Install Manager Can't Install or Uninstall

flyinhighflyinhigh Posts: 5

Hello! This is my first post here! I've first used Daz3D in 2015, I used it for like 3 months and then I stopped, yesterday I started using it again, and I was asked to upgrade my IM from 1.1.0.41 to 1.1.0.72, and so I successfully did! After that, it asked me to upgrade my Daz3D from 4.5 to 4.10, so I downloaded everything and proceeded to install it. But, surprisingly, the installation failed, it didn't give any reason, it just failed. After double checking the directories, I tried again, I even deleted the package and downloaded it again, but no success.

So I did a manual install of the 4.10 version, and it worked! But again, IM didn't recognize the change, and it still suggested the 4.10 upgrade, so I just ignored it.

When I opened Daz3D 4.10, though, it said that PostgreSQL wasn't working, so I closed it, and tried to uninstall it through IM too, and again, it didn't work, I cliked in uninstall, it did its thing, but after refreshing IM, PostgreSQL just showed up as installed again as if I hadn't done anything. So I proceeded with a manual uninstall. Now, I can't install it again, because IM still recognizes it as installed, even though its path doesn't even exist in "C:\ProgramData" anymore.

Now, I'm stuck. I found out PostgreSQL isn't the only problem, apparently Install Manager can't install or uninstall anything! Nothing at all! It just doesn't work. It fails to recognize any changes I make. I've already tried downgrading it, reinstalling it, deleting the whole Daz3D folder from AppData, I even deleted Daz3D completely (I just left my library untouched), but nothing worked, I'm really stuck!

Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 10, 64-bit.

Thank you so much!

Post edited by flyinhigh on

Comments

• It sounds as if there may be a permissions issue with your Manifesst folder, which is what DIM uses to track its installed content and applications (DIM doesn't knwow hat you isntalled manually, which is why it isn't seeing DS as now updated). Had you in the past run DIM as administrator? That can end up with folders having the wrong permissions. You may also have issues if you are using backed-up data from a previous machine/OS install. You may also need to look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard and if the feature is on add DIM, PostgreSQL and DS to its list of allowed applications.

• It sounds as if there may be a permissions issue with your Manifesst folder, which is what DIM uses to track its installed content and applications (DIM doesn't knwow hat you isntalled manually, which is why it isn't seeing DS as now updated). Had you in the past run DIM as administrator? That can end up with folders having the wrong permissions. You may also have issues if you are using backed-up data from a previous machine/OS install. You may also need to look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard and if the feature is on add DIM, PostgreSQL and DS to its list of allowed applications.

Bingo! I've runned it as adminstrator, yes! And I've already had permission issues with other programs in the past! It makes sense, I hadn't thought of that!!! To what folders should I fix the permissions? And what kind of permissions are we talking about? Read-only issues? Or Full Control to an specific user? 

Thank you again!

• As I recall the default path, in the Public Documents folder, is Daz Install Manager/Manifests (though you should check the Downloads folder too). I have read/write permission on my (non-default) folder which seems to be enough.

• flyinhighflyinhigh Posts: 5
    edited January 2018

I've been messing with permissions for the past few hours and nothing seems to work. Permissions seems to be fine now, I've even deleted everything again and reinstalled IM, without running it as administrator, but still the same thing. And I did run it as administrator later on and, nothing... Guess I'll just pass on PostgreSQL and do a manual install of Daz3D 4.10, since that works fine! That's very upsetting, I have no idea of what's going so wrong!

Here's a log from one of my last attempts:

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.1.0.72 starting +++++++++++++++++OS bits: 64Platform bits: 32Qt Version: 4.8.7Locale: en_USRunning on Windows Unknown, Build 9200, No Service Pack InstalledPhysical Memory:	Total: 3.9 GB (4294967295)	Avail: 3.9 GB (4294967295)Virtual Memory:	Total: 3.9 GB (4294836224)	Avail: 3.7 GB (4051841024)Current Memory Usage: 27%Current DateTime:	Loc: Sat Jan 20 00:34:59 2018	UTC: Sat Jan 20 02:34:59 2018Application Data:	Location = C:/Users/Rodrigo Brambilla/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/InstallManager	Disk Total: 232.1 GB (249218199552)	Disk Avail: 85.9 GB (92256350208)Reading dzInstall.iniCannot locate dzInstall.iniCurrent Account: AccountCurrent Download Path:	Location = C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads	Disk Total: 232.1 GB (249218199552)	Disk Avail: 85.9 GB (92256350208)Current Content Install Path:	Location = E:/My DAZ 3D Library	Disk Total: 2.7 TB (3000456179712)	Disk Avail: 609.9 GB (654910488576)Current 64-bit Software Install Path:	Location = E:/Program Files	Disk Total: 2.7 TB (3000456179712)	Disk Avail: 609.9 GB (654910488576)Current 32-bit Software Install Path:	Location = E:/Program Files (x86)	Disk Total: 2.7 TB (3000456179712)	Disk Avail: 609.9 GB (654910488576)WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(38): DB Register Open error: Cannot establish VC_Connection with remote server. Make sure the server address and port number are correct.WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(38): DB Register Open error: Cannot establish VC_Connection with remote server. Make sure the server address and port number are correct.Error connecting to CMSCurrent Account: AccountProcessed 25 products with 72 unique product downloadsInstalling product : DAZ Studio 4.10 (Win 64-bit)WARNING: Killed Process WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.Product installation failed : DAZ Studio 4.10 (Win 64-bit)Install Queue finished in 1 min 0.4 sec.Installing product : DAZ Studio 4.10 (Win 64-bit)WARNING: Killed Process WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.Product installation failed : DAZ Studio 4.10 (Win 64-bit)Install Queue finished in 1 min 0.4 sec.User Data Refresh: Elapsed Time 0 sec 2 msecProcessed 25 products with 72 unique product downloadsCurrent 64-bit Software Install Path:	Location = E:/Program Files (x86)	Disk Total: 2.7 TB (3000456179712)	Disk Avail: 609.9 GB (654910488576)Saving Account Settings: AccountSaving Account Settings: AccountInstalling product : PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)WARNING: Killed Process WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.Product installation failed : PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)Install Queue finished in 1 min 1.1 sec.Saving Account Settings: Account--------------- Install Manager exited ------------------

Thank you for your help anyway, I really appreciate it!

Post edited by flyinhigh on
  • Don't run a adminsitrator. That is never required (if elevated privileges are required you wil be asked).

It might be better to make a copy of the Public Documents Install manager folder, then remove the original and try starting over (just downloaing PostgreSQL and Daz Studio to see if they will then install).

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

@RichardHaseltine I am having a bit of the same problem DIM will not uninstall any files since I changed the name of my library from My Library to My Daz Library. In DIM it says they are uninstalled but still very much present in studio.  Obviously I have messed up the information the 2 programs use to know where stuff is installed.  Can I just delete the manifest folder ? Will DIM then show nothing installed? 

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The manifest files that are created when you install content will still have the old paths.  You will need to batch edit the old paths to the new paths with something like Notepad++.

jestmart said:

The manifest files that are created when you install content will still have the old paths.  You will need to batch edit the old paths to the new paths with something like Notepad++.

Can  you tell me how  I do a batch edit?  It's not something I have tried before

Another question I had previously asked in a different thread ( as it was a different question I thought I needed a new thread, but that thread is now locked), if I can't batch edit the file, can I just manually delete everything from the Daz studio library and the manifest files and then studio will show everything as needing to be  installed and then I can reinstall everything?

@jestmart thanks for your input, the batch edit worked just like you said.