Questions about upgrading to Poser Pro 11

I just got PPro 11 and had some questions before I start the upgrade. I don't have an account on the SmithMicro forums, I thought I'd try here first.

1. I mainly use Daz Studio with PPro 2012 installed alongside it. So should I uninstall that before installing 11, or just overwrite it? Will it mess up my Poser content libraries in Daz Studio?

2. I opted not to shell out 8 bucks for SmithMicro's extended download service, so I'm only able to download it for 30 days. The extended download svc would extend that time to 2 years, but I figure I have a mirrored raid volume and I can also copy it to a thumbdrive or burn to a dvd. Has anyone else done it this way? Also, what happens when an upgrade becomes available? Do you get to download that for free?

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Kitsumo said:

I just got PPro 11 and had some questions before I start the upgrade. I don't have an account on the SmithMicro forums, I thought I'd try here first.

1. I mainly use Daz Studio with PPro 2012 installed alongside it. So should I uninstall that before installing 11, or just overwrite it? Will it mess up my Poser content libraries in Daz Studio?

2. I opted not to shell out 8 bucks for SmithMicro's extended download service, so I'm only able to download it for 30 days. The extended download svc would extend that time to 2 years, but I figure I have a mirrored raid volume and I can also copy it to a thumbdrive or burn to a dvd. Has anyone else done it this way? Also, what happens when an upgrade becomes available? Do you get to download that for free?

1) You will download a Smith Micro Poser Installer - the equivalent of sorts of the DAZ DIM and download Poser 11 & all it's content. When you go to actually install Poser 11 the installer will uninstall older versions of Poser. If you uninstall Poser content via the uninstallers created by the Poser content installers it will only delete the content installed by those installers and not content installed by other installers, eg very old DAZ 3D content or Renderosity content manually installed won't be removed. When you then install the poser 11 content you will get updated where applicable Poser content but mostly the same Poser 2012 content and older installed once again.

2) I also didn't buy 2 year download insurance as that is much too expensive. I just downloaded to 2GB Seagate Firecuda SSHD content drive and copied the installer to a SSD drive. By the way, you'll be able to download past two years even without the download insurance. How else can you get service packs for example? 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Cool. Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I'm guessing Poser 11 will install to it's own directory so I'll have stuff sitting in the old Poser Pro 2012 directory but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    edited December 2017

The installation went off without a hitch ... mostly.

When I try to install Poser 11 Content Updater for Win (using SM Download Manager) it doesn't recognize the directory PPro 11 is installed in. I've tried pointing it to the directory Poser is in and the one that my content is in (on a separate drive) but it won't accept either one of them. Has anyone else experienced this? Other than that, Poser 11 seems to be working fine.

Update: After searching the SM forums, I rechecked my SM Download Manager. The Poser 11 Content Update has version 11.0.xxxx but everything that's already installed is version 11.1.xxxx. So I guess I don't need this update.

Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • Kitsumo said:

The installation went off without a hitch ... mostly.

When I try to install Poser 11 Content Updater for Win (using SM Download Manager) it doesn't recognize the directory PPro 11 is installed in. I've tried pointing it to the directory Poser is in and the one that my content is in (on a separate drive) but it won't accept either one of them. Has anyone else experienced this? Other than that, Poser 11 seems to be working fine.

yes and I ended up ignoring the update

I had no problem personally but I had had Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev installed & allowed the multiple Poser Pro 11, update, and content installers to uninstall everything old and install everything new. I did manually choose to choose the Poser content directory for all the content installers although I hadn't needed to change the actual default path I chose when I chose the original content path installer Poser Pro 11  I did that to doublecheck they were correct (they were).

Others in the Smith Micro Poser forums talked about similar problems to you so you should ask there for first hand experience with your problem.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 2017

If you installed via SMDM, you shouldn't need the content update....

Post edited by WandW on
  • I have both GameDev 2014 and 11.1 installed. I did not receive any prompts to uninstall anything. I may have disabled that option in SMDM when I upgraded to 2014, can't recall.

I was surprised to see the Kinect Capture module in 11, since I had to pay extra for GameDev to get that.

I have both GameDev 2014 and 11.1 installed. I did not receive any prompts to uninstall anything. I may have disabled that option in SMDM when I upgraded to 2014, can't recall.

I was surprised to see the Kinect Capture module in 11, since I had to pay extra for GameDev to get that.

I had Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev and definately got the prompt to deinstall it when Poser Pro 2011.1 Installer was run from within the SMDM to which I said yes. Then I had already a SR Update already for Poser Pro 2011.1 which I then installed.

But before I did that though, I manually de-installed all the Poser Pro 2014 Content, all of it, via the SMDM though before I installed Poser Pro 2011.1 once I found out that Poser Pro 2011.1 was going to insist on installing it's Content with a path name that has 2011 in it's name if I installed it via the SMDM. That still left the non-SMDM content for Poser in place though. I then manually re-named the Poser Content directory to be what Poser Pro 2011.1 expects by default.

Then I installed all the SMDM Poser 2011.1 Content after downloading it.

Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev has been merged with Poser Pro 2011 and that is why you didn't have to pay extra for Game Dev licenses & functionality like Kinect.