Facegen. thoughts please?

13»

Comments

• thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195
    mrmunkton said:
    thedoctor said:
    My approach is to select a Genesis model I'm going to work with and I export its head and eyes as an OBJ file that I bring into Max or Blender. I then import my FaceGen head and remove its eye surfaces and scale it so that the eye sockets lay precisely against the Genesis eyes. This has the advantage of making my head match the Genesis body perfectly since I've scaled to the Genesis eyes. Moreover, when I bring the FaceGen head back into Daz Studio it matches the Daz eyes perfectly. By parenting the FaceGen head to the Genesis head and making the Genesis head invisible I can now pose my model in Daz Studio and move the eys up and down/left and right. You can also use the Genesis eyelashes to have more realism.

Hi,

I'm learning Max at present. Would you be kind enough to show me the steps you take to achieve what I've highlited above?

I can inport / export OBJ's without problems, but removing eye surfaces and scaling the eyes is new to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm traveling but will be back at my shop Thursday and I'll be happy to help.

• mrmunktonmrmunkton Posts: 0
    thedoctor said:
    mrmunkton said:
    thedoctor said:
    My approach is to select a Genesis model I'm going to work with and I export its head and eyes as an OBJ file that I bring into Max or Blender. I then import my FaceGen head and remove its eye surfaces and scale it so that the eye sockets lay precisely against the Genesis eyes. This has the advantage of making my head match the Genesis body perfectly since I've scaled to the Genesis eyes. Moreover, when I bring the FaceGen head back into Daz Studio it matches the Daz eyes perfectly. By parenting the FaceGen head to the Genesis head and making the Genesis head invisible I can now pose my model in Daz Studio and move the eys up and down/left and right. You can also use the Genesis eyelashes to have more realism.

Hi,

I'm learning Max at present. Would you be kind enough to show me the steps you take to achieve what I've highlited above?

I can inport / export OBJ's without problems, but removing eye surfaces and scaling the eyes is new to me.

Thank you.

I really appreciate it, thank you!

mrmunkton said:
    thedoctor said:
    mrmunkton said:
    thedoctor said:

Hi,

Thank you.

I really appreciate it, thank you!

Sorry to be delayed. Had to make a detour through Seattle. I'll be back tomorrow (Monday) and will upload the steps for you.

edited June 2019

@mrmunkton: It took me longer to get to this than I anticipated. I hope this answers your questions. If not, please follow up and I'll be happy to respond.

BELOW is my 3ds max screen after I've imported my FACEGEN model. I want to use this head on a Genesis 8 model and I want to take advantage of the eyes and eyelashes of the Daz model. So, I choose the ELEMENT selection under the MODIFY panel and that lets me select the FACEGEN eyes so I can delete them:

Once I have the eyes deleted I SAVE my eyeless head and open DAZ STUDIO to choose the figure I'm going to work with. From inside DAZ STUDIO I export the figure as an OBJ file which I then IMPORT into MAX. Here's my MAX screen with my model imported. Notice that her eyes are WHITE. This is because the CORNEA material doesn't import transparently into MAX. No worries, though, since we are just using this imported figure for positioning and scaling of our FACEGEN head. It is important that you adjust your Max import settings so the DAZ figure comes into your world properly positioned (you do this by adjusting the axis orientation either in your EXPORT settings in DAZ STUDIO or your OBJ IMPORT settings in MAX:

If you find the WHITE EYES to be creepy you can simply delete or hide the cornea surface:

Now you MERGE your saved FACEGEN file and scale it and position it in MAX until it matches the Genesis Eyeballs. It helps to make your FACEGEN model semi-transparent while you work. You do this by right-clicking the FACEGEN model and choosing OBJECT PROPERTIES where you can adjust the opacity:

When you have your FACEGEN model reasonably close, you can choose the VERTEX selection under the MODIFIER panel and this will highlight all of your FACEGEN vertices. You can now use the TRANSFORM tool inside MAX to adjust your FACEGEN model's eye shapes to match your original image and also to closely fit the Geneis figure's eyeballs. BELOW I've turned off everything except the FACEGEN model vertices with the reference image as a VIEWPORT BACKGROUND in MAX and I've moved the vertices around the eyes until they match the reference image:

By using the "Soft Selection" option as you move vertices you can easily reshape your eyes to match the reference:

You want to make sure your model aligns well with your imported DAZ figure's eyeballs and when you are satisfied you DELETE everything BUT your FACEGEN head. As long as you haven't moved or rescaled the Genesis figure inside of MAX your FACEGEN head will now import into DAZ STUDIO perfectly aligned with your DAZ figure's eyes. You then PARENT your FACEGEN head to the DAZ head and make the DAZ head invisible by unchecking its visibility box in the scene window. Now you can pose your DAZ figure with your FACEGEN head in place. 

You should should reshape your FACEGEN figure in MAX to remove the neck.so that the FACEGEN head essentially "fits" on top of the Genesis figure's neck the same as the original head. If you are a perfectionist you can export only the DAZ head into MAX and use it as a template to reshape your FACEGEN head.This lets you use the Daz hairstyles. Below is my FACEGEN head on a DAZ Genesis body using these techniques:

Post edited by thedoctor on