A dForce Dress Challenge

For any of you who may be curious as to how I got the girl's dress to drape over the back of the horse, while riding up naturally along her legs... Or for anyone who just wants a laugh... I decided to post these screenshots. This is not a step-by-step tutorial, but a simple illustration of what can be done with d-Force with a little imagination. I hope it's helpful.

Full version can be seen in my gallery at: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/496226/

Girl and Horse Jumping 01.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 1M
Girl and Horse Jumping 02.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 941K
Girl and Horse Jumping 03.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 949K
Girl and Horse Jumping 04.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 987K
Girl and Horse Jumping 05.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 824K
Girl and Horse Jumping 06.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 935K
Girl and Horse Jumping 07.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 804K
Girl and Horse Jumping 08.jpg
2199 x 1713 - 822K
Girl and Horse Jumping 10.jpg
2600 x 2514 - 4M

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Wow, cool, thanks for the instructions. 

• AreynaAreyna Posts: 24

Thanks, nonesuch00, glad I could help. Trick is using gravity to your advantage. :)

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897

Oh, that looks great. Thank you for sharing!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Clever - thanks for sharing!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2018

That's beautiful. Areyna! Great work and thanks for the tips. I never thought to try that upside down. I have done a couple now where I've draped dresses over other items. 

In this one, I put a static dForce modifier on the log and used timeline animation drape. This worked since she started out standing and then was slowly sitting down on the log.

Here I had to be more creative with the timeline. The chair started out away from her and came into final position in the last few frames (otherwise, explosion city.)

Brenda-G3_Llynara.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 701K
    dForce-Monica_Llynara.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 645K
    Post edited by Llynara on

Llynara - beautiful examples!

• AreynaAreyna Posts: 24

Thank you, Mary Baker. Good luck with your renders!

Thank you, Phil! Thanks for telling me about dForce when it first came out! Love it!

And Lynara, those are gorgeous renders! I learned about moving a bench toward the subject when I bought the dForce Trumpet dress. It came with a full scene with timeline. So I could see the bench move into place. That's what gave me the idea of using "animation" to position the subject and objects in such a way that at the end of the animation, the fabric drapes where you want it to. (With patience and a little trial and error). Your second render is a perfect example of this. And I love how the fabric drapes over the back of her leg as well! Great job! And I really like the first example you shared of the woman "carefully" sitting down on the log. I'm excited that we can now do seated figures. Thanks for sharing these. :)

• Llynara said:

That's beautiful. Areyna! Great work and thanks for the tips. I never thought to try that upside down. I have done a couple now where I've draped dresses over other items. 

In this one, I put a static dForce modifier on the log and used timeline animation drape. This worked since she started out standing and then was slowly sitting down on the log.

Here I had to be more creative with the timeline. The chair started out away from her and came into final position in the last few frames (otherwise, explosion city.)

Wow!! Where is that log from? I must have it!

edited January 2018

Thank you all! I'm having a blast playing with dForce. When it works, it works well. I still blow up a lot of things. 

@karuki That's from ShaaraMuse3d's Paralia Beach set at Rendo: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/3d-scenery-paralia-beach/119171/

Her stuff is made for Poser but most of it works fine in DAZ with minor tweaks.

By the way, the stool and pose in the second image are freebies from Zeddicuss's site. 

edited January 2018

TIP: If you have trouble with some of the newer dForce outfits slipping weirdly on the character and not following them in animation drapes, make sure you have the latest version of DAZ studio.

I was struggling with this gorgeous FREE dForce dress from 3dkRender.com. It was not following the character right. I had a couple of other dForce items doing that too and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Turned out, I missed a DAZ update and didn't realize it. I was on 4.10.0.107 and the latest is .123. It does make a difference- they must've fixed some dForce things. This dress works beautifully in the latest version and is adorable! You can find it here: https://www.3dkrender.com/freebies/dressmolt (there are G3 and G8 versions, both are free right now.)

dForce-Molt-Dress.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 964K
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152

Very nice. Studio crashes on me when I try to pose a single Vicky wearing the MFD in a standing pose.

Llynara - thanks for the link, that looks to be a lovely dress, and such good value!

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Areyna said:

For any of you who may be curious as to how I got the girl's dress to drape over the back of the horse, while riding up naturally along her legs... Or for anyone who just wants a laugh... I decided to post these screenshots. This is not a step-by-step tutorial, but a simple illustration of what can be done with d-Force with a little imagination. I hope it's helpful.

Looks really great.

I've played around with primitives trying to add some "undressing" effect to stuff that has no morphs for it. Nothing to show yet, though, but I have high hopes... Using the "head down, legs up and let's move the figure down through a sphere to push his pants up to his knees" did work... kinda... wink

I'll look forward to seeing your results - sounds interesting!

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited November 2018
    Areyna said:

Full version can be seen in my gallery at: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/496226/

Thank you for sharing this information. 

I couldn't follow exactly what you did, but it got me thinking of a different way to get a rider wearing a dForce dress to drape on a DAZ Horse 2. This is my first experiment to see if this simple method would work.  I thought I would share my method to see if anyone had any improvements or suggestions.

The process I used was (See attached screenshot for simulation settings and sample frames):

1. In the dForce settings, I turned "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" to "OFF" and "Frames To Simulate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range".
    2. At frame 30, I set a keyframe for the final rider pose
    3. At frame 0, I set a keyframe for the rider at a restored figure pose and moved the figure to above the rear end of the horse.
    4. Then I ran the simulation

dressRider_t.jpg
    462 x 1609 - 135K
    dressRider.jpg
    960 x 960 - 207K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • Thanks to everyone sharing their techniques here. Sitting can be tricky with dForce.

• Detniat said:

Thanks to everyone sharing their techniques here. Sitting can be tricky with dForce.

PsiDeschain suggested to keep the rider stationary in pose and move the horse into place from under her. The advantage it would have is when the figure moves with a dforce dress/clothing, the clothing can twist or bunch up due to air resistance. But if the figure was stationary and the horse moves into position, then the only movement of the dress would be due to the horse.  I like that idea and will have to try it out since I was having that problem moving the figure. 

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    Llynara said:

TIP: If you have trouble with some of the newer dForce outfits slipping weirdly on the character and not following them in animation drapes, make sure you have the latest version of DAZ studio.

I was struggling with this gorgeous FREE dForce dress from 3dkRender.com. It was not following the character right. I had a couple of other dForce items doing that too and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Turned out, I missed a DAZ update and didn't realize it. I was on 4.10.0.107 and the latest is .123. It does make a difference- they must've fixed some dForce things. This dress works beautifully in the latest version and is adorable! You can find it here: https://www.3dkrender.com/freebies/dressmolt (there are G3 and G8 versions, both are free right now.)

Guess I'm too late.  The dress isn't at their site anymore. The link says 'oops that page cannot be found'. Is the link correct, or do you think it's just gone?  Thanks.

• Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing the screenshots. I hadn't realized you answered back when I posted on your gallery image. As you said, I did finally get the hang of it. I've had some modesst success with dForce since my gymnast. I'm glad she got the cogs moving in your head a little. :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

This is one I did recently

Autumn Winds #Gallery

Stuff I used

deForce - Gypsy Dress for G8F -  By Lully at rendo   I just used the default deforce settings and added a deforce wind node and set the wind to around 10mph ,

The hair is by RPublishing Julia Hair for G3 and G8 Daz   and used a basic deforce hair wieghtmap preset and used the same wind node for the dress on the hair so it match.

The back ground is from the enchanted forest set I made, that you can get for free here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286826/8-free-enchanted-forest-back-grounds

Areyna said:

Thank you for sharing this information. 

I couldn't follow exactly what you did, but it got me thinking of a different way to get a rider wearing a dForce dress to drape on a DAZ Horse 2. This is my first experiment to see if this simple method would work.  I thought I would share my method to see if anyone had any improvements or suggestions.

The process I used was (See attached screenshot for simulation settings and sample frames):

1. In the dForce settings, I turned "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" to "OFF" and "Frames To Simulate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range".
    2. At frame 30, I set a keyframe for the final rider pose
    3. At frame 0, I set a keyframe for the rider at a restored figure pose and moved the figure to above the rear end of the horse.
    4. Then I ran the simulation

very nicce render :)

edited November 2018

This one is not a horse but she is riding a lady bug .. wearing the same gypsy dress as above

Lady Bug Ride  #Gallery

Post edited by Ivy on
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited November 2018
    Ivy said:

This one is not a horse but she is riding a lady bug .. wearing the same gypsy dress as above​

Fantastic image Ivy

I tried another test, this time I tried "dForce Wise Wizard HD Clothes for Genesis 8 Male(s)" with "Battle Cat" and a little post work in Photoshop to get rid of the fur poking through the armor ;)

WizardRider01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 168K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • EC3DEC3D Posts: 131

Thank you this will help loads. :)

• Thank you all, I used half of this very sunday to get a cloak draped over a horsebody without any luck before I found this little thread. Will definetly bookmark it.