HDR Canvas

ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 2,384

So I've got all the other canvas stuff going, but I can't seem to find a way to get the HDR (as seen from the camera) output as a separate render canvas. I suppose I could hide all the objects in the scene and do another render of just the HDR, but that's too painful.

Thanks.  

Comments

• HanabiHanabi Posts: 346

Do a canvas with just a null node selected? Haven't tried it myself, but in theory that should work?

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 2,384

Thanks, good idea. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to recognize a null as a node. It wasn't listed in the possible nodes. I even tried to use "node from selected", but that didn't work either. 

Hm. You could select all your objects and add them to a group, and then toggle visibility by the group?

Or maybe a canvas with an empty group? Or a small primitive that is actually off-camera?

Some of these are probably hare-brained....I apologize. I just woke up a bit ago. Not enough coffee yet for proper brain function.

edited January 1

Thanks, yeah I thought the same things. Tried to make a null with invisible objects, but it doesn't like that either. I'll try the off-camera object.

EDIT: I must be doing something dumb. The rendered image is just black when I use a Beauty pass canvas, no alpha, and the only node selected is off camera. That should work....

Post edited by ebergerly on

Have you taken the extra into Photoshop (or another image program) and used HDR Toning?

Hanabi said:

Have you taken the extra into Photoshop (or another image program) and used HDR Toning?

I assumed since it was black there was nothing to tone...if it's just the HDR background shouldn't it be full white?

The only thing that seems to work is your idea of putting everything in the scene into a group, and making the group invisible. But that's a separate render, not a canvas.

I'm wondering if the HDR's don't existing in canvas land. 

I get exr canvases when I render a beauty canvas.

Let me drag myself to my computer and do some tests.

Yeah, the main image is black but the exr is just shadows with an alpha...

Okay, so that's really odd to me, but any time I try to render a canvas based on nodes from selection, it's all just black. Not just beauty, but all of them.

Yup, that's what I'm seeing. 

Thanks for working on this. I sure appreciate it. 

I'm more and more convinced that when canvases come in the door, HDR's go out the window. smiley