Medieval keys

PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359

It's been a while, but here's a quick little freebie, a selection of four medieval key props for DS4 (.duf). They've been modeled using historical keys from 11th to 14th centuries as a reference. Both Iray & 3Delight materials included. No wearable presets (i.e. smart props).

Commercial 2D renders (incl. sprites) and non-commercial 3D prints are allowed (not designed for it, though).

[Download here]

Keys Iray.jpg
800 x 800 - 289K
Keys 3DL.jpg
800 x 800 - 535K

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Thanks, Porsimo. You can never find the right key when you need one.

• Thanks, just what my enterprising thieves need.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135

These look really nice - thank you!

• Very cool, thank you for sharing. :)

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2018

“I have heard the key  
    Turn in the door once and turn once only  
    We think of the key, each in his prison  
    Thinking of the key, each confirms a prison”

Very appropriate after a spot of food poisoning.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359

You're welcome! Just FYI, the keys 1 & 2 (grey/black ones) are about the correct size, but keys 3 (in pic the rusty one in the back) and especially 4 (in pic the one on the right) are probably much bigger than their real life counterparts.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited January 2018

As a boy I lived in a house that still had such keys and they still worked. We called them skeleton keys though. Thanks.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited January 2018

As a boy I lived in a house that still had such keys and they still worked. We called them skeleton keys though. Thanks.

Techically, these are called 'warded keys', as the shape at the end (if it wasn't the right key) would snag on one of the wards in the lock body, thus preventing it from reaching the actual mechanism.  A 'skeleton key' was one of these warded keys that had ALL the end that could strike any ward in any of the locks in the building removed from it and yet still engage the mechanism, thus allowing it to open ANY lock in that building.  Nowadays, we call these 'master' keys, but in the old days of warded locks, we called them 'skeleton keys' as the end was often shaved down to the 'mere bones' so it could avoid all the wards in all the locks in the building.

Post edited by hphoenix on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    hphoenix said:

Techically, these are called 'warded keys', as the shape at the end (if it wasn't the right key) would snag on one of the wards in the lock body, thus preventing it from reaching the actual mechanism.  A 'skeleton key' was one of these warded keys that had ALL the end that could strike any ward in any of the locks in the building removed from it and yet still engage the mechanism, thus allowing it to open ANY lock in that building.  Nowadays, we call these 'master' keys, but in the old days of warded locks, we called them 'skeleton keys' as the end was often shaved down to the 'mere bones' so it could avoid all the wards in all the locks in the building.

Interesting so I guess skeleton keys got to be pretty common as the old warded keys got lost. laugh