[Released] Expression Mixer

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369

There is an update (as of yesterday) to Expression Mixer for a missing file.  The Save Preset button should now work properly.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited April 2018

Wow, I bought a bunch of your posing products today and I'm having fun playing with them. Good thing I bought some store credit in the last gift card sale!

I'm using Expression Mixer on Genesis 8 Male. I don't see (or at least recognize) expressions from packs I've purchased in the list of expressions to be mixed. Why is that? What are the criteria for an expression to show up in the mixer list?

In this image I also used Pose Doctor and Pose Blender and, of course, Look at Me Pose Control, as well as Expression Mixer.

G8M Pose Doctor Expression Mixer Pose Blender_001.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Wow, I bought a bunch of your posing products today and I'm having fun playing with them. Good thing I bought some store credit in the last gift card sale!

I'm using Expression Mixer on Genesis 8 Male. I don't see (or at least recognize) expressions from packs I've purchased in the list of expressions to be mixed. Why is that? What are the criteria for an expression to show up in the mixer list?

In this image I also used Pose Doctor and Pose Blender and, of course, Look at Me Pose Control, as well as Expression Mixer.

He looks great!  And thanks for your support.  

What you want is to uncheck "Exclude Third-Party Expressions" in the options tab.  The manual describes all the options.

barbult said:

He looks great!  And thanks for your support.  

What you want is to uncheck "Exclude Third-Party Expressions" in the options tab.  The manual describes all the options.

Manual??? I installed with Daz Connect. I don't see a link to a manual. Where should I look for it?

It is supposed to be in the ReadMe's directory.  All my pose products have a manual and that is where DIM places them.  I don't know about Daz Connect.

Oh, yes, I see it is there. I am used to products these days having dsa script links to open the pdf manuals. Those scripts have thumbnails that show up in the Content Library and Smart Content, just like the rest of your scripts. It would be nice if you could include something like that. I bet I'm not the first customer to overlook the existence of a manual hidden away in the readme folder.
    barbult said:
    Oh, yes, I see it is there. I am used to products these days having dsa script links to open the pdf manuals. Those scripts have thumbnails that show up in the Content Library and Smart Content, just like the rest of your scripts. It would be nice if you could include something like that. I bet I'm not the first customer to overlook the existence of a manual hidden away in the readme folder.

Good idea. 

I remember reading people complaining about lack of manuals.  So I ensured all my script products have manuals.  However, Daz users may be trained to not look cheeky

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Hello! I just purchased this product for G3F but I can't get it to scroll.

I have Exclude Daz Expressions selected but I have too many third-party expressions to show in the dropdown (it fills the screen but I still can't get to everything).

Is there anyway to scroll in that expression selection dropdown? I can use Arrows to go down and pick a different expression but I can't see what I'm picking.

Thanks for any tips!

It scrolls with the middle mouse wheel for me.

edited June 2018

Interesting. My middle mouse button scrolls things with scrollbars, like the text at the top of the expression mixer dialog.

However when I click on the 'select expression morph' dropdown, there is no scrollbar in the full-screen window that appears. My middle mouse wheel doesn't scroll in this window.

I can apply the expression to the character first and try to 'load' it into the mixer, but that's not a great workaround because if it's one of those expressions with >10 things impacted, it won't load entirely.

So, kinda stumped on this one.

Post edited by Toonces on

I think I was looking at something different than what you are looking at. I was looking at the window that opens when the button to the left of Fill Locked Channels is clicked. If I click on the downward facing arrow for an individual Expression Channel, I get a full page screen of expressions to choose from, but my list is not long enough to need scrolling. I guess I don't own as many expressions as you do. So, I can't tell whether it would scroll for me or not.

Yeh, I'm debating on whether or not to return it due to the inability to scroll. The problem is, I really like the script!

So instead I'm picking and choosing which expression packages I want to uninstall (those I don't use often) to shorten the list so that most of it fits within the dialog. Stuff like 'lonely tears' takes up a lot of 'expression slots' in the dropdown, so I'll uninstall until I need a figure to have tears.

This is my wishlist:

I wish the script had a slider to control the maximum amount of each expression that could be applied by the randomizer. Instead of each one being applied randomly from 0 - 100%, I would like to limit it to 0 - 25%, for example.

I would also like an overall slider to change the intensity of the final expression result. Sometimes I like the expression, but  it is too strong. Now, to soften it, I have to figure out the proportional amount to move each individual slider.

If there are already controls for these things, I've overlooked them.

Oh, I thought it already DID do that, kind of how the Look At Me script lets you set a maximum. You're right tho, it's a 'current' slider, not a 'max' slider. I agree, it would be a nice-to-have a max. At least there's the locked checkbox which is helpful if you know which channel(s) match the portion(s) of the expression you want to keep.

barbult said:

This is my wishlist:

I wish the script had a slider to control the maximum amount of each expression that could be applied by the randomizer. Instead of each one being applied randomly from 0 - 100%, I would like to limit it to 0 - 25%, for example.

I would also like an overall slider to change the intensity of the final expression result. Sometimes I like the expression, but  it is too strong. Now, to soften it, I have to figure out the proportional amount to move each individual slider.

You can always create a Control Property to control the expression like any other expression slider.  Josh's old tutorial will still help you do this.

edited June 2018
    Toonces said:

Yeh, I'm debating on whether or not to return it due to the inability to scroll. The problem is, I really like the script!

So instead I'm picking and choosing which expression packages I want to uninstall (those I don't use often) to shorten the list so that most of it fits within the dialog. Stuff like 'lonely tears' takes up a lot of 'expression slots' in the dropdown, so I'll uninstall until I need a figure to have tears.

Sorry about that.  That "window" is actually just a menu.  Your menu must be so big that it looks like a window! smiley  You should be able to use the arrow keys to move around the menu (Edit: I see you already do that).  Hmm, I will have to investigate.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    barbult said:

This is my wishlist:

You can always create a Control Property to control the expression like any other expression slider.  Josh's old tutorial will still help you do this.

Yes, thanks, that would probably work. But that is quite a hassle compared to having a slider in the script itself, to see what the randomized expression would look like at different strength. First of all, I would have to identify all the properties used by the Expression Mixer in order to include them in my new control property. Some expressions that the Expression Mixer uses are actually control sliders for other properties already, making it even harder to figure out what is part of the expression and what is something else that is part of my dialed character. Then, I think I would either have to zero out all other non-expression properties used on my character (which would make it difficult to restore my character) or try to exclude them from the ERC Freeze. I probably don't even want to keep the combination as a permanent expression in my Content Library. I probably just want to use it right now in the scene I'm working on. So exiting the Expression Mixer script, and creating a control property, doing ERC Freeze, and then dialing the new control property seems a bit of an overkill to accomplish what I want to do. My wish is for a slider in the Expression Mixer script itself that would just proportionally decrease/increase each of the used expression percentages after randomizing. A girl can wish, can't she!

Toonces said:

Sorry about that.  That "window" is actually just a menu.  Your menu must be so big that it looks like a window! smiley  You should be able to use the arrow keys to move around the menu (Edit: I see you already do that).  Hmm, I will have to investigate.

Thanks! Yeh it's likely just a limitation of Daz. I doubt there's a way to script a scrollbar into that dropdown menu. For folks with too many expressions like myself, uninstalling some lesser used products is an option. If a code change were to be made, perhaps the simplest would be to add more exclusions to your options tab. Maybe Exclude Freetext letting user type in stuff like 'Plentiful', 'Tongue', etc to exclude any expression sliders he/she would never want to use in such a randomizer anyway. That would free up more space for the menu to show everything remaining.

Submitted to Daz. smiley

Expression Mixer.jpg
    727 x 966 - 188K
    Expression Mixer Options.jpg
    727 x 966 - 145K

Dude, you just made my day!

You're one of the most recently prolific and responsive PA's I know!

Toonces said:

Dude, you just made my day!

You're one of the most recently prolific and responsive PA's I know!

Thank you for the kind words!  smiley 

You are very welcome.  Both of your suggestions were very useful and, importantly, *doable* in a reasonable time.  Changing how menus worked would have been really hard, but adding a user-configurable filter was an elegant solution to the problem.

Thank you!!! I'm excited to get and try the update. I think that will be a big upgrade to an already great script.

barbult said:

Thank you!!! I'm excited to get and try the update. I think that will be a big upgrade to an already great script.

You're welcome!  Hopefully it will be only a week... 2 at most.

Here's a randimized expression I mixed today. I call it Alexandra Angry Pout.

Alexandra Angry Pout Expression.jpg
    1236 x 1236 - 1M
    barbult said:

Here's a randimized expression I mixed today. I call it Alexandra Angry Pout.

That looks really good.  Made me laugh laugh

New Update is live.

Thanks for the update! The exclusion option works great, even if a little quirky.

It remembers the exclusions, even thru a reset, which is awesome. But the user has to remember, each time the dialog is opened, to click on Options and click once in the exclusions box (don't have to change it at least), then click back on the Mixer tab in order for it to kick-in and start functioning as an exclusion.

Also the exclusion logic appears to operate on name instead of label which makes it a little tricky since the dropdown menu shows the labels. I couldn't get this one to disappear, but once I looked up the name for it in daz, I saw it was different than the label. I plugged in the name and it disappeared as desired.

So overall, I'd say a successful update. I'm probably the only customer with too many expression, lol, so the two minor issues I found here are not really worth 'fixing', especially since the workarounds are super easy.

Also, I love the new intensity slider, it works great!!

Toonces said:

Thanks for the update! The exclusion option works great, even if a little quirky.

It remembers the exclusions, even thru a reset, which is awesome. But the user has to remember, each time the dialog is opened, to click on Options and click once in the exclusions box (don't have to change it at least), then click back on the Mixer tab in order for it to kick-in and start functioning as an exclusion.

Also the exclusion logic appears to operate on name instead of label which makes it a little tricky since the dropdown menu shows the labels. I couldn't get this one to disappear, but once I looked up the name for it in daz, I saw it was different than the label. I plugged in the name and it disappeared as desired.

So overall, I'd say a successful update. I'm probably the only customer with too many expression, lol, so the two minor issues I found here are not really worth 'fixing', especially since the workarounds are super easy.

Also, I love the new intensity slider, it works great!!

Thanks for the bug report.  I hadn't realized I was filtering on the name and showing the labels.  I will submit an update where it filters on the labels and it applies the filter at startup (not right away as I think I am sending too many bug fixes to Daz QA cheeky)

Thanks for the quick update. I'm pleased with the intensity slider. It has been useful already. I haven't tried the exclusion filter. I have a few questions/comments on the update:

1. I tried to type in a percentage number, like I can on the individual channels, but it wouldn't work. Is it supposed to?
    2. I thought the individual channel percentages would change to correspond to the change in overall intensity, kind of like an ERC CTRL slider. The fact that the individual channel percentages didn't change confused me at first. I do see the values change in the Parameters pane if that happens to be open to the area of Pose Controls that are being controlled.
    3. It would be nice to have the User Manual updated to explain the new features. The User Manual linked from the Readme page is out of date now.

barbult said:

Thanks for the quick update. I'm pleased with the intensity slider. It has been useful already. I haven't tried the exclusion filter. I have a few questions/comments on the update:

1. I tried to type in a percentage number, like I can on the individual channels, but it wouldn't work. Is it supposed to?
    2. I thought the individual channel percentages would change to correspond to the change in overall intensity, kind of like an ERC CTRL slider. The fact that the individual channel percentages didn't change confused me at first. I do see the values change in the Parameters pane if that happens to be open to the area of Pose Controls that are being controlled.
    3. It would be nice to have the User Manual updated to explain the new features. The User Manual linked from the Readme page is out of date now.

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Good catch.  Will be fixed in next release
    2. I wanted to be able for you to dial the intensity up and down.  If I changed the individual channels, the script would have to remember them somewhere else.  This is simpler code
    3. The manual was actually updated in the last release.  Unfortunately, it looks like the old manual was included as well.  Will get Daz to fix.