Save Character

cybelleandreacybelleandrea Posts: 3

I'm new to DAZ. Been using it for only 2 days.Been watching tutorials and I have started creating my first character. So I grabbed a G2F and edited some parameters and saved it as preset. It is a bald character so far. I added hair and saved it as a new Character Preset with a different name of course. When I open the new character (it should have the hair on) it appears bald. So my question is how should I save my characters? There are so many options to save..

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

?? Not sure what you need, but you could try: "File" , "Save as..." , "Character Preset" from the drop down lists at the top left of the Studio screen.

If that's not what you want, just ask.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I'm new to DAZ. Been using it for only 2 days.Been watching tutorials and I have started creating my first character. So I grabbed a G2F and edited some parameters and saved it as preset. It is a bald character so far. I added hair and saved it as a new Character Preset with a different name of course. When I open the new character (it should have the hair on) it appears bald. So my question is how should I save my characters? There are so many options to save..

Save as a scene subset, that saves everything, hair clothes and accessories!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

The figure, hair and clothes (plus sometimes props) all count as separate characters. "Save As Character Preset" will only save whichever character you have selected in the scene. Save as Scene Subset is the only way to save several characters at once, apart from Save Scene, which will save everything.

• I use the save as--scene subset and then you can pick and choose what saves in the box that pops up.  So you can end up with a file that has a full "dressed and ready" figure.  Then it's down in the smart content tab under the "saved" section.  I forget where it puts it exactly, but it's easy to find by clicking.  

You can also save as a scene if you are just working on a picture.  If you want to use a character over and over, like I do in my comics, then use the subset.  

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Then it's down in the smart content tab under the "saved" section.  I forget where it puts it exactly, but it's easy to find by clicking.

This is what I consider one of the drawbacks of using Smart Content — you never know where your files are actually stored, the Smart Content database does all your forgetting for you.

Sorry, I meant "remembering".  

There is a valid point to this, though; databases are not infallible. The new PostgreSQL system is much more robust than the original D|S content database, but even so it does sometimes cough its digital guts up. It's easy to rebuild the database for all the content you've bought from DAZ, but anything else — personalised categories, the location of saved files, details of non-DAZ content — that's all gone unless you've recently backed up the database files.

The other option is to save using the Content Library tab. When you do this, you always know where you're saving to, because that's the location you're looking at in the Content Library tab. This is the difference between the two tabs; Content Library shows the actual location of your files in the content folders, while Smart Content is a filtered and sorted view of a database of links to those files. It's handy to know at least how Content Library works, in case you have to use it because the Smart Cont;sojmsdglslg <cough> <kicks bucket>

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

The figure, hair and clothes (plus sometimes props) all count as separate characters. "Save As Character Preset" will only save whichever character you have selected in the scene. Save as Scene Subset is the only way to save several characters at once, apart from Save Scene, which will save everything.

When I first checked this thread, the opening post was completely blank, so I posted my best guess as to what Cybelleandra was needing. smiley

• cybelleandreacybelleandrea Posts: 3
    edited January 2018

First off, pardon my French, excuse my English...and [redacted] my Spanish. I will try to make myself understood. I want to create my own characters. I want to choose a human figure, add skin, hair, eye color, then modify the body...and be able to save all those changes, so I can add more changes the next day and the next day, until I am happy with my creation, and I can use it in my own comics or even movies. So my question is: how do I save changes?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

First off, pardon my French, excuse my English...and f*ck my Spanish. I will try to make myself understood. I want to create my own characters. I want to choose a human figure, add skin, hair, eye color, then modify the body...and be able to save all those changes, so I can add more changes the next day and the next day, until I am happy with my creation, and I can use it in my own comics or even movies. So my question is: how do I save changes?

As I said:as a scene subset:)

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

When I've modified a character I'm going to use in comics I tend to save as scene, with just the character, clothes, hair and accesories. No background or scenery or lights or anything else. Then when I want to put the character into another scene I use the 'merge' option under file, and merge the character with it.