OT: First time tried the HTC Vive today.

SoundLufsSoundLufs Posts: 67
edited January 2018 in The Commons

In case you wonder - HTC Vive is a virtual reality set which works with PC, and including headset and motion controllers. 

To cut long story short  - WOW!!  This came as a suprise, even though I wished for it to be good, and was somewhat biased initially. Still the experience overwhelmed me totally,  and it has some transcendental side to it, in my view. As you become immersed, and feeling "there", you sort of dealing with your inner fears - height, darkness, seeing the danger upclose, etc.

Another interesting side to it, is that 3D graphics in the headset look NOTHING like you see it on flat monitor. It feels incredibly present, real life size, which makes you wanna touch it. And even tough they have to simplify the textures in order to run the VR smoothly, even the simplified graphics make an enormous impression once they are real life size and surround you.

I recommend the HTC Vive specifically, cause it provides deep experience of actually moving, grabing things, sitting on the floor, standing etc. and does it very naturally, with near perfect accuracy, making you forget that what you see, isn`t actually there.

Post edited by SoundLufs on

Comments

• +1

:D

Yeah, the Vive is seriously cool, and I love it XD Several of the PA's have it now, and I know a couple have talked about walking around in their sets before they finish to check scale and whatnot. One sent me his set to walk around in, and it was completely surreal. He's also excellent at lighting and texturing so that only added to the experience. I can't wait for there to be a way to host a VR Chat in a set without sending the set to the other folks in the chat :D

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

It's kinda fantastic.  I just LOVE it

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited January 2018

I've a Google Android 'DayDream' thingamabob (sort of like an improve VR cardboard with a bluetooth simple one-hand game controller) that you slip your phone or phone sized table into it but I was similarly impressed although it doesn't add all the I/O controller functionality that you mention the HTC Vive has.

What I bought is always on sale at WalMart for between $7 and $20. In the box is instructions on how to download an simple example VR game app. Well worth the $7 I paid for it as it gives a real 3D sensation although with typical game style '3D Modeled' environment.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,868

I think a VRChat world for Daz users would be great to set up - especially once more users get headsets :) I won't bore anyone with my enthusiasm for the vive and VR - but yea... love it :D

• I would love to try that. I got a free little app called "sites in VR" on my Android phone that lets you look at historical landmarks across the world, and like you said, I was blown away by the scale of some of those structures compared to looking at them on a monitor. It's surreal to have to tilt your head back to see the top of a castle or to stand in the middle of the Circus Maximus and turn around looking at everything as though you're actually there. That was with a $4 viewer so I'm sure it's no where near as immersive as vive or oculus, but it certainly wet my appetite. 

What games did you try? If I'm not mistaken, there doesn't seem to be that much available for it yet. 

edited January 2018
    Post edited by Mada on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,836
    edited January 2018

How is it HTC Vive wearing comfort, after you use it for a while?

Does the soft part of the headset contacting with your skin gets easily dirty, like they do on Occulus Rite?

I know a people, that were used headset from the begining, but stopped using them after headset's parts gets dirty

and there is no easy way to clean the headset up.

Post edited by Artini on
  • I've heard the HTC Vive is a sweat magnet but you can get "hygene covers" that are disposable or easy to clean with an antibacterial wipe

Apparently Microsoft's Mixed Reality headsets would be compatible with SteamVR, which should open the door to a lot more competition: Here are the alternatives. 

Maker Dell Lenovo Samsung ASUS Acer
    Display LCD LCD OLED LCD LCD
    Resolution 2,280 x 1,440 2,280 x 1,440 2,880 x 1,600 2,880 x 1,440 2,280 x 1,440
    Refresh Rate 90Hz 90Hz 90Hz 90Hz 90Hz
    Field of View 110 degrees 105 degrees 110 degrees 95 degrees 95 degrees
    Headphones No No Yes No No
    Price $449 $399 $499 $549 $299

compared to Vive and Oculus: 

Specifications HTC Vive Oculus Rift
    Display OLED OLED
    Resolution 2,160 x 1,200 2,160 x 1,200
    Refresh Rate 90Hz 90Hz
    Field of View 110 degrees 110 degrees
    Headphones No Yes
    Price $599

$399

source

• SoundLufsSoundLufs Posts: 67
    edited January 2018

The inside pad is removable (or was it an aftermarket cover indeed?), and the guy at my local booth inserted a fresh one before giving the headset to me, so I guess he washes them on regular basis and has many spare ones.  As for comfort, I was positively surprised, that I felt very good in it for an hour, and could stay more if I had the time.  But what`s funny, I did actually started feeling nauseous, but only afterwards, 3-5 minutes after removing it. Of course it needs some getting used to, and some uses can trigger more motion sickness than others.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

The HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift (and all the Windows Mixed Reality HMDs) are both excellent HMDs (Head Mounted Displays)....but the screen-door effect on both is still a pretty significant problem.  The resolution of each (almost all are 2880 x 1440, which becomes 1440 x 1440 per eye) is the limiting factor on this.

There is only one manufacturer that is currently producing a truly High Resolution HMD currently for the home market....that's Pimax.  The Pimax 4k uses a UHD screen (3840 x 2160) so each eye gets 1920 x 2160.  That's a HUGE difference when it comes to screen door effect and aliasing.  They are trying to bring their Pimax 8k to market now, which uses TWO UHD screens (one per eye), though it's not quite there yet (though they did demo it at CES again) which virtually eliminates screen-door effect.

Pimax however has some software issues (IMHO) considering it caused some of my software (DS specifically) to stop rendering the viewport.  And the driver install/uninstall didn't actually completely uninstall everything, so I ended up having to reformat and reload the drive to get it back.  I'm hoping they'll get their driver/installation/uninstallation issues resolved after the 8K hits the market.

They've got a GREAT set of HMDs, they just need to get their driver software cleaned up for mass consumption.

(Note:  The Pimax 4k and 8k currently BOTH simply upscale the 2880x1440 signal to 4k/8k resolution.  So you won't get better image quality than in a Vive/Oculus/WMR HMD.  But you will see it much clearer and with less screen-door effect.  They are working on trying to get the Pimax 8K-X out also, which has the option to actually drive at native 4k/eye.)

• I've alway wanted to try VR but I wear glasses all the time and worried that the head piece might not fit comfortably over them. Are there any glasses wearers who can speak to this? Is it tight? Does it push your glasses out of place? 

I've alway wanted to try VR but I wear glasses all the time and worried that the head piece might not fit comfortably over them. Are there any glasses wearers who can speak to this? Is it tight? Does it push your glasses out of place? 

Most of the current crop of HMDs provide stand-off adjustment to allow for glasses to be worn.  Do be aware this will reduce the field of view.

• hphoenix said:

I've alway wanted to try VR but I wear glasses all the time and worried that the head piece might not fit comfortably over them. Are there any glasses wearers who can speak to this? Is it tight? Does it push your glasses out of place? 

Most of the current crop of HMDs provide stand-off adjustment to allow for glasses to be worn.  Do be aware this will reduce the field of view.

Hmmm. All right, that's good to know. A bit disappointing, but good to know.

• I've alway wanted to try VR but I wear glasses all the time and worried that the head piece might not fit comfortably over them. Are there any glasses wearers who can speak to this? Is it tight? Does it push your glasses out of place? 

It depends on the size of your glasses.  My usual pair of glasses have curved rectangular lenses which are around 1.5 inches by 2.25 inches.  These are ok in the Occulus Rift, but I tend to wear a slightly older pair of glasses which have lenses of 1 inch by 2 inches because they are much more comfortable to wear when I am using the rift for a long time.  There are a couple of companies that produce prescription lenses for VR headsets.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited January 2018
    hphoenix said:

(Note:  The Pimax 4k and 8k currently BOTH simply upscale the 2880x1440 signal to 4k/8k resolution.  So you won't get better image quality than in a Vive/Oculus/WMR HMD.  But you will see it much clearer and with less screen-door effect.  They are working on trying to get the Pimax 8K-X out also, which has the option to actually drive at native 4k/eye.)

I've never heard of the pimax, but it's an interesting post. Am I correct in saying because it upscales you wont even need a better PC? Also does it have controllers?

Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • The HTC Vive pro is looking quite interesting.

"2880 x 1600 resolution. The new headset will have a Dual OLED display with a 615 dpi resolution – that's a 78% increase over the current HTC Vive's resolution. The headset will use dual microphones with noise cancellation to make communication easier.....  And, if a new headset wasn't enough, HTC Vive will finally go wireless thanks to the new Vive Wireless Adapter"  

"

The controllers were spotted at last year's Steam Dev Days, and feature a strap that attaches the controllers to your wrist, allowing you to completely let go of the grips in order to simulate 'dropping' a virtual object. 

The exact specs of the new controllers are unconfirmed, but one report claims they contain a total of 21 sensors. 

"

Source

bradrg said:
    hphoenix said:

I've never heard of the pimax, but it's an interesting post. Am I correct in saying because it upscales you wont even need a better PC? Also does it have controllers?

It's designed to be compatible with Vive/Oculus controllers, but pimax also has it's own controllers (which are compatible with SteamVR, and I think Oculus too.)

You can check it out here:  https://www.pimaxvr.com/en/

• SoundLufsSoundLufs Posts: 67
    edited January 2018

I would say that many features depend on design and implementation. In the current Vive wand controller there is a "grab" button, which usually takes care of the palm motions whether you "take" and "hold", and eventually just let go of it and "drop". Also the accelerometer works well, so you can throw it instead of droping  -  it becomes very natural, and since your hand is moving with 1-to-1 accuracy, lack of individual fingers movement didn`t feel like a deal breaker for me.  Its already light years ahead of your usual mouse+keyboard experience.

edited January 2018

I wear glasses with the vive and I found as long as they're not tall it works quite well. If you have glasses where the supports on the nose is built in instead of pads that helps a lot for comfort - the headset do press a bit on the supports.

The higher resolution does come with the need for a stronger computer and gpu, from what I can see the new Vive Pro needs at least a 1080 to run well - current vive owners should be able to upgrade just the headset instead of getting everything again. I also like the addition of the cameras on the front of the headset, it would be fantastic to be able to see the keyboard to type without having the put the headset on and off all the time.

Post edited by Mada on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I'm OBSESSED with VR! I've been to many VR events here in LA. I ended up buying an Oculus on sale during the holidays but haven't set it or my new computer up because I got a horrible flu then upper respiratory infection but already "purchased" a ton of free experiences from the Oculus store that I can't wait to try. I think there's a way to view your monitor in VR so that will be interesting for DS and Photoshop! (And Netflix, Hulu!)

At one event I tried an astronaut experience on the Vive and I never get dizzy or sick, but on that one, at the end, you are spinning through space on a tether really fast, and I literally couldn't stand up! I had to get down on my knees! It was really cool though, feeling you are flying through space (until the crazy spinning part!) I've walked on Mars in VR, flown through the galaxy, it's the closest thing to lucid dreaming I've ever experienced. I LOVE VR! I may disappear from the world when I get mine set up! 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815
    edited January 2018

I wish I could get a premade plastic head fitting viewer for my ipad air! 

(being too financially  strapped to buy a dedicated headset)

it is big enough one should get an all round view but that's the problem, nothing premade is that big.

It is too heavy for anything I might jerry rig too or make out of cardboard.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

There are lots of exciting uses for artists in VR :) Tiltbrush, Medium and Quill are all very interesting, a bit of a learning curve but worth it. Modo has a VR module and they're working on expanding it - nothing beats putting on a headset and walking around a set you made.

https://www.foundry.com/events/modo-vr-webinar

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

For what it's worth I'm a serious fan of VR also; I bought an Oculus during the black friday discounts last year, and set it up on my computer.  First thing I did was import a Stonemason set into Unity, and a trivial walkaround camera script.  Blew. My. Mind.

I was having SO much fun, that I wanted to share it with my wife and kids.  My wife's not a fan unless she can sit on the ground and do stuff; she gets dizzy easily.  My kids ADORED it, to the point where I had to move the Oculus down to the living room, and now I don't have it on my development system anymore and can't play with 3D objects in VR anymore.  So I'm thinking about getting a second one... ;)

#linkback to my earlier thread on this...

--  Morgan

• I was too cheap to buy a htc vive! So I got a Occuls Rift black friday special and it is alot of fun and it was hundreds cheaper than the vive. The only thing that needs to be fixed in VR is the ability to walk around with your feet. We also need a vest that lets you feel things when they hit you. Other than that VR is fun. I'm ready for Daz Studio or better yet Carrara VR. You can run Unreal engine and import your models and walk around in them. VR needs a game engine setup like in Iclone where it is not destroying your video card like Iray does to show you something. Carrara with its built in enviroments plus a way to run in VR would be great. I think VR stalled a bit because the googles were too expensive and the hardware requirements were too steep. I like VR but I wear glasses so I had to find a way to keep my glasses from fogging up! My solution was shaving cream? Sounds crazy but the anti foging wipes and everything else was too expensive. So here you go cheap anti-fogging with shaving cream. First clean your glasses. Next place a small dab on your index finger and apply to both lenses front and back(you only need a very thin layer so don't go crazy and use too much). Now wait about 15 mins for soap to dry and clean off excess soap and gently polish lenses. Don't use water or wipe too hard on lenses or you will take off soap residue and your glasses will no longer be fog proof. Next VR googles hygene tip!! Go to Walmart or where ever you go to buy bath towels and buy yourself a pack of soft hand size wash cloths. Next cut the wash cloth center out the size of the inner opening of your googles ( tip >> you can take off the foam shield and use it as template but becareful because you can damage this crutial part of your googles) so you can use these wash cloths as face shield. You now have a nice do it yourself face shield and it is a wash cloth! Consequently, when it gets dirty just take it to your sink and use some liquid soap to clean it and hang it up to dry. Remember you bought more than one wash cloth while one is drying you can use another wash cloth to make a spare face shield. Those expensive disposable face shields are too thin and too expensive. Have fun and save some money.

• Thanks for the interesting links! 

I am saving pennies for the upcoming VIve Pro. Besides, my dream would be for DS to get a VR support, so we could see the scenes at least in the simple drawing modes, position all the props with the motion controllers, adjust figure poses etc. 

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 681

I am loving the Oculus Rift. I don't notice any of that screendoor effect. The only difficulty with glasses is getting it on. But if you losen all the straps it goes on well. The Oculus magically  reattaches it's own velcro strips. Thanks for the tips on Unity.