.DUF File size explosion!

I have a scene that is about 750 KB when saved. (scene.duf file)

To fix some poke-through problems, I hide then delete some polygons by using the Geometry tool.

When I save my scene. the .duf file explodes to a heavy 62 MB!

Is there an explanation and possibly a way to reduce the file to its original size!

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Yes, because the scene file instend of loading an external model now since you deleted some polygons now keeps the altered model directly in your scene file.

• mlominymlominy Posts: 211

Clever! Does it means that if I save temporarily the altered model, and load it, it shall keep the size low? 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    mlominy said:

Clever! Does it means that if I save temporarily the altered model, and load it, it shall keep the size low? 

You would need to save the altered models as a Morph/Prop Asset and then replace the model in your scene with the just saved new Morph/Prop Asset and then your scene file would then again be reduced in size when you save it to disk because it will be loaded from another model asset file (which will contain most of the 62MB removed from the scene file).

However, once the scene is loaded the size will be about the same in your computer's RAM with either scene file. 

• mlominymlominy Posts: 211

By saving the altered model to a Morph/Prop Asset, do you mean save as a Character?

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

save as > support asset > figure/prop

This is the same problem that happens when you use the transfer utility to fit clothing. For example from G3 to G8. The saved scene will explode in size because the fitted clothing is stored in the scene.

Keeping the scene file size low is essential when you plan a short movie where hundreds of scenes will be involved. If your goal is a few still pictures then this is not an issue.

• Saving as an asset, however, will save on disc space only if you use the converted item more than once (or save multiple versions of the scene). If it's a choice between one scene file with embedded data or one scene file plus assets files I suspect the former will consume marginally less disc space.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Saving as an asset, however, will save on disc space only if you use the converted item more than once

That's what I mean when I say it's for movies rather than a few still pictures. For exampe when you use the same outfit in many scenes. And it also has the advantage that if you fix something in a shared asset then all the scenes using it are already fixed as well.