Join Daz Date in Profile- 1960's?

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Well...that's interesting. I went to PM someone and noticed their Join Date. It's December 1969!  What's the earliest someone could join? Wikipedia has the Zygote group in the 1990's, certainly not the 1960's! 

Have you checked yours to see if it's right? 

Comments

• Well mine is correct though technically I bought from Daz before that. It was an old email account I no longer used and had purchased some textures or something like that. Forgot the user name/password so just created a new account. My join date says 2003 but it was 2001 when I first purchased Daz. I even remember getting little booklets in the mail showcasing Daz products. But 1969? Wow
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Wikipedia says  Zygote Media Group is a 3D human anatomy content and technology company. Formed in 1994...

So far as Daz, it says:   It was originally part of Zygote Media Group, a general purpose, application-agnostic 3D content broker, and split off as "Digital Art Zone"in 2000 to focus on supplying content for the Poser market.

So wouldn't the farthest back be 2000? 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

If you don't put a joining date in when you sign up the forums use that December 1969 date as the default. @Chohole explained the reason in a post somewhere.

Ah, good to know. I've been here for years and never noticed it for other people. Looks funky! 

joined.png
    1032 x 470 - 80K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

AFAIK accounts created before Daz added forums to the site (like mine) all have a forum join date in 1969.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I had a Google and it has to do when Unix was first launched in 1/1/1970 so any blank dates are either this or 31/12/1969.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2018
    Leana said:

AFAIK accounts created before Daz added forums to the site (like mine) all have a forum join date in 1969.

No   it is not that   All who already had accounts joined the forum on the date they first posted on the forums.  The PC started in 2002, before there were forums.  The Ist anniversary of the PC in October 2003 added the forums and all forum accounts are taken from that date (for those of us who already had PC accounts)

As Sandy says the 1969 (or 1970 depending which side of the globe you are) dates are caused by a glitch whcih happened with the Unix coding and ended up with a Null or zero, which defaults to 31/12/1969.

https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/whats-the-deal-with-12-31-1969/

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

LOL, mine shows as 2001 even though I'm also one of the old timers. So, I guess if I was still using my original username, mine would show 1969 as well. I changed it to AllenArt when I was a PA here many moons ago :P.

Laurie

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Yes, mine says 1969. I figured a programmer went through a time machine and took the bad acid at Woodstock LOL.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Or maybe Timothy Leary hacked into the Daz forums LOL. Seems appropriate since my user name is Wonderland...

Chohole said:
    Leana said:

No   it is not that   All who already had accounts joined the forum on the date they first posted on the forums.  The PC started in 2002, before there were forums.  The Ist anniversary of the PC in October 2003 added the forums and all forum accounts are taken from that date (for those of us who already had PC accounts)

That's the explanation I was given when I asked about it long ago (I thought it was fun that I supposedly joined Daz years before I was born ^^), but it's entirely possible the person who told me that was wrong ;)

I was registered at Daz site but wasn't a PC member yet when Daz added the forums (I remember getting an email to tell me that the site evolved, so I'm sure I was registered somehow), I only joined the PC in early 2004.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well January 1, 1970 is the 'computer epoch' and also a good birthdate for a race horse. Many computers and hence countless software used that as default bootup date when it went missing for some reason. I saw it all the time when I was programming to protect against Y2K computer bugs.

Good to such such a fake date again identify theft too. 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Yes, mine says 1969. I figured a programmer went through a time machine and took the bad acid at Woodstock LOL.

"Too much LDS in the sixties" according to a certain Starfleet admiral. Makes perfect sense to me...  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571

...what we can now carry in our pockets took up most of the basement of the science building on my college campus back in 1969.

...and on screen graphics were 2D vector format.

My join date is correct.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited January 2018

As one of the old ones here alongside AllenArt and Chohole, mine, along with others who were here before the Great Glitch/crash of 2003 all have starting dates which were DAZ set.  Mine is in the October 2003 reassemble group, but I believe there was possibly a few groupings before everything was restored.  I joined originally at the inception, and was part of the ArtZone (which I miss dearly).

Laurie, your date shows Oct. 2003 when I checked just now.  Odd if it is showing 2001 for your own view of your profile.

And, Chohole, I have never been part of, or have had a subscription to PC, so I don't know how that quite factors in.  Also, your profile shows Oct. 2003 as well...

* EDIT:  I also miss when our dates use to show in the forums.  It was fun looking up everyones dates in this thread with a few of you having the illustrious 69' dating, and SpottedKitty belonging to the Dec. 2003 group (unless you literally signed up then).  Also, wasn't there a very special case where a select few people had/have a Zero join date attached to their profiles?  I vaguely remember something along those lines when they were visible in the forums alongside the 1969 dating.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    DaremoK3 said:

and SpottedKitty belonging to the Dec. 2003 group (unless you literally signed up then).

That actually sounds about right; looking back at my order history, my first one was in December, but I can't remember how long before that I'd made an account and just puttered about in the forums.

• Mine is November 2003, makes sense. I started learning about poser early that summer, and then found Daz. Which I found much cooler. I remember the alpha days.I to miss the Art Zone, I had some images on there, and all them I think are lost now. Not sure If I have them backed up on cd/dvd 

edited January 2018
    DaremoK3 said:

As one of the old ones here alongside AllenArt and Chohole, mine, along with others who were here before the Great Glitch/crash of 2003 all have starting dates which were DAZ set.  Mine is in the October 2003 reassemble group, but I believe there was possibly a few groupings before everything was restored.  I joined originally at the inception, and was part of the ArtZone (which I miss dearly).

Laurie, your date shows Oct. 2003 when I checked just now.  Odd if it is showing 2001 for your own view of your profile.

And, Chohole, I have never been part of, or have had a subscription to PC, so I don't know how that quite factors in.  Also, your profile shows Oct. 2003 as well...

* EDIT:  I also miss when our dates use to show in the forums.  It was fun looking up everyones dates in this thread with a few of you having the illustrious 69' dating, and SpottedKitty belonging to the Dec. 2003 group (unless you literally signed up then).  Also, wasn't there a very special case where a select few people had/have a Zero join date attached to their profiles?  I vaguely remember something along those lines when they were visible in the forums alongside the 1969 dating.

Chohole said:
    Leana said:

As Sandy says the 1969 (or 1970 depending which side of the globe you are) dates are caused by a glitch whcih happened with the Unix coding and ended up with a Null or zero, which defaults to 31/12/1969.

https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/whats-the-deal-with-12-31-1969/

The glitches that caused the 1969 dates were not caused by a   "Great Glitch/crash of 2003"     there was no such crash

2003 was the inception of the forums.

there were actually a couple of glitches which caused the unix issue to spark a batch of nil (12/31/1969) dates.   they were on the old old old forum, the one driven by a spaghetti like mess of coding held together with duct tape, rubber bands and chewing gum.

And there was indeed a brief period when the date was shown as zero rather than 31/12/1969 which happened dusing one of the forum software updates.  Was quite a short hiatus from the 1969 dates.

Seems there wasn't really a lot going on on the actual date, unless you count things like Peter, Paul and Mary being in the top ten with "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

Post edited by Chohole on

So I'm curious. Who had the first join dates that are still on the forums? 

Chohole said:
    they were on the old old old forum, the one driven by a spaghetti like mess of coding held together with duct tape, rubber bands and chewing gum.

Quite an accurate description ;)

Novica said:

It is difficult to say, as there was obviously a vast influx whose start date is shown as October 2003.   

Some time back, when a similar question was asked, I do remember that Cris Palamino is well in contention for longest active membership, but this can't be determined by forum start date

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,844
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

Cris Paolmino probably, since she was one of the original forum team and they were active before the forums went public. Edit: well, I didn't check the time but her date is in with the rest of us.

Edit edit: well, there are a lot of 1969ers. But the very first oen after that has ecently visited the forum, though not I think posted (and I can't post the name since that would be a privacy breach, but it isn't a Daz person).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on