ZBrush

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

what's the difference between zbrush core and 4R? Besidesb the price, if course.

And do youNEED a tablet?

Comments

• I think there is a comparison of the two software packages on the Pixologic website, and beyond that I'm not sure what exactly they are.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited January 2018

Quite a few brushes don't really seem to work without a tablet.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • joseftjoseft Posts: 310

you dont need a tablet. Everything works just fine without one. Some people find it to be more productive and intuitive with a tablet, it can be handy for things like brush strength - on a tablet brush strength is controlled by how hard you are pressing on the tablet with the stylus/pen. Whereas without a tablet, you have to manually adjust brush strength in the ui or using hotkeys.

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124
    edited January 2018

Zbrush core lacks many features needed for making sophisticated textures maps as well as the more advanced sculpting techniques.   It’s intended as a starting point for learning 3D sculpting.   It does not support GoZ or Zremesher, for example.   http://zbrushcore.com/features  Think of it as a learning tool.

In terms of mouse v. tablet, you do not need a tablet— but, and this is a big but, if you are serious about working detailed model, a tablet, even a small one will speed your work and the fluidity of organic sculptures.   I will frequently just mak some quick adjustments with a mouse, but for detailed painting and sculpting of models, I find a tablet or Cintiq pretty useful.

There are many brushes that use pressure sensitivity of the tablet to give their full effect, but you can get by with just a mouse, especially for hard surface modeling.

I generally recommend serious modelers and students start with full version of Zbrush if they can afford it, even if it’s a touch overwhelming to start.  (Zbrush has a relatively steep learning curve, but it pays great dividends in digital sculpting after you get past the initial lear

Post edited by Kerwin on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

http://zbrushcore.com/features

As with digital painting, a tablet is not a must, but definitely will help a LOT.

Intuos 3D includes ZBrush Core.

• joseft said:

you dont need a tablet. Everything works just fine without one. Some people find it to be more productive and intuitive with a tablet, it can be handy for things like brush strength - on a tablet brush strength is controlled by how hard you are pressing on the tablet with the stylus/pen. Whereas without a tablet, you have to manually adjust brush strength in the ui or using hotkeys.

With a tablet the pressure can be varied during a stroke, allowing for tapered effects and so on.