Water Dynamics - Realistic Water Interacting with Objects

I would like DAZ to create another water, perhaps tiable again, that actually can interact with animals leaping out, boats going through, etc. Water clings to water is pushing up through it (like a dolphin jumping) and when they surface to air, the water similarly concaves around their body (this can also be seen with boats). I was hoping to use DForm to do this, but no water products seem to allow this; the points in the geometry are all way too far away to do this on a properly fine scale. Also, water props in the store just aren't enough. They help, but I'm looking for more.

Can DAZ say anything on this?

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Have you tried using dForce on a water prop? Or any untextured promitive, then apply a water shader?

• If you don't want to wait for DAZ there is a fluid simulation in Blender and Houdini you could look at.  Blender is free and Houdini Apprentice (non-commercial use only) is free.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

Carrara has a FLUIDOS plugin by Alberto that can be exported as obj, it saves in series of  .ply files one may be able to convert and serial import with one of Mcasual's scripts too

and I can confirm Blender exports fluid sims as a series of obj too

• Have you tried using dForce on a water prop? Or any untextured promitive, then apply a water shader?

No, I haven't tried this but I don't see how it'd work... to be honest I haven't used dForce at all, so I don't know how it works. I should check it out, though.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited January 2018

RobotHead, thanks, -- I watched the video and this hopefully will do what I need, for now :D Thanks!!!!

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

I would like DAZ to create another water, perhaps tiable again, that actually can interact with animals leaping out, boats going through, etc. Water clings to water is pushing up through it (like a dolphin jumping) and when they surface to air, the water similarly concaves around their body (this can also be seen with boats). I was hoping to use DForm to do this, but no water products seem to allow this; the points in the geometry are all way too far away to do this on a properly fine scale. Also, water props in the store just aren't enough. They help, but I'm looking for more.

Can DAZ say anything on this?

Like this?

ahhh saw your video, so DAZ Studio is getting a FLUIDOS plugin too?

Cool, I actually use it (DAZ studio) sometimes too, not if I can use Carrara but some things only work in DS so its always an option

th3Digit said:

ahhh saw your video, so DAZ Studio is getting a FLUIDOS plugin too?

Cool, I actually use it (DAZ studio) sometimes too, not if I can use Carrara but some things only work in DS so its always an option

Yes, it is !

Thank you!

This is an static iray version.

hall_iray.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Realistic fluids in DAZ Studio? That would be very nice. Any idea of the timelines for when this might be expected?

Realistic fluids in DAZ Studio? That would be very nice. Any idea of the timelines for when this might be expected?

I'm not sure. I sent some images to DAZ for review, some days ago. But it is the first time I send a work, so I don't know the timing.

Next are some basic simulations.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

I imagine this is very memory and CPU intesive!  Very impressive, though.  I have a feeling my Core2Duo wouldn't handle it very well.

Dana

edited May 2018
    DanaTA said:

I imagine this is very memory and CPU intesive!  Very impressive, though.  I have a feeling my Core2Duo wouldn't handle it very well.

Dana

Oh, not as much!

I tested the plugin in an AMD Phenom II X2 (only two cores), Windows 32 bits and Nvidia GT220.

• The simulation fluid ball of the above video takes less than 4 minutes, 61 frames.
    • The viscous fluid takes 2 minutes, it has 301 frames
    • The water in the stairs takes 12 minutes, for 31 frames

The memory needed by Daz Studio was less than 350 MB

In fact, the rendering is the slower step. The fluid ball takes 15 minutes in 3Delight.

Of course, high resolution scenes could consume much more memory and time. But the "whitewater" feature (spray, bubbles and foam) can give more realism to the scene without the need of high resolutions simulations.

Post edited by Alberto on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Alberto said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Oh, not as much!

I tested the plugin in an AMD Phenom II X2 (only two cores), Windows 32 bits and Nvidia GT220.

• The simulation fluid ball of the above video takes less than 4 minutes, 61 frames.
    • The viscous fluid takes 2 minutes, it has 301 frames
    • The water in the stars takes 12 minutes, for 31 frames

The memory needed by Daz Studio was less than 350 MB

In fact, the rendering is the slower step. The fluid ball takes 15 minutes in 3Delight.

Of course, high resolution scenes could consume much more memory and time. But the "whitewater" feature (spray, bubbles and foam) can give more realism to the scene without the need of high resolutions simulations.

Thanks for the info!  It will go into my wishlist.  Can't afford much of anything right now.

Dana

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Very impressive Alberto. I'm looking forward to playing with your plugin. I'm sure it will be a great success. :)

DanaTA said:

Thanks for the info!  It will go into my wishlist.  Can't afford much of anything right now.

Dana

Very impressive Alberto. I'm looking forward to playing with your plugin. I'm sure it will be a great success. :)

Thank you!

This is another example: