Landscape Modeling Software (Vue, Terragen, ?)

Comments

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited January 2018
    I also found that Bryce had a distinct look about it that put me off in the beginning. I could usually tell a Bryce render from a mile away, but after stumbling across some of David Brinnens tutorials on YouTube "sorry if I butchered the name" I realised it is possible to push it to some incredible heights. That was my ah-ha moment. I suppose its the same with Daz studio. Many people talk about the poser look that you always see on badly made book covers with stiff plastic looking models and flat lighting, but then you go onto the online gallery and you realise how incredibly powerful the program actually is in the right hands. That said I still often see the blocky Bryce look creeping into my foreground renders, so I tend to use it almost exclusively for background work that I then insert in post or as a backdrop in iray. I've purchased the Bryce training so that may change but even if i never get it right its still worth every penny if you only ever use it as a mountain/ sky generator
    Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • th3Digit said:
    Finlaena said:
    th3Digit said:

Bryce

Get them to update it so it's 64-bit and can run on macOS Sierra/High Sierra, and _then_ I might consider it.

Me?

whoa ok, now where is that placard and airline ticket to Utah, damn I have no passport

Hahaha! 

See, I really want to use Bryce (and Carrara), because it at least looks like it'd run much faster than Vue. I tried the basic/free version of Vue a while back, and it nearly murdered my iMac, if not caused it to go to an absolute crawl. It has fairly decent specs (it's a 2015 model with a custom 32GB RAM update), but, whooof, Vue was just too much for it to handle. Granted, Macs aren't exactly known for being 3D powerhouses like PCs are these days, but my machine can do a decent if somewhat grainy Iray render if I don't push it too hard.

I guess my hope is that since they've resurrected Hexagon from the digital grave, they do the same to Bryce someday soon. I love the idea of terrain generators. I guess it'd be too much to ask for one that won't eat up RAM and GPU/CPU faster than you can say 'Pac-Man', but I'd like to think Bryce would be the one. 

Maybe I can get it to work on my Mac if I crowbar it hard enough, haha. Hasn't stopped me from getting Windows-only programs and using means to make them work for me (i.e. CrossDress 4 + Wine/Wine Bottler). 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Well, if they want a full suite of 3d apps to corral users into, they'll definitely need a landscape generator so I think there's a future for Bryce... but maybe not for a couple of years yet.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Early this morning EON posted on FB that they are still hard at it but unable to provide an estimate of when they would be back up. 

Shawn Driscoll, on the VUE forum on another site indicated that they have a huge amount of security patching, new web framework to install, and then data migration to do.

• Greymom said:
    Shawn Driscoll, on the VUE forum on another site indicated that they have a huge amount of security patching, new web framework to install, and then data migration to do.

I'm pretty sure that was speculation or assumption, not insider knowledge.

Greymom said:

I'm pretty sure that was speculation or assumption, not insider knowledge.

Richard, that is very likely.  One person had a direct email from one of the EON folks some days ago (on the 26th), and the rest that have I have seen have been on the EON FB page, mostly to reassure a few people that they are still there and working on it.  None of the messages had real information.

While I am somewhat nervous about what is going on over there (as I would bet other VUE/Plant Factory users/potential users on this forum are as well), in terms of relative level of investment of "Hobby Money", if DAZ3D was down for this long with so little information, I would require sedation  laugh

Hey, this might be the time for DAZ3D to buy EON from Bentley Systems!  Integration of DS, Carrara and VUE would be a killer combo!  Think about it???  Nudge, nudge, Wink, Wink, say no more.....

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:

While I am somewhat nervous about what is going on over there (as I would bet other VUE/Plant Factory users/potential users on this forum are as well), in terms of relative level of investment of "Hobby Money", if DAZ3D was down for this long with so little information, I would require sedation  laugh

LMAO! A lot of us would ;). :P

Laurie​

Folks: I sent two activation requests and some questions to EON customer support, and they were back to me in just a few minutes. My questions were answered, and I am on the list for activation codes, they said I would probably get them tomorrow. They are trying their best!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Greymom said:

Folks: I sent two activation requests and some questions to EON customer support, and they were back to me in just a few minutes. My questions were answered, and I am on the list for activation codes, they said I would probably get them tomorrow. They are trying their best!

Well, looks like I may go with Terragen instead after all. I've been trying some of the tutorials from Geek At Play and the node system doesn't seem TOO daunting and I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. I've lost confindence in the other, and since they're similar prices it didn't take too much thought. Besides, last time I tried Vue a rather simple render took forever. Terragen seems like it renders faster.

Laurie

Received my VUE and Plant Factory activation codes as promised, sales now available:  [email protected]

Yeah so... I’ve been trying since the 17th to buy the software. It takes them 2-4 days to answer a simple question.  They still haven’t told me how they want to accept payments. They’re not offering any apology discounts or guarantees I’ll be able to sign up for the cheap upgrade path once it’s available again. I love Vue. But I am out of patience and abou to start forcing my brain to ‘get’ Terragen now.  

• Yeah so... I’ve been trying since the 17th to buy the software. It takes them 2-4 days to answer a simple question.  They still haven’t told me how they want to accept payments. They’re not offering any apology discounts or guarantees I’ll be able to sign up for the cheap upgrade path once it’s available again. I love Vue. But I am out of patience and abou to start forcing my brain to ‘get’ Terragen now.  

You might be able to purchase through a reseller like https://www.motionmedia.com ; You could ask their customer service if they can get still get licenses from e-on (they still have their stuff listed).  I've had good expereince with Motion Media (my purchase was for another product, not one of e-on's).

Even if you buy it from someone else, as long as you get a serial number, you should be able to get a manual activation code from EON admin.  They told me that I should install the software, get the install code from the 'about" section, and send both the serial number and install code to them.  They sent me an activation code within a day.

Yeah, other people seem to be having better interactions with them. I don't feel like I'm asking for anything strange, and yet... I've been trying since the 17th to get them to accept ridiculous amounts of money and they just don't seem to want it.

So I'm poking at Terragen and a couple basic tutorials definitely made it more comprehensible. I don't know if I want the pro version (more expensive than Vue) or the Creative version (less expensive) though. Perhaps while I'm trying to sort that out, E-On will come around.Although if I get another email that is something other than an invoice I... well, I feel like I've been very patient.

Though wow, that motion media site even has electronic delivery?

You know, the very first thing I did back in December when I discovered the site was down was ask on their social media if anywhere else was selling the product. They never did answer me.

Thanks SO MUCH RobotHeadArt! I ordered from MotionMedia last night and chatted with their support this morning and they said that while Vue orders have to be manually processed, they have sorted out the 'getting license keys' thing and will be sending me what I need directly. So while I'm glad I took some time to get to know Terragen (and I think some of the procedural shading is really simple and powerful) I have also headed back to my Trial Vue lessons where I'm.... ok, grumping at my CPU and wondering what that strange staticy sound is when I select different Materials but also refreshing my memory on what I want to do with it and bouncing happily.

Now I just have to decide if I also want The Plant Factory...

Thanks, RobotHeadArt!  I had never heard that there were any other vendors for E-ON products.

edited February 2018

Guess what! I'm STILL WAITING! Because Motion Media has to submit the purchase order to -- you guessed it, E-ON! So... I purchased late the night before last. Yesterday, they submitted the order and charged me. Because, as I am WELL AWARE NOW, E-ON is in Europe, I resigned myself near 3pm PST to waiting until the next day-- TODAY-- to get my license key and download link and all that.

I woke up. I have nothing! And because it is now the end of reasonable business hours in Europe, on a Friday, I guess I will have no chance of getting the license and download link until maybe Monday. So... same boat as before, indefinite waiting, except now I've actually spent the money.

And I can't seem to stop myself from wondering if I want to add-on Plant Factory Artist, because I am a glutton for punishment. crying

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Sorry to hear you have to wait sad, but at least you can still work on the tutorials with the PLE version (just trying to find an upside).

Thinking about it reminded me of the good old days, when everything was on physical media. Most things weren't available locally, so you would place an order, and wait a week to two weeks to get your software. I still remember how hard it was to wait to get the upgrade from Carrara Studio 2 to Carrara Studio 3 (Sept. 2003). Much more convenient now, but I do miss the fun of opening the box, and having a real printed manual to read. Getting software used to be a tactile experience too.

edited February 2018

I remember those days. I used to LOVE opening the box and reading the manual.

Also:

Got it downloaded and activated. Now if only Cornucopia would come back so I could get more of those marvelous mercurial .veg files.

1st beach.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 252K
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 932

Got it downloaded and activated. Now if only Cornucopia would come back so I could get more of those marvelous mercurial .veg files.

Congrats! Welcome to Vue! No need to wait for Cornucopia, you can get quite a few very nice plants right here at DAZ in Vue format (.veg) form Martin Frost: https://www.daz3d.com/martinjfrost

and Alessandro also has several static models available in Vue (.vob) format in his store (the Mesozoic once are really nice!).

Ciao

TD

• krickerdkrickerd Posts: 184

I wonder if E-On is going to restore some more detail to their site.  It's really stripped down.  No detailed features for Vue.  Lots of stuff missing frown

edited April 2018

They now have an active blog on the site, although with much less news than I expected. They have stated that they are working to gradually restore funcionality, but I can't quite figure how it is taking so long.  Their main store did not have that many products or options.  I can only assume that there are not very many IT people assigned to the job.  Cornocopia will be more difficult due to the DRM/encryption, and they won't give an ETA on when that store might be back up.  Still, their product line is considerably smaller than that of Daz3D or Rendo.  I would really like to be able to DL my purchases, and register a newer version of VUE so that I can get the files that are locked to license.

At least the VUE and Plant Factory software teams are still actively working on improvements and the next versions.  They just issued updates/fixes for both VUE 2016 and Plant Factory 2016.  There is a persistent rumor that the next full versions of those products is nearing completion.

I keep my fingers crossed, my investment for VUE, both software and hardware, is considerable.frown

I hope that when everything is back up and working, that they will reward the faithful with a really good sale.   I have VUE Infinite 2015, but I would really like to get VUE 2016 or (2018?) with GPU-accelerated rendering.

Post edited by Greymom on
  • will2powerwill2power Posts: 270

I actually went with another software called World Creator 2. I looked at Vue and Terragen a lot over the years, and I even tried Worldmachine, but I never really cared for how they work. I don't really have anything bad to say about any of the ones I didn't select --most of it boiled down to a personal preference of how I choose to work. World Creator seemed to offer me a way of working that is more suited to my tastes. I like the fact that I can block out the landscape and work to a specific end in a more straight forward fashion. I bought the Pro version. The thing that was attractive to me is that the interface isn't overly complicated for what you do and it has a direct plugin for Unity, with plans in the works for an Unreal plugin. You can work with Speedtrees in the application which is attractive if you are planning to render in those apps. I especially like the ease with which you can chart rivers and roads and I feel  like they put a lot of effort into their working tutorials --I don't like buying software and then having to hunt and hunt for tutorials to learn how to use it's features. 

E-ON has been posting some teasers, and some comments by support suggest that they are about to turn on at least the software activation servers, maybe more, "soon".

Thanks to a Media MOtion sale, I now also have Plant Factory 2016. Decided against the maintenance agreement/upgrade guarantee. Not sure when I'll actually use it enough to justify but it's been a long-standing goal and now it's mine.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

I actually went with another software called World Creator 2. I looked at Vue and Terragen a lot over the years, and I even tried Worldmachine, but I never really cared for how they work. I don't really have anything bad to say about any of the ones I didn't select --most of it boiled down to a personal preference of how I choose to work. World Creator seemed to offer me a way of working that is more suited to my tastes. I like the fact that I can block out the landscape and work to a specific end in a more straight forward fashion. I bought the Pro version. The thing that was attractive to me is that the interface isn't overly complicated for what you do and it has a direct plugin for Unity, with plans in the works for an Unreal plugin. You can work with Speedtrees in the application which is attractive if you are planning to render in those apps. I especially like the ease with which you can chart rivers and roads and I feel  like they put a lot of effort into their working tutorials --I don't like buying software and then having to hunt and hunt for tutorials to learn how to use it's features. 

I've never heard of this, but it seems capable of creating some outstanding landscapes

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    TheKD said:

It's been a few years since I messed with vue, but when I last did, the render engine was really really slow. Like rendering for days or weeks slow.

...I had the same experience with the trial version.which locked out some features I wanted to try as well as kept slapping that watermark on the rendered image.

The other issue with Vue, (besides the initial cost to actually be able to do meaningful work with it) it is very difficult to pose figures in and you have to redo all your materials. Tue you have to adjust materials in Carrara but I find it's material tab to be much more intuitive and you can easily pose Daz characters in it (including Genesis, G2 and even G3 now). 

Yeah. Vue definitely isn't for posing Daz figures in. I've done okay exporting pre-posed figures but it was never my primary usage expectation.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038

I really wanted to use VUE so I bought it and found it very difficult to learn to use.  I also found that it kept freezing or crashing.  And it was so resource intensive that I couldn't create complex scenes.  I've been doing 3D art for over 10 years and use a variety of software without much problem - and VUE is the most troublesome.