DAZ Not Respecting Symlinks on Windows

I am trying to point DAZ Studio at my "3rd Party Library" which is located on another system. Due to some paths ending up being fully qualified, I need both systems to see the directory as "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library". I have  a Mapped Drive mapped as "R:" pointed to "\\myothersystem\DazContent" 

​Now I have created a symlink to "R:\3rd Party Library" as "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library"

​Everything looks good and the link works as expected.

​But when I go to configure "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library" as an additional library, DAZ Studio keeps changing it to "R:\3rd Party Library" which will not work properly. I can't figure out how to force DAZ Studio to respect the location that I am selecting in their Dialog Box.

​Does anyone know how to do this? Will I have to find it in the Database and change it their or something?

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,080

I symlinked everything to the default C:... location, and have no problems with that setup.

• I can actually reproduce this just using Windows Explorer directly so it is a Windows issue. It would be OK if DAZ would allow us to directly enter in the Folder path instead of requiring the use Explorer to select it. I need a way to correct it in DAZ. I'm not sure where the info is stored. Perhaps in the Database?

Maybe it will work as it is because the Harcoded paths would point at the SymLink and the Mapped drive would work for everything else.

SymLink Not Working.png
    553 x 547 - 40K
  • Are you using soft or hard links ? ("Symbolic link" vs "Hardlink" in Windows terms), symbolic links usually resolve to the correct target while a hard link does not.

• Can't use a Hard link because the Target is remote share.

I was finally able to get this to work but I had to take a different approach because there are fully qualified paths added in several places. 

So here is what I had to do

Both Systems have their own "My DAZ 3D Library" on "D:\DazContent\My DAZ 3D Library"

On the System Sharing its Drive (Alterbridge): Share the Drive and also make it so both R: & D: are the same location

1) net share DazContent=D:\

2) subst R: D:\

On the System accessing the Share Drive: Map network Drive R: to \\alterbridge\DazContent and also create Symbolic Link to the folders that are to be shared

1) ​net use R: \\alterbridge\DazContent  (I also had to connect through the UI for some reason. Didn't take the time to figure out why)

2) mklink /D "R:\DazContent\3rd Party Library"  "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library"

3) mklink /D "R:\DazContent\My Library"  "D:\DazContent\My Library"

So now both systems have "R:\DazContent\3rd Party Library" and "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library" pointing to "D:\DazContent\3rd Party Library" on the Sharing system

​I configure Daz Studio to have "My Library" first in the Content Directory Manager. In this way, any files that are created will end up in "My Library" so that both "My DAZ 3D Library" & "3rd Party Library" will remain as they were installed.