saying that, there was a report a while back about how a company recruiter was told to ignore any applicants who didn't have an accessible Facebook account. Social media is getting scary now.

These recruiters also expect you Facebook to be "professional." I THOUGHT the point of Facebook and other social media was to be YOURSELF with your friends and family.

To make things worse now, many companies are discriminating against people who don't have a blog. I was reading how recruiters will toss your application if you don't blog about your industry.

This whole thing has gotten out of hand.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    tsarist said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

These recruiters also expect you Facebook to be "professional." I THOUGHT the point of Facebook and other social media was to be YOURSELF with your friends and family.

To make things worse now, many companies are discriminating against people who don't have a blog. I was reading how recruiters will toss your application if you don't blog about your industry.

This whole thing has gotten out of hand.

Well, I don't have the time or the inclination to bother with Facebook and I avoid blogs whenever possible (which is about 99% of the time). Recruiters have to be very careful about asking for things like Facebook and Blogs. Even the implication that you are being discriminated against because you don't do one or the other or both can cause them major headaches with not only their State Departments of Labor but with the US Dept of Labor. Headaches which often end up costing them money which the State and the Feds would be more than happy to get their hands on.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Well, I don't have the time or the inclination to bother with Facebook and I avoid blogs whenever possible (which is about 99% of the time). Recruiters have to be very careful about asking for things like Facebook and Blogs. Even the implication that you are being discriminated against because you don't do one or the other or both can cause them major headaches with not only their State Departments of Labor but with the US Dept of Labor. Headaches which often end up costing them money which the State and the Feds would be more than happy to get their hands on.

Unfortunately, US law only protects things like discrimination based on Gender, Nat'l origin, Race, Age, Height, Disability and the like. They can discriminate most other ways. A while back, companies were discriminating against the unemployed. The most I saw was Pres Obama saying "don't do that." The companies laughed and kept on discriminating.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited May 2013

Lets stray away from the political discussion please :-)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, they might read my posts here as a 'blog', and see if they can wrap their head around the stupid stuff I post.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,335
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Lets stray away from the political discussion please :-)

Since when are jobs, blogs, and social media political?

I was trying to answer a question and the only way was to say what the law said.

Now I remember why I don't post over here much.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited December 1969

Nowhere did I say anybody did anything wrong. It was more a statement to stay away from the topic before it got out of hand and had to be removed.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

...comment removed voluntarily.

Post edited by kyoto kid on