render time for genesis 3

Been trying some 3delight renders using genesis 3. The figure has a 3delight texture but still takes far, far longer than m4 (who uses 3delight). Any advice on speeding this up, perhaps a setting on the figures skin? Do gen3 figures usually take longer to render for some reason?

Comments

• The Genesis 3 figure is almost certainly using a more sophisticated, and therefore more demanding, material set-up than the Michael 4. To simplify the Genesis 3 figure you'd need to apply a new material, using a simpler set-up, with the ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac) key held down and then in the dialogue select ignore for maps.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

The Genesis 3 figure is almost certainly using a more sophisticated, and therefore more demanding, material set-up than the Michael 4. To simplify the Genesis 3 figure you'd need to apply a new material, using a simpler set-up, with the ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac) key held down and then in the dialogue select ignore for maps.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited January 2018

The Genesis 3 figure is almost certainly using a more sophisticated, and therefore more demanding, material set-up than the Michael 4. To simplify the Genesis 3 figure you'd need to apply a new material, using a simpler set-up, with the ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac) key held down and then in the dialogue select ignore for maps.

Tried this and it made DS crash several times. Just leaving the base settings and manually applying the textures in the surface tab (face, torso and so on) works to some extent but doesn't give the texture a different enough look from the base texture. What settings does Gen 3 have that M4 (for example) doesn't, that I could set to zero then apply the textures manually?

EDIT: Found a way around this, just applied a plain, simple 3delight shader that has hardly any settings applied, then add manually and if I want bump maps and so on I can add them as and when required. I get the feeling that anything designed for gen 3 - whether it be characters, props, clothes, may need this treatment to get my rendering times to a speed I find acceptable (I prefer quick renders rather than photorealistic).

Post edited by SteveM17 on